Sign in to follow this  
bork

tinkering on dads ol' 1057, sat 10years+

bork

I want to start the engine, but 1st remove carb bowl & clean out & maybe replace fuel lines with adding a filter. tank looks good.(maybe dad emptied it out before he passed) Noticed cables frozen up from rust, sitting so long. So being a motorcycle guy, I wanted to try the "****** bag" on them before assuming replacement. Disconnected from engine(kept dash end as-is) & slid sandwich size baggy over tip of cable & poke thru in corner of baggy. rubber band up tight baggy around cable & get some kind of tripod or what ever to hang baggy/cable end higher than run, so gravity can let oil flow downhill. filled baggy with mineral spirts 1st to start flow(approx 1oz) . Good, flowed thru to the knob. Next put in your favorite lube.(approx 1oz) or more , but better have a catch pan below, if more. While oil is seeping downward you can work the cables. mine freed up & now work great! One can also use a hyperdermic needle for oil, but need a thin needle to get between casing & core, & takes a while to get oil thru. The bag can hang overnight. Also there are little clamps available at motorcycle shops to force aresol lube thru. but baggies are way cheaper. Well, I hope this helps someone else .

cablelubebags002.jpg

nylyon

Good idea, moving to the FAQ area.

Retired Wrencher

B) :party: HI Bork I used to ride my self in the day.and I have what they call a cable lube. u can use this if the outer shell is good condition I have used this since my riding days. what it does is u lock the cable to the unit and u stick the tube in a small hole and this forces the lubricant threw the shell. I have had great success with this little gadget. T/Care. Gary B........... :clap::hbd:B)B) <_

rickv1957

Bork,very good idea there! B) Rick

Roger from southern Iowa

Thanks, another thing i will try that I learned here. B)

corn53

:thumbs: Great trick!!!