Sign in to follow this  
Duff

What paint to use

Duff

I had this tacked onto another thread but I think it got lost in the mix, so I'm posting it here as a new topic.........

On the two M-12's I'm rebuilding the fins on the heads are heavily corroded (oxidized?). I think the material is aluminum or an aluminum alloy? :thumbs2:

The question: If I wire brush these down to as close to bare, clean metal as I can, do I need a special primer to get paint to stick to the metal or will any decent high temp. paint adhere OK? Or should I forego paint altogether, and if so, what's a good way to minimize further corrosion?

Thanks for your help and patience! :ychain:

Duff :thumbs:

kpinnc

I have several engines painted with high temp paints, and I've had no problems applying them directly to the metal.

I do however, have one engine that runs a bit too hot that will eventually bake off the paint from the exhaust pipe, no matter what I seem to use. But, I think that is a fluke with that one specific tractor. I've had no other problems anywhere else.

Kevin

oldandred

Duff I had the same problem with two engines and used the paint used on wood stoves its flat black and does a good job even under high heat

Duff

Thanks for the info, guys! :thumbs:

Duff :thumbs2: