Sign in to follow this  
MikesRJ

5003 Uni-Drive Transmissio Rebuild

MikesRJ

I posted this in my restoration thread, but have not received any answers. Since this is really the proper place for these questions, I thought I'd post them here. :thumbs2:

I have two questions for the RJ 5003 Uni-Drive Gurus;

1. This Question pertains to the needle bearings on the end of the brake shaft (ID 98, WH p/n 1518 - Manual Here). While cleaning, the needles fell out (yes, I'm sure I have them all). Are these needles supposed to be captive, or are they similar to a U-joint by design, where you just re-grease and re-stack them in? I suppose the real question is, should I replace the roller bearing along with everything else? There is no play when the adjacent shaft is installed, and I am hard-pressed for a part number or size because I've yet to remove the race. Assistance with this question would be a big help as well.

2. General Transmission Question: I heard tell that the transmission number plates on top of the transmission (if one is there) indicates the transmissions date of manufacture. I was told that the last digit on the plate indicates the year. So if you have D17-8 on the plate you have a 1958, and conversely if it reads D17-9 it's a 1959. Can anyone confirm this as truth, or is it a good guess at best?

linen beige

2. General Transmission Question: I heard tell that the transmission number plates on top of the transmission (if one is there) indicates the transmissions date of manufacture. I was told that the last digit on the plate indicates the year. So if you have D17-8 on the plate you have a 1958, and conversely if it reads D17-9 it's a 1959. Can anyone confirm this as truth, or is it a good guess at best?

There may be some thruth to this. :thumbs2:

The raised casting that looks like a plate on my 1960 ST400 reads "G28-9". It is a model 5010 transmission. I know for sure this is the original transmission to this tractor (my dad bought it in 1960). My 1960 ST 400 parts tractor has "E 27-0" cast onto it. My dad's machine is an early 1960 and my parts tractor is a later 1960.

Since the 5003 and 5010 use the same center case it may be that daddy's early one was built using a left over '59 center casting? :thumbs:

Does anybody have a late 401 with a "1" as the last digit on the "tag"?

Any numbers other than "8", "9", "0", or "1" ?

(I'll check the numbers on my RJ-58 later in the daylight).

MikesRJ

Then it sounds like it's certainly a plausible idea at least. Let me know what you see on your RJ58 and I would be interested in what anybody else sees on their machines.

linen beige

I checked the numbers on my RJ-58. They are C26-9.

It is possible that this one has had the tranny changed but it sure looks to be original to the machine.

oldandred

On your question about the neddle bearing the ends of the cap the neediles are in are suppose to be bent up just a little so they dont fall out and if youres fell out why take a chance if they came out one time Im sure you wouldnt want them to come out after the rebuild

So replace them or just the one that the needles fell out of

a little price to pay now and a big price to pay after

MikesRJ

I checked the numbers on my RJ-58. They are C26-9.

It is possible that this one has had the tranny changed but it sure looks to be original to the machine.

And the intact serial tag says RJ-58, huh? That is odd, as it seems to be no rhyme or reason to the numbers.

MikesRJ

On your question about the neddle bearing the ends of the cap the neediles are in are suppose to be bent up just a little so they dont fall out and if youres fell out why take a chance if they came out one time Im sure you wouldnt want them to come out after the rebuild

So replace them or just the one that the needles fell out of

a little price to pay now and a big price to pay after

You are right, sir. It has already been replaced. NAPA was able to match the part for me. Now I'm just waiting on the bronze bearings and R12's.

clintonnut

C26-9= March 26,1959.

C is the 3rd letter in the alphabet so it is the 3rd month.

Remember that there is a period of time that the casting would sit on the shelf until used so the tractor could have been built in the end of april.

Charlie

linen beige

C26-9= March 26,1959.

C is the 3rd letter in the alphabet so it is the 3rd month.

Remember that there is a period of time that the casting would sit on the shelf until used so the tractor could have been built in the end of april.

