Sign in to follow this  
kj4kicks

proud new papa

kj4kicks

Hi Stephen, I like the gear reduction idea. I'm sure it would still wear out parts, like tie rods, etc, since it is still carrying all that weight. But at least it wouldn't wear me out! Just getting old, I guess.

Funny thing is, I jumped on the 1077 to do some mowing, and man, it felt like p/s since I had just been on the FEL. After about 10 minutes, I realized the 1077 had a nearly-flat RF tire, and it still steered easier! (and now I need a new tube!)

If you have a parts list for what I would need for the 520 conversion, I would certainly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Eldon.

PS. The FEL has 2-ply turf tires on the front. I think maybe a 4-ply straight tread would steer easier, also.

nylyon

Your fronts are Turf Trac R/S tires and should be 4 ply for 2 reasons. First the 4-ply will carry the weight second the 2-ply will inflate to only about 14 PSI, where the 4-ply can go to 28 PSI. The added air should help with the steering, but it will still steer hard.

kj4kicks

Thanks Karl, I'll be changing that ASAP. Anybody need a barely used set of front wheels & tires?

nylyon

Here's the 520 gear reduction system. You would probably want to get a 520 donor tractor, but then the 520 would probably make a better FEL host, not as good looking (did I ever mention I love C-160's), but a little more heavy duty.

steering.jpg

nylyon

Anybody need a barely used set of front wheels & tires?

I just replaced my front Turf-Trac R/S 2-Ply with 4-Ply on my 416-H. I put in a little more air into those and I did notice the difference in steering. I had greased everything up really good and it was like power steering. I don't think you want to replace the wheels, it is easy enough to take the tires off and on. The axle diameter's may be different, although I am not positive, because you have the HD kit on yours.

You can bring the FEL over to try it on my 416 to see if there's a difference with 4-ply :D I have just the job for it too!

Rollerman

Thanks for posting the parts breakdown Karl.

Eldon you should only need the 520 steering block & assembly.

Your steering wheel shaft & fan gear will go right into it...the steering wheel will sit a little higher.

With the exception of the hydro "C uses & sundstrand & 520 has an Eaton 11"

I'd say that C160 of your is just as tuff as a 520 if not better.

You already have the HD front end!

I like the 300,400, & 500 series tractor & not knocking them...but think the older C series are much simpler to work on & have a lot less bolted together tin to come lose?

My favorite horses are the early C style with the hood ornament & the tilting fender with a toolbox underneath.

They did away with the hood ornament the same time the started bolting the fender down.

Anyways not trying to create an argument...just what I've noticed .

Stephen in northern IN

nylyon

No argument from me since never having a FEL (heck, I didn't even have a snow blower until a month ago and the 416 drove a lot harder with it raised up) so I have no experience with it on any tractor. I was just thinking that the 520 would be better (technically) because of the swept front axle giving more wheel base and stability, coupled with the Eaton and reduced effort steering, the extra 4HP don't hurt either. But then again I don't have a 520 either! :D

I'll agree with one thing, the C-160 is my favorite regardless of anything else, and would be my first choice. Eldon, it looks like your C-160 pair are of different years. The FEL has the fixed fenders and the parts C-160 has the lift up fender with the tool box underneath?

kj4kicks

Hi Stephen & Karl, Thanks for all the great info! I will be checking in to the 520 parts.

The FEL has new front wheels & HD spindles on it. Notice the wheels are silver. Somewhere along the line, one of the original HD spindles got bent. I have the originals, and the original wheels (which are white). After I verify that they are the same size, I'll mount up a set of 4 ply's on the white wheels, and put them back on. There are actually a new pair of turf tires on them, also.

As for the lift up fenders, well, everything on the parts tractor lifts off (LOL) . There are very few bolts in it. The hood lifts off, the fender lifts off, etc. In all honesty, though, I think there are the wrong seat brackets on it. The FEL seat tilts forward, but there is no tool box under it.

Supper's ready.... I'll catch you all later.

Eldon.

nylyon

The fender pan on the spare C160 seems to lack the necessary access holes which is why I thought it had the tool box under there. You could turn it into a Nascar tractor and hold down the pans with hood pins :D

Curmudgeon

The standard and Heavy Duty spindles are both 3/4" in diameter, but the heavy duty spindles are longer to accommodate the wider spacing of the wheel bearings, which are also bigger in the HD kit. The HD kit also has thrust bearings between the spindle and axle to facilitate easier turning.

