Sign in to follow this  
MaineDad

Farmall Cub Engine

MaineDad

Guys,

Thought I would share my Farmall engine refurb with you. I took the head off and look what I found!

Pistons1.jpg

Valves.jpg

I cleaned up all the carbon and polished the block and the head up nice. Installed brand new valves and adjusted the tappet clearance and look at her now! There was no movement at all in the pistons. Looked like someone had been in there before. Cylinder number 3 with the wet valves had a leak in the head gasket.

CleanBlock-1.jpg

Removed the radiator and flushed that out and reinstalled with new gasket, bolts and hoses. I installed new points, condenser, and rotor and am waiting on a couple of new gaskets so I can start her up again. Stay tuned!

TT

Awesome work, Micah! :thumbs2:

Kinda hard to believe they're only 9 horsepower, huh?

How much fun did you have installing the points & condenser? :thumbs:

Gene_S

No kidding TT there only rated at 9HP? How do you rate these tractors for power then? I have had my eye on a Farmall for awhile.

Thanks,

Gene

Bill

Drawbar (rated): 10 hp [7.5 kW]

Drawbar (max): 8.5 hp [6.3 kW]

PTO (rated): 11 hp [8.2 kW]

Belt: 9.76 hp [7.3 kW]

TT

The 4 cylinder gas engines in many of the older "farm" tractors were of the long rod / undersquare design which produced decent torque for their size. Even though the Cub engine is only 60 cubic inches and 8.5 to 9 horsepower, the torque, transmission gearing, and final drive style rear axle makes them seem a lot more powerful than what the numbers show.

MaineDad

TT,

The points and the condenser were not that bad because I removed the distributor. No freakin way was I going to try to get my fingers in their sideways! I actually used an old wheel horse hub to set the distributor in to work on it :thumbs2:

9 horse power and a whole lot of torque! This is a fun machine to work on...

Gerry w

Micah, I meant to ask while I was there what you used to clean all the carbon off. Also, you said something about a tool for cleaning/re-seating valves??

Tractor was looking really good!

wh500special

...makes them seem a lot more powerful than what the numbers show.

Well said.

But, we had a 42" deck under our Cub and it was all the tractor would handle on anything but flat ground. I always wondered how guys could run a 60-incher under these suckers...

These are probably the smoothest running engines you will ever have the pleasure to operate. Gotta be one of the best - and most durable - tractors ever to be made. I'm gonna have another Cub one of these days!

Steve

Nick

Nice work on the old engine Micah. :thumbs: These old tractors were also low rpm motors, around 1600 to 1800 rpm, and can last forever.

Steve, The IH engines were ok.. but the small AC engine was a little better. :thumbs2: I had a Loboy 184 with a 60 woods deck. If the grass was any hight I had to mow in 1st gear. That was still a nice tractor and did actually did do a nice quality mowing job(just slow).

wh500special

Steve, The IH engines were ok.. but the small AC engine was a little better. :thumbs2:

Trying to open a can of worms, eh? :ychain:

I like the old AC's too. My favorite has got to be the G. Of course it has a Continental engine, but they are such cute little suckers and the matching implements are really neat. Maybe the WF as a close second...

I think the Cub engine was the only motor IH used that didn't have demountable sleeves and therefore required removal for boring it out larger. I think the engine was originally used in balers and other equipment and was shoehorned into the Cub since it was the right size and was already on the shelf.

The Cub engine is the same displacement as the motor used in the D250, but puts out half the power. And they seem to be at least twice as durable as a result.

TT is the resident mechanic so can correct me on this, but I think the weak link on the Cub motor was the head itself which is prone to warping and cracking since it is so thin. Luckily they are only about $60 (last time I checked) for a new one. And sometimes the lower radiator tank/axle pivot will break. Other than that they seem to be all but bulletproof.

Best of all, they fit in the bed of a pickup :thumbs: .

Nice tractor Micah! Keep that sucker humming.

Steve

hoobshorse

I have owned a '48 model cub for 7-8 years now with a 60" belly mower. It is true that if the grass gets very thick and tall I have to use 1st gear but keep it reasonable height and mow in 2nd and it will surprise you how much ground you can cover and what a smooth job it does. Sweet running and a pleasure to mow with. Then I take the 416H and finish up. What a tag team

here 4 the horses

my dad worked on these things his whole life in fact has 5 of them now, and you cant beat an old cub...there powerful little machines just like horses....and it is hard to believe that there only 9 HP unless if you bore one out then your up around 14 a big MAYBE 15.....either way good engine...if anyone ever needs parts let me know we sell brane new parts for these tractors :thumbs2: