Sign in to follow this  
mowerman1193

Generator ( homemade ) ?

mowerman1193

I have thought for the last few years about building a homemade PTO ran generator for one of my Wheel Horse tractors..I just never use one much and when I do have a power outage it just seems to be a pain to get the generator out and running..Most times it has sat so long it takes quite a lot of work to get going..I thought if I had something to hook to the front attach on one of my tractors then it shouldn't be a problem getting one running since I use the tractors..

Anyway its just an idea and was wondering if anyone had built their own set up?? I know Wheel Horse made factory ones but finding one at a good deal is most times rare..but not impossible, LOL

rwilson

I was thinking of doing that as well. I have an older generator and the last time it was ran it threw a rod out the side of the block. I'm sure it is possible. You will have to get a pulley that will fith the output shaft on the generator and build a mounting plate with slotted holes to adjust the belt tension. It shouldn't be too dificult. Good luck.

stevebo

I made one and fabricated it on a front mule drive with a belt that runs off the pto. It looks good and works well. It looks just like factory.

Coadster32

There's a post on here (somewhere), that this was done with pics. He had a piece of split wood as a belt tensioner. I liked the idea also. My generator is stationary and hooked up to the house at all times thu a manual transfer switch.

rallysman

I would absolutely love to do this. I have a lot of money wrapped up in tropical fish and being able to run their filters when the power fails would be nice. The fact that the horse should be running frequently makes it more convenient. I think a plate on the front offset enough to allow a direct drive from the deck clutch to the generator would be fairly simple.

How do you determine how big of a generator to choose?

sorekiwi

It has been done. Harbor Fright also sells a generator head that has been used before, I cant remember who did it, or whether it was even on a horse. It may have been one a funny colored tractor...

As an alternative, check out this thread at MTF. He has a modified automotive alternator that he uses as a welder, or as an 110V power supply.

http://mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t...ghlight=856,876

Volfandt's thread is an excellent narrative of keeping 40 year old tractors ticking along. To me its exactly what this hobby is all about!

KyBlue

How big you need, is determined by the total amps that'll be drawn by whatever your wanting to power...

For example...My Steam table that I use when vending, draws 1200 watts @ 120 volts, 1200 div. by 120 = 10 amps...

Northern Tool sells generator heads at a pretty reasonable cost.

rallysman

How big you need, is determined by the total amps that'll be drawn by whatever your wanting to power...

For example...My Steam table that I use when vending, draws 1200 watts @ 120 volts, 1200 div. by 120 = 10 amps...

Northern Tool sells generator heads at a pretty reasonable cost.

How do you determine watts per available horse power?

wh500special

Due to inefficiencies, the conversion is (for practical purposes) one kW for each 2 horsepower. if you look up the actual HP/kW conversion you will find this this general rule to error on the conservative side.

e.g. a 10 hp engine will produce 5 kW. A 16 hp engine will make about 8 kW.

While I am as big of a tractor nut as anyone here, I actually want to get rid of my PTO driven unit one of these days and buy a self contained engine/generator. That way I can take it with me in the truck without toting along a 1000 pound tractor. I just can't convince myself to get rid of the thing since it has some conversation value.

Steve (blasphemer)

dkopp

How many watts per HP? 745 watts = 1 HP As a general rule you want to have about double the HP per KW of generator. For example, if you had a 6kW generator you would use a 12 HP engine as the prime mover. You could use as low as 8HP (6000/745 =8.05) This gives you plenty of engine for starting heavy loads. Higher rotational mass for inrush currents.

wh500special

...My Steam table that I use....

Whenever I hear the words "Steam Table" I cringe...I think you and I are thinking different things:

When You say "Steam Table" this is what pops in my mind

Just venting,

:thumbs2: Steve

wh500special

...This gives you plenty of engine for starting heavy loads. Higher rotational mass for inrush currents....

Yep. We must have been typing at the same time.

And, to build on dkopp's comments your gas engine does not like to produce maximum power for long periods of time. So while the 8hp engine can make 6 kW, it won't do it for long. The 2hp/kW works well...

Steve

CasualObserver

Here's an old thread addressing generators that might provide some helpful information.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=6910

And here's one that addresses "backfeeding" power into the house.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=7767

dkopp

Yes, on the issue of backfeeding...please, please, please don't forget to disconnect your mains from your genset especially during storm outages!

One of two things will happen if you don't do this:

1) You will kill someone who happens to touch a line that is down, possibly a lineman or unsuspecting bystander, or

2) Your genset will be fried when the linemen connect their grounds to the line (which puts you back to square one -1, no power and one burned up genset)