Sign in to follow this  
bustedglass

Dial-Up is DEAD !!!

bustedglass

Hi All,

Just a short note to let you know that I FINALY got HIGH SPEED DSL service out here in the sticks where I live. :thumbs: No longer will I have to put up with SLOW Dial-Up service :thumbs2: .

I can now look at all of the wonderful vids that you guys send, and it wont take all day to load all of the great pictures. So KEEP 'EM COMING .....

T-Mo

Congratulations, Mike. But I guess your area doesn't qualify for "being in the hicks". We STILL DON'T have DSL or cable here in my area - I'm stuck with Hughesnet. :thumbs2:

here 4 the horses

ahhh u lucky $%#$^# im still hummin with the ol dial up!!! hows the hughsnet??..im thinking aboiut getting it and how is the price??..thanks

Butch

Hi All,

Just a short note to let you know that I FINALY got HIGH SPEED DSL service out here in the sticks where I live. :ychain: No longer will I have to put up with SLOW Dial-Up service :thumbs: .

I can now look at all of the wonderful vids that you guys send, and it wont take all day to load all of the great pictures. So KEEP 'EM COMING .....

Dial-up? :thumbs2: Has that got something to do with those old rotary phones? :ROTF:

kajamo240

I have DSL. Luckily because I am 1 mile out of range but I still get a pretty good connection. So I am a happy in-between Dialup and DSL. Slow but steady... Dial up sucks! Far too slow for what I need.

What do you guys pay for hughes net? Word of mouth is that it is pretty spendy...

linen beige

Dial-up? :thumbs2: Has that got something to do with those old rotary phones? :thumbs:

My dad still uses the rotary dial phone that was installed in the kitchen of his house when it was built in 1956. When his local phone co. went to enhanced 911 they installed a converter box for him so he could keep using it.

Suburban 550

Mike, I remember dial-up well. Many times I felt like putting my fist through the monitor. :thumbs2: Good luck with it, hope you enjoy. :thumbs:

HorseFixer
Mike, I remember dial-up well. Many times I felt like putting my fist through the monitor.

Brian1045

:thumbs2: :thumbs:

T-Mo

ahhh u lucky $%#$^# im still hummin with the ol dial up!!! hows the hughsnet??..im thinking aboiut getting it and how is the price??..thanks

For those considering Hughesnet - it is expensive. The 1mb down load package is $59.95 a month, then $10 a month lease of the equipment. With that package you're limited to 200mb download and upload bandwidth usage. I have the 1.6mb package which has 425 mb bandwidth usage. It's $79.95 a month plus the monthly lease of $10.

here 4 the horses

For those considering Hughesnet - it is expensive. The 1mb down load package is $59.95 a month, then $10 a month lease of the equipment. With that package you're limited to 200mb download and upload bandwidth usage. I have the 1.6mb package which has 425 mb bandwidth usage. It's $79.95 a month plus the monthly lease of $10.

yea i know its $$$$$$$ is it fast?

Suburban 550

Wow T-Mo, That is one expensive package. :thumbs2:

T-Mo

Jeff,

It's a lot faster than dial up, but not as fast as DSL or cable. And if you go over your bandwidth allowance, the speeds slow down to below dial up speeds for 24 hours.

Ray,

Yes it's expensive - that's why I waited so long to get it. But waiting for DSL to come in my area, well, it's not going to happen anytime soon. (But, me buying Hughesnet for two years might expedite it) :thumbs2:

bustedglass

Well, 3 days of DSL service, and all I can say is :thumbs2: . I can finaly see all of Ians' vids and pics :thumbs: . And all of you who have posted pics and vids, you are keeping me up at nights :ychain: .

That hughsnet sounds like a good deal if all you have is dial-up. But,like T-Mo says, it aint cheap. That is why I did'nt have it. But, if you can afford it, shut the dial-up off, and go for it ....

Wilsonrl48747

For a while I was unable to get anything but dial up where I was, but we have cable internet now. However, I was able to get a good data connection with my cell phone, so I tethered it to my computer using the synch cable and was able to get decent speed, somewhere a little less than DSL. I realize this won't work for everyone, because typically out in the sticks cell reception is crummy too. Plus, my work paid for my cell phone and the unlimited data package, so it was free to me (cost them about $49.00 a month). That might be a worthwhile option for some of you guys to explore.