Charlie

Yet this tranny is on an RJ-58. This begs the question...When did Wheel Horse change to the RJ-59 model designation? Did they continue to produce tractors with serial number decals that read RJ-58 until they ran out of those decals? That would help explain why there were some 20,000 '58s but far fewer '59s. :thumbs2:

My 400 that has been in my family since 1960 shows G28-9, or Aug 28 1959. Was the center part of this tranny left over from '59 or did the 1960 models come a few months early? If they did come early that would help acount for the low number of '59s.

MikesRJ

G28-9, or Aug 28 1959

If I understand what Charlie is getting at, then G28-9 would be July 28, 1959 for yours with a probable build month of August or September.

Mine reads D17-9, or April 17, 1959. Which means, I suppose, I am not working on an RJ58 but rather an RJ59 or an RJ58 with a replaced transmission? :thumbs2:

linen beige

If I understand what Charlie is getting at, then G28-9 would be July 28, 1959 for yours with a probable build month of August or September.

Mine reads D17-9, or April 17, 1959. Which means, I suppose, I am not working on an RJ58 but rather an RJ59 or an RJ58 with a replaced transmission? :thumbs2:

Good catch! I didn't count my months correctly. If that is a casting date it only means that part was cast on that date. This tranny is original to my 400 and may have been assembled much later using a case that was cast in July of '59.

My RJ-58 has a cast date of March 26 '59. My question is when did Wheel Horse start using the model number RJ-59? The production numbers we have say that there were 20,000 RJ-58s produced yet only 2500 RJ-59s. That is a drop in production that would cause great concern to the management of any company, especially a relatively new and growing one, unless the production year for '58 was considerably longer than it was for '59.

In other words, if the casting numbers on the tranny housings are in fact casting dates we have a bit of evidence to suggest that the RJ-58 was produced well in to '59 and production of the 1960 models may have begun in late '59, cutting the production year for '59 models short on both ends.

Do any of the more knowledgable gurus have any info or thoughts on this? :thumbs:

MikesRJ

In other words, if the casting numbers on the tranny housings are in fact casting dates we have a bit of evidence to suggest that the RJ-58 was produced well in to '59 and production of the 1960 models may have begun in late '59, cutting the production year for '59 models short on both ends.

Well, that just makes everything as clear as mud, doesn't it.

I agree that the numbers are skewed in favor of your comments, that the RJ58 was produced well into '59, and probably the RJ59 was only produced toward the end of 1959 and not the entire year.

Since all of the information collected thus far would lead me to the same conclusion, and I still have no idea what model I am restoring with any degree of certainty, I'll continue to refer to it as an RJ58. Until I can locate some compelling information to the contrary, I really see no other choice. But that does lead to the question; "What is the difference between an RJ58 and an RJ59, short of a sticker. Is there an identifying trait to a '59 compared to a '58?

Are there any unmolested RJ59 owners out there who can shed some light on this?

Coadster32

My 400 that has been in my family since 1960 shows G28-9, or Aug 28 1959. Was the center part of this tranny left over from '59 or did the 1960 models come a few months early?

Hey Linen Beige, perhaps you have a Ride-a-way Suburban, or a Suburban Junior, or maybe even a Suburbarideajuniorthingamaboppy.... Nevermind. Sorry. :thumbs2:

tgranthamfd

There may have been other quirks in that era, as well. For instance, wasn't the same hood stand used on the 58's, 59's, and the 61 suburbans but a totally different one on the 60 model suburbans??? Or could it be that I have gone completly Nuts. :thumbs: Not sure but I think my 60 suburban 400 had a 1 as the last letter on the casting. :ychain: It is a later 60 because of the front axle. :thumbs2:

CasualObserver
For instance, wasn't the same hood stand used on the 58's, 59's, and the 61 suburbans but a totally different one on the 60 model suburbans??? Or could it be that I have gone completly Nuts.