Sign in to follow this  
Brian1045

3 pronged ignition switch

Brian1045

The original discontinued part number is 4988. I have a 5 pronged switch with the prongs being labeled as L-S-M-B-G I thought about using...but

I hate to have to change the terminal ends to switch over to the 5 pronged one I have as a spare. My original wiring is in such good shape!

Does anyone know if the original style 3 prongs with threaded terminals can be bought anywhere?

:thumbs2:

oldandred

Brian check with the MF tractors I think there the same as the three we use

Brian1045

Thanks..I'll check with the MF guys. I got bigger problems now. For some reason when the switch went it took something else with it. I'm not getting any spark at the points, so I gotta track that down now. :thumbs2:

clintonnut

There was a thread on this a while ago for this switch. You have an external coil igniton right?

Charlie

Brian1045

Here is my setup. typical pre 70's

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-23-1245627230.jpg

Sarge

That looks to be the same Cole-Hersee switch I sourced recently from Vic's DC in Stuart, FLorida (772)220-8952 . Cole-Hersee part numbers are as follows-

Battery ignition- #95521-B (4988)

Magneto ignition- #95520-B

These two switches are dead identical to the original equipment units used in most of the 60's WH tractors with the offset leg Hencol style key .

Just fyi- he also has nos generator lamps for those tractors- part #PL-20-RC .

Don't hold your breath, there weren't too many left when I ordered all of mine....

Sarge

wingrider

Sarge

I just bought 3 of these switches form my local NAPA store, they are from Stens the part number is 430520. They are exact matches to the orginal switch on my 854 right down to the patten numbers. Good Luck

wingrider

Brian1045

Thanks all....I'll check into it. I have a Napa about a mile away. :thumbs2:

WH1055

I just got off of the phone with NAPA, and they do not even recognise that PN, (could also be that they don't have everything, I had a very knowledgeable one by me that just got bought out, I miss having them as a resource). He found one that might work, but for $46.00. That seems a bit much for a key switch, and being on a college budget I would rather get one cheaper....

gwest_ca

The 4988 WH switch for battery ignition was replaced by 7263 and still available from Toro. The 430-520 Stens switch mentioned above is for magneto ignition.

Garry

hounddoghundzsa

Just wondering if anyone else had tried the 7263 switch?? I tryed looking it up and there is no pic to compare it to. Want to make sure it's right because it's not retunable. :thumbs:

buckrancher

That looks to be the same Cole-Hersee switch I sourced recently from Vic's DC in Stuart, FLorida (772)220-8952 . Cole-Hersee part numbers are as follows-

Battery ignition- #95521-B (4988)

Magneto ignition- #95520-B

These two switches are dead identical to the original equipment units used in most of the 60's WH tractors with the offset leg Hencol style key .

Just fyi- he also has nos generator lamps for those tractors- part #PL-20-RC .

Don't hold your breath, there weren't too many left when I ordered all of mine....

Sarge

Vic's is out of switch's

But you can still buy them new from cole-hersee #95521-B (4988) :thumbs:

hounddoghundzsa

Thanks! Do you know where to get the push button starter too??

buckrancher

Thanks! Do you know where to get the push button starter too??

I believe the new switchs are 1" in dia. so you will need to open your hole

size up

hounddoghundzsa

I just got on Cole Hersee's site to order the Ignition switch and starter button. Being that I am more or less retarded when it comes to electrical crap :banghead: I'm a little confused as to which starter button will work. I'm also confused about Cole Hersee's purchasing process - WTH is a RFQ?? I got a confirmation email - but what do I got to do to buy the darn thing???

wheelhorse656

I just got off of the phone with NAPA, and they do not even recognise that PN, (could also be that they don't have everything, I had a very knowledgeable one by me that just got bought out, I miss having them as a resource). He found one that might work, but for $46.00. That seems a bit much for a key switch, and being on a college budget I would rather get one cheaper....

i have one from a 856 i have that i would sell let me check and see if it is the right one :banghead:

horse junkie

Thanks all....I'll check into it. I have a Napa about a mile away. :thumbs:

I know it's a little late but I bought a switch like that for my 1276 at my local wheel horse dealer

mike avad

I have a 1965 875 wheel horse my old igniton switch has 3 plugs and one in the center where could I find on like that

lynnmor
58 minutes ago, mike avad said:

I have a 1965 875 wheel horse my old igniton switch has 3 plugs and one in the center where could I find on like that

You should post this under Wheel Horse Electrical in the main menu.

wallfish
1 hour ago, mike avad said:

Click on the link above in the post by Lane Ranger