Dale

nylyon

Thanks Dale! I had wondered what made the HD axle kit so special and why it came with new tires and rims. I just looked up in the parts viewer for the 520 and the front wheels are a lot different, more automotive than Wheel Horse tractor. It sure would have been great if they would have put those thrust bearings on all tractors, would make things smoother especially with a plow or blower.

To think, I was going to buy a 520-H when I bought my 416, but the dealer told me the only difference was the engine size and the gauge cluster, and he didn't think that was worth the price difference. I suppose he was right for the first 13 years I used it to cut the grass and pull a trailer :D

Curmudgeon

Now I'm not 100% positive here, but I think the 520 has 1" spindles. And your dealer was wrong, there are WORLDS of difference between the 400 and 500 series tractors. Not just a couple horsepower and a few gauges.

The 400 series uses plain roller bearings in the front wheels, even the HD kit, the 500's have tapered. The forward swept axle, gear reduction steering, larger tires, the list goes on.

Dale

nylyon

And your dealer was wrong, there are WORLDS of difference between the 400 and 500 series tractors. Not just a couple horsepower and a few gauges.

I think that the other difference was about $1000 too. My 416 cost me $5100 and I think that the 520 was $6200, or there abouts.

kj4kicks

Hi All, The HD spindles also have an extra "L" shaped brace welded in where the bend is. Even with that, somehow they still get bent.

On the lookout now for a 520 front axle setup. Had the FEL up on 3 wheels once too often already! Also gonna put some wider wheels & tires on the back, and add some wheel weights.... Any suggestions? This tractor is just too short, and too narrow, to be moving buckets of stone around, especially on any kind of sideways grade.

Catch y'all later...

Eldon.

nylyon

I don't think you can go wrong with the 520 axle. I believe that the tie rod ends on the 520 are greasable as well. Every little bit will help. For the rear, you have a couple of options. If your current tire is 23x8.50-12, you can go to 23x9.50-12's without changing the rims. If you go with 23x10.50-12 you will need wider rims. To add some weight, you can get some wheel weights available in lots of places, and / or put tubes in the rear tires and fill them full of a fluid. Farmers used to use calcuim chloride. Be aware that a lot of this stuff is corosive and if you don't use tubes can eat your rims after a couple of years. The other thing you can do is buy a dual real wheel kit. This consists of spacers and bolts so you an put on 2 sets of rear tires. In the Wheel Horse brochure I have for my 1994 model, it shows the FEL on a 520 with the dual rear wheels (with AG's). That would probably give you some added stability as well.

Oh, if you do go with the 520 axle, you may need to paint it before putting it on. The newer Wheel Horses have a different color red. You have such a nice looking setup, would hate to see it spoiled....

nylyon

To add some weight, you can get some wheel weights available in lots of places, and / or put tubes in the rear tires and fill them full of a fluid. Farmers used to use calcuim chloride. Be aware that a lot of this stuff is corosive and if you don't use tubes can eat your rims after a couple of years.

As a precaution, the owners manual, for my 77, clearly states in the front end loader section NOT to fill the tires with fluid, as it will cause transmission damage. It actually says it twice....

kj4kicks

I was reading through the manuals, too. Luckily, I got a copy for the tractor and the FEL, from the previous owner. I'm leaning towards wider (and 4-Ply) tires, and then we'll see about more weight.

As for the wheels/tires.... Any idea where I can pick up a set of wider rear wheels? I don't want/need the fancy aluminum ones, just a wider version of the steel wheels.

I searched online, and came up empty on the wheels. I did find a good deal on 23x10.5x12 Carlisle 4-Ply Ag tires, for about $70 each! The same place also has 4-Ply ribbed fronts for about $25 each. They are at:

http://www.tiresunlimited.com/agr_ind.htm

if you want to take a peak.

Had the FEL out again today, and was using it to load stones into a dump trailer behind the 1077. Woulda make a great pic, and of course, the batteries were dead in the camera !!! Just use your digital imagination....

Later,

Eldon.

nylyon

I got my 4-ply tires for the front here: http://stores.ebay.com/GCT-Wholesale not too bad prices.

nylyon

Eldon, found on e-bay a 520 parts tractor. Item # 250158153062 would be good for the front axle, rear tires, steering and other misc HD parts.

kj4kicks

Nice catch Karl ! Thanks for the heads-up about the 520. As a bonus, it's only 70 miles from me. I have put it on my watch list. Hopefully it doesn't get out of hand.

Eldon.... with fingers crossed !