Sign in to follow this  
USHorse

Deck Spindle

USHorse

Have an older 42' SD that I just replaced the upper bearing on one of the spindles. It is a sealed bearing. The spindle has a lower roller bearing that is still in good condition. Question...there are no grease fittings on the spindle housing so should I pack the entire inside "cavity" of the housing with grease, or just lather the roller bearing with grease?

thanks... :thumbs2:

JimD

since the bearings are sealed, there would be no benefit to packing the cavity with grease, imo.

hodge

Better to have grease filling the cavity, instead of moisture.

d180man

Hi my brouther sales spindles and they have sealed bearings but some still have grease fittings on and some dont :thumbs2: but he tails them to put grease in the housings to keep out moisture! even if the bearings are sealed ! just like (hodge) sead :thumbs: :ychain:

USHorse

It looks like I am going to tear down the spindle again and fill with grease. I am not sure if the lower bearing (roller type) is considered sealed since it has exposed rollers on it but I guess it is if there are no zerks. Thanks for your input....never considered moisture. :thumbs2:

:thumbs:

JimD

i never considered moisture either. all of mine are the type that the bearing fills the housing, so the grease is a great idea for your situation! still learning... :thumbs2: