Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'c & d series'.
Found 1 result
Working three horses with Sundstrand hydros and knowing that the day would surely one day come when Iâ€™d need to fix one of them I acquired a â€˜for spares or repairsâ€™ C-121 auto early this year Described as having an engine that was reluctant to start but will move forwards and backwards I found that whilst it was strong in both directions the hydro takes a while to jump into action once youâ€™ve finally managed to get the engine going. Itâ€™s a fault thatâ€™s appeared on the forum before and had clearly existed on this tractor for many years judging by the way the keyways on the hubs and axles had been totally destroyed by the jolting action, so much so in fact that a bolt through the axle and hub had been added on one side to transfer drive and keep the hub on! For the price I paid, it would provide an ideal opportunity to have a go at the disassembly and re-assembly of a hydro pump and motor without putting any of my fleet at risk. A nice little â€˜no pressureâ€™ learning exercise for the winter was in the offing. Seemed like a good scheme until only a few weeks later the hydro on my D-200 died, it had been working hard with no warning signs or sounds when it failed. Guessing that the symptoms i.e. no motion and no implement lift function could mean the splines on the pump drive had stripped (though Iâ€™ve learnt by now not to try second guessing Sundstrand faults) there was no option but to move the three point and ram etc across to my other D-200 for the season and the winter project now needed a bit of re-thinking. If I could cure the fault on the C-121 transmission and it was in otherwise good order I could perhaps use the motor from it for the D but there would be a problem with the pump in that the motion control shaft is on the opposite side for a D series resulting in needing to use some parts from the original D series pump to put together a suitable arrangement. What I really needed was a good pump with motion control shaft available on the correct side but here in the UK D series tractors rarely come up for sale, good hydros from one being parted out, never to my knowledge! Lady Luck smiled on me in September when a complete C-161 transaxle with believed to be good hydro appeared on a well known site and I managed to grab it for the starting bid price . In terms of the hydro, itâ€™s a Sundstrand 90-1173, same as used on the later D series, and has a â€˜universalâ€™ motion control shaft which protrudes from either side of the pump casing â€“ The tractor had been parted as the engine was beyond repair so there was a good chance the hydro was indeed good but that would need testing. To do this has meant putting the transmission onto the C-121, getting the engine to start and testing it out thoroughly. It went well in both directions then the real test of confronting an immoveable object with it. Even with weight on the seat, the rear tyres continued to excavate the surface of the drive so I guess the hydro can be considered to be good to use. It appears then that I have enough bits to stand a reasonable chance of getting the D-200 going again using the pump and motor from this transmission. It also means that Iâ€™ll be left with a good transaxle which I could use with the pump and motor unit from the C-121 and maybe that tractor is worth saving after all rather than being parted. If I can manage all of this then finally I get my chance with the old D pump and motor to have a go at disassembly and inspection etc. Trying to put all of this into a logical order, Iâ€™m going to take the head off the engine to hopefull find out what's up with it while the C-121 still has a good tranny attached and, while the 'jolting' tranny is off, I'll check out the acceleration valves as a first step. I donâ€™t have the time to be working on the project every day at the moment but Iâ€™ll keep you posted on progress and Iâ€™ll more than likely be needing to pick the brains of those of you with knowledge and experience. Hints, tips and advice always welcome.