Sign in to follow this  
Ammoguy

Painting My Horse

Ammoguy

I am in the process of redoing my Charger12 and will be repainting it soon which brings me to the following questions:

1. What is the proper Wheel Horse color red to use?

2. Should I brush paint it or use cans of spray paint?

I am leaning towards using brush paint since it "flows" into uneven spots, but using an oil based paint can take a long time to dry. Any Suggestions? :thumbs2:

CasualObserver

Moving this to the painting section.... please take some time to look through the older posts in this section, there are LOTS of posts and opinions on this very subject.

Personally, I favor Rustoleum Regal Red in a spray can or spray gun.

W9JAB

you can get great results with Rust-o-ileum and a brush, Thin the paint out, so as it dries the brush strokes even out. if you let it dry than wet sand between coats you will get a glass like finish. but do not rush it.

tgranthamfd

I chose my shade by reading past posts, remembering names, then looking at pictures in the gallery. Personally, I like to use a light colored primer under the whites, beige, and almonds. Then a red sandable primer under the red, of your choosing. I chose Valspar Almond spray cans,for the wheels and seat, and Valspar IH red ( middle ranged one) spray cans for the small tractor parts. I will be using the same paint, but using the HVLP gun, for the hood and fenders. Just to keep down the confusion down, the Valspar tractor and implement paint has 3 different grades, I guess one would say, of paint in spray cans and in pint, quart, and gallon brushable / sprayable paint. One of the other members said the sprayable matched the rattle cans perfectlly.

WheelHorse_of_course

you can get great results with Rust-o-ileum and a brush, Thin the paint out, so as it dries the brush strokes even out. if you let it dry than wet sand between coats you will get a glass like finish. but do not rush it.

Rather than thinning with thinner, thin it (regular oil based paint) with Flood Penetrol.

This will help it lay smooth and will also help it bond with any place you could not get fully down to bare metal.

Good stuff.

:thumbs2: