Sign in to follow this  
capecodder

Kohler just died in my C-175, Help!

capecodder

New member here due to a dead Kohler KT 17S. My son tipped my tractor over yesterday and when I got home from work we flipped it back up. No major visual damage other than minor bent hood and cracked plastic fender. It started right up but didn't sound or feel quite right. This tractor always purred nicely and it wasn't now. Drove it to garage (about 2 minutes running) but few seconds after I put it into reverse ugly sounds came forth so I shut down immediately.

I hadn't noticed but oil must have leaked out so today i re-filled. Still didn't sound right and still seemed to shake more than usual. Well long story short after i took engine covers off to see if I could see cracked manifold or something (nothing) I put it back together and started to run and mow to see if it ran OK. Well 5 minutes later it blew a rod or something and motor is now toast.

So members, what's next?? Is a rebuild an option or not worth the effort? New replacement 17 horse Kohler aren't cheap. Will other engines fit? Also was wondering if a 20hp Onan would work if I could find a used one or is that a bad idea?

I am not a hard core user of this tractor but I really liked it and I do NOT want to go buy some crappy stamped metal toy tractor from Home Depot.

Open to suggetions.

Thanks

Ted (from Cape Cod)

big mike

Ted,my guess is when he tipped it over it ran for a period of time and it was long enough to cause oil starvation.

Is is a series I or a series II?

If it is a series I I would look for a good running KT series II or a Magnum.If it is a series II and there are no holes in the block it would be worth rebuilding.

My opinion is Onans are good for holding your fishing boat in place on the lake plus parts for them are getting very expensive.

stevebo

If your serial number is below 300 (last 3 numbers) then is it a series I and they have the bad oil system. I am in CT and have a series II sitting on my self waiting for my series I to blow like yours. Good luck-

capecodder

Thanks guys. I am pretty sure it's a series I and I also picked up some info on web that the series II is a better motor. Damn, though I don't want to pay $2,000 plus for a new block!!. As soon as it "blew" I said a few words counted to ten (maybe twenty) and pushed it back into garage and walked away. Don't know if it has holes in heads or anything. I was too pissed to look.

Where is best source for parts and or replacement engines if I go that route? We have a good full survice dealer in the area but I am not thrilled with paying full retail if I try to fix. Do these come up for sale (used) often?

Based on your comment Big Mike, my guess is that I should try to replace with another Kohler as opposed to a refit of some other brand.

Also, what is best "glue" to fix the cracked fender? Just use a plastic fusion epoxy??

Steve, I would be happy to come down and take yours off your shelf for a reasonable fee. Hell, I'll even bring a pile of Monomoy steamers and some lobsters!

Later.

WheelHorse_of_course

Thanks guys. I am pretty sure it's a series I and I also picked up some info on web that the series II is a better motor. Damn, though I don't want to pay $2,000 plus for a new block!!. As soon as it "blew" I said a few words counted to ten (maybe twenty) and pushed it back into garage and walked away. Don't know if it has holes in heads or anything. I was too pissed to look.

Where is best source for parts and or replacement engines if I go that route? We have a good full survice dealer in the area but I am not thrilled with paying full retail if I try to fix. Do these come up for sale (used) often?

Based on your comment Big Mike, my guess is that I should try to replace with another Kohler as opposed to a refit of some other brand.

Also, what is best "glue" to fix the cracked fender? Just use a plastic fusion epoxy??

Steve, I would be happy to come down and take yours off your shelf for a reasonable fee. Hell, I'll even bring a pile of Monomoy steamers and some lobsters!

Later.

Set up a search on ebay and watch for a month and you should be able to pick up a used engine.

Best of luck! :thumbs2:

capecodder

I will start looking on ebay for a used engine.

Some basic questions: Do I need to only stick with a KT 17S that came from a Wheel Horse or do other models fit (from Simplicity John Deer etc) if I use the external parts (manifold, mufflet etc) from my current engine. Also don't know if my series I stuff will bolt onto the series II block ie were the changes internal only? My engine is cosmetically in great shape so my parts are clean.

Also, big Mike mentioned a Magnum so again I don't know which model would be a "direct" (or close to) fit.

Thanks for all the help. Usually the grass stops growing out here on the cape around now but we have had a wet summer. Not looking forward to mowing with my push mower. crap!

canam1991

onan :thumbs: i have never had any luck with they should be used as a paper weight or a door stop

Now sence i am a big kohler :ychain: fan i would say rebuild or put another kohler in it because the wiring from switching from a kohler to a onan or others will make you :thumbs2:

big mike

The KTs and Magums are very similar.The main difference is the KTs have points and the Mags have a magneto.I have heard the a verticle shaft could be used for parts so even if you found a cheap KT series II but it was hurt you might find a cheap vert to use as a donor.The series one case is not usable to make a series II from what I have heard(If I am wrong please let me know.)and the crank is different from I to II but everything else would still be usable.If you buy used parts make SURE the flywheel fits the crank snout.......I have a pile of parts that is all fresh but did not come with the correct fly wheel(hence a smokin good deal)but I have one nowwwww :thumbs2: .

I do not claim to be an expert on twins but I am inside a Mag now and I know a couple of guys that know them pretty well.You can e mail me if you want and I'll help how I can.

pfrederi

I will start looking on ebay for a used engine.

Some basic questions: Do I need to only stick with a KT 17S that came from a Wheel Horse or do other models fit (from Simplicity John Deer etc) if I use the external parts (manifold, muffler etc) from my current engine. Also don't know if my series I stuff will bolt onto the series II block ie were the changes internal only? My engine is cosmetically in great shape so my parts are clean.

I replaced a blown series 1 in a C-175 with another Series one from a JD. You need to save some of the tin, carburator (the choke works differently on JDs), air intake and exhausts from your motor.

One big thing to consider not all series 1 had ball bearings on the crank shaft, especially ones used on tractors where the engine sits length wise and PTO end is to the front and the flywheel end also powers something. You will have to look up the engine spec number on the kohler site to see if it has ball bearings. (Note series 2 engines also do not all use ball bearings but some have a thrust bearing to take the PTO loading.....

The JD I used had only sleeve bearings so I couldn't use the manual PTO (to much end pressure on the crank. I had to replace the PTO with an electric one.

Also crank shaft was only 1 inch instead of 1-1/8.

If you are looking at other motors be sure the PTO end of the crank is long enough (over 3" I forget the exact length) You can use a 1" shaft by getting the sleeve used on 8 hp WHs to convert the manual PTO.

I agree there is not point in rebuilding a series one (besides if you threw a rod you probably also cracked the casing)

Rideawaysenior

CHeck out www. smallenginewarehouse.com They have several options that are ready fit.

capecodder

Thanks to all for the quick feedback and input. Obviously you folks have a nice forum here.

It appears that my issues have been quickly "solved" in the form of a used Kohler series II from your very own stevebo. I was joking when I suggested he sell me his spare engine sitting on the shelf he was keeping for a similar need as mine but he took me up on the offer anyway. Guess when your inventory is getting close to a dozen tractors your needs are not as pressing for a particular part. He even has a buddy coming up to MA for a camping trip this week who will bring it with him (and save me 2.5 hours one way ride). I will likely be back with some basic questions when I go to re-install it but for now looks like this may not turn out so bad.

Appreciate your help and advice.

Now, where do I go for a metal fender system to replace my cracked plastic one if I go that route?? In mean time what is best product to repair the cracked plastic (fairly clean break)?

Regards

Ted

stevebo

Ted,

Any 300 or 400 series fender pan will work.

I just wanted to say to all the RS members here that Ted is a great guy to work with. Glad to have you here. Hopefully I won't need my "spare engine anytime soon-

capecodder

Well, couple weeks later I have come to an impass. The Kohler stevebo sold me turns out to have tthe wrong shaft length. After a bit of checking on options I will be returning it and looking (again) for a KT17S Series II to re-power my tractor. Will continue ebay etc searches as well as posting on this site so if anyone has the appropriate motor, obviously I may be interested.

BTW, Stevebo has been very upfront with trying to help/rectify and has offered full money back. Thanks Steve.

Ted