Sign in to follow this  
truckin88

wife is on vaca with girlfriends...I bought a...

truckin88

I figured, the trans really takes 5qt of 10W-30, and the motor 2 qt of straight 30?

Any recommendation on battery, looking at the manual, the fuse setup I have looks to be original, which is good, not really a block, more inline that clips to the side.

Bow_Extreme

Yes, the trans takes 5 quarts. Buy the Shell Rotella I mentioned in the one gallon jug and buy a couple extra quarts to go with it or buy two one gallon jugs. This gives you a bit extra on the shelf to have just incase. Also, I don't have the book in front of me and I know it calls out 3 different grades of oil for the engine depending on the temperature outdoors. Make sure you make the right choice for your use. These tractors can be somewhat expensive to own when doing a full tune-up and replacing belts. The belt driving the deck is probably one of the more expensive belts you will buy but when new they work great and give you alot of room for tension adjustment in the future. As far as the battery, just grab a lawn and garden battery off the shelf at Auto Zone. I've never had a problem with these batteries.

Bow_Extreme

It sounds like your fuse terminal has been replaced at one time or another. I believe they all use a block as standard product.

bo dawg

Lawn&garden batterys from Walmart should be little cheaper that Auto Zone and with the higher CC amps.

Remember one thing Trucking88, you might of got over on the wife buying that tractor while shes gone, but shes spending money on things too :thumbs2:

Can't wait to see some pic's.

:thumbs:

truckin88

It sounds like your fuse terminal has been replaced at one time or another. I believe they all use a block as standard product.

per the 1988 manual, this is the stock setup, it is not a block like on my 1991 244, it is like inlines that clip to the side. I thought it was probably replacments too(no big deal), but it appears to be stock

I think 1988 was the first year of these.

I also got the PTO belt for 26 shipped from pete's online(it is a sten's, but says oem replacement)

Is there any trick or precaution to switching the hydro oil, or is it like the 8 speed but with a filter.

truckin88

Lawn&garden batterys from Walmart should be little cheaper that Auto Zone and with the higher CC amps.

Remember one thing Trucking88, you might of got over on the wife buying that tractor while shes gone, but shes spending money on things too :thumbs2:

Can't wait to see some pic's.

:thumbs:

So true it is scarey...she is probably buying tons of stuff haha.

I relaized that it need 260CC, the HC is 400, so it will need a mid grade battery, I am going to wally world, for batt, sparks, fram, and oil.

truckin88

crappy cell pics

IMG00149.jpg

IMG00150.jpg

Mattbg79

WoW! you stole that thing! Mine for 500 didnt even start, and looked like it had been put out to pasture and forgotten! Ill have around 1500 in it by the time it looks as good as yours. Beautiful machine youve got there :thumbs2:

truckin88

thanks, new battery and spark plugs installed, bought the last 2 RS14YC's auto zone had, got the 275CC (the other was 230) battery $25 @ walmart, can't find the CA140 filter anywhere or it's equivlant. I will be at NPE (old WH dealer) getting nailed on an air filter tomorrow. Oil/Trans/Fuel/ new belt ordered from pete's, great prices.

lt230s

That is in great shape. Thanks for the pics.

Good luck with it and tell the Mrs. it just appeared from nowhere!!!!