Sign in to follow this  
mulefarmer25

transmission stuck

mulefarmer25

Hi I am new to these little tractors ,I bought this 702 for my little boy and me to restore and the transmission is stuck in gear and the shifter is nearly rotted in to which seems to be farily common any ideas.

thanks

Coadster32

There is a set screw or thumb screw that goes into the shifter handle. Remove this screw, and literally pull out the shifter handle. When you look into the hole, you'll be looking at the shift forks. The forks should form a box. When this happends, you're in neutral. If you don't see a box, use a big screwdriver and try to pry the forks into the shape of a box. If they don't move, the tranny might be rusted up a bit. This is common on tractors that sat outside for a while. Water goes in right through the shifter hole. If it make you feel any better, I have an RJ that is stuck in neutral. (a true rolling chasis). Good Luck.

BTW- :thumbs2:

kpinnc

If you have alot of rust around the base of the shifter, it stands to reason you may have some at the shifter forks and rails. That would keep it from moving for sure.

Best bet- rather than risk breaking something probably would be to disassemble it and clean everything up. There's really not much to these transmissions. Taking it apart, cleaning it up, and reassembly is pretty easy. Plus you'll know whether or not anything else needs attention.

The mechanical transmission manual is still available from Toro as a download. It is a GREAT manual to have, and covers every 3,4,6, and 8 speed made by Wheel Horse. It's got all the illustrations you'll ever need to work on your tranny.

Good luck!

Kevin