Sign in to follow this  
redstallion3201

wheel horse suburban

redstallion3201

Hey everyone i aquired a 1960 wheelhorse suburban. I had a few questions about it. First is it a 400 or a 550 because it had no engine and is there a way to definitely tell. Second is if the wheels are suppose to white or the almond color like i think they are suppose to be. Ive seen both colors on suburban but i want to get it right. Does anyone know how to get a hold of a good hood for a 1960 suburban. I know it is a 1960 because it has a square hole at the rear of the hood instead of the round one. The last question is the transmission is leaking. Do i just split it apart and make my own gaskets and how difficult is it to split it apart. Thanks for all the help, NATE!!!

Coadster32

First off, :thumbs2: . Nice to have another Suburban owner here. If you have any short peices of steel welded to the frame with threaded holes in them, you most likely have a 550/551. These peices were the hood stand custom for the 550/551 battery. The 400 had a "firewall" type hood stand that bolted directly to the frame. I'm not too sure what you mean by "square hole" in the hood, but the 61 throttle controls, were next to the steering wheel hole, were round as they were pull knobs. The 60 version was on the hood in back of the steering wheel hole and had a rectangular setup with slide controls. If you're tranny has "plates" on the side of them, then thats a 1960, unless it's a 1961 401. The 551 had a two peice casted rear end. I have a post, if you look for it in the transmission section. It has lots of pics of redoing a 3 speed, so you could see what you're getting yourself into. If you have the plated tranny, it's the same thing, with exception to the shift fork rail setup. They're not bad to work on. More pics of this are also in my post on 551 suburban restore. A few pics would go a long way, besides we like pics anyway. I do have a few Suburban parts left for sale if needed. Just ask. Good Luck.

• Like 1

CasualObserver

These peices were the hood stand custom for the 550/551 battery. The 400 had a "firewall" type hood stand that bolted directly to the frame.

Chris... the 400, 401 and 550 all used the same hood stand (3628) the solid wall with a hole for the fuel line. The 551 was the only one with the hood stand that held the battery. On a 550 the battery and solenoid were under the seat in the tool box. (See Ray's in the gallery for an example.. 1960 Suburban 550) Fenders and toolbox were standard on the 550/551 and optional on the 400/401.

Nate... Since you said you've got a 1960 because of the square choke/throttle control hole, I'd say you are correct. The only real differences between the 400 and the 550 is unfortunately the engine and the electrical start components, and possibly the hood. Examine your toolbox under the seat for any extra holes that would be from a solenoid mounting spot or evidence that there was a battery sitting in there. Also look just to the right of the steering column in the dash. Is the dash solid, is there a hole, or is there a plug? If it's solid, or there is a plug, your tractor was a 400, if there is a hole, your tractor might have been a 550. (also might not, because there could have been a plug and it was lost.) Click this picture to see the plug I'm talking about... this is my 400.

th_dashplate1.jpg

Wheel color for the Suburban was the standard linen beige, see posts about that in the painting section. Lots of recommendations on similar colors from multiple brands.

Finding a good hood is just about looking... check with GT salvage places, post wanted ads in the classifieds here and on the yahoo groups, and watch places like ebay and craigslist. Lots of parts and parts tractors out there.

Lastly, splitting the trans is not difficult. There is a manual available for download both from Toro and the Yahoo groups that walks you through the process step by step with some pictures. You say it's leaking... is it seeping from the side plates or from the seals around the axles , input shaft and brake shaft? Just replacing the seals is easy and can be done from the outside. If you do end up cracking into the tranny, the gaskets are still available, or you can make your own.... either... or.

Oh... and :thumbs2:

Coadster32

Chris... the 400, 401 and 550 all used the same hood stand (3628) the solid wall with a hole for the fuel line. The 551 was the only one with the hood stand that held the battery. On a 550 the battery and solenoid were under the seat in the tool box. (See Ray's in the gallery for an example.. 1960 Suburban 550) Fenders and toolbox were standard on the 550/551 and optional on the 400/401

Darn it, foiled again!! :thumbs:

Well at least I know now what I didn't know this morning. Sorry for the bum steer, and thanks for the correct info. Perhaps my 551 is more of a special breed than I thought. :thumbs2:

REDMRED

I have two suburbans which i thought both where 550s . one did not have motor, but had levers on dash with key on rite side. The other one was complete with h55b 1170 electric start, with plug on dash, it had a push button on side of hood .Did they come with push buttons.