Sign in to follow this  
boovuc

Replaced zerk on 42" SD double pulley

boovuc

What I was wondering was, since I had to rethread it, I did everything I could to remove any shavings but.......I know better in thinking I got them all. What do you think? My opinion was it was better to rethread than to not grease it! The PO did little on this tractor before I got it!

Sparky

I think your right about being better to grease than not to grease.

Mike.......

gwgdog66

Considering there probably wasn't much grease in it from the previous owner, it will more than likely need to be replaced soon anyway. If it feels like it is turning fairly smooth, I'd fill it up with good quality grease and mow with it. What few slivers are in it from the rethread can't hurt it anymore than the previous owner's lack of preventive maintenance.

boovuc

Thanks for the comments, guys. It moves freely and the bearing doesn't wobble. I could luck out. Who knows....maybe it fell off or was knocked off when he took the mower off last season. I doubt it since the threads were screwed on it. In any event, I feel better with grease in it, shavings or no shavings.

Don1977

The base lift bracket hits mine and has wore the top off. I just screw it out and put in a good grease fitting to grease it then remove and replace the worn one.