Sign in to follow this  
Michael Bullington

Pull Cart Painting Help

Michael Bullington

Hey Guys I got this cart today ...you probably done seen it in the other threads, but heres my question. This Cart has been sandblasted down to the metal...it has some pits I would like to repair also. Heres my questions:

What do i put on first - primer - (do i need a special primer for bare metal?)

In fixing the pits with bondo - do i need to put that down first or the primer first? it mainly pitted at the back where you dump (where the stamped grooves are) its a large area

Im painting this with rattle cans (should i say lots of rattle cans) so any advice to ease this process would greatly be appreatiated!

Thanks

Michael

tractors003-1.jpg

64s

Michael, Prime first, apply filler second, reprime, then paint. Take your time and it'll turn out great.

Have a great 4th!!

:thumbs2:

Gene_S

I guess everyone does things differently but I worked in a body shop for a few years and we always stipped all the paint from dents down to the bare metal and then used filler then primer. Large areas of rust we would use duraglass (bondo-fiberglass mix) then finish with bondo then primer, wet sand, seal and paint. But i think all methods will work fine. Just my opinion. :thumbs2:

Gene :thumbs:

64s

Gene you're right - I answered too quickly, the filler should go on bare metal. I'll prime everything first, sand to expose high/low spots, apply filler, prime, paint. Thanks for clarifying!!! George

Gene_S

Thats ok 64s like I said everyone does things differently. My problem is when I forget to get sandable primer and then I shoot paint on top of prime i sanded and wasn't supposed to of and the paint rinkles... Painting is allways the fun part!!!

Take care 64s

Gene

Greg Parnell

rattle can painting: I painted my custom 2 wheel cart with rattle cans and it turned out real good. It took many light coats of paint and many cans too. Don't try to cover it all with one or two heavy coats, the paint will run. As you apply more and more light coats it all will eventually get covered. You will be extremely pleased with the results but it takes time this way.

Coadster32

I also try to do multiple light coats when rattle can bombing. When you go heavy, even if it doesn't run, it chips off easier, as the paint doesn't seem to cure correctly. Oh, and I do Bondo to bare metal, and use bare metal primer. Rustoleum make a pretty good, cheap one in rattle can. Good luck.

Michael Bullington

Thanks guys ..i post some pics soon :thumbs2: