Sign in to follow this  
Wheel Horse Fan

My new toy/tractor

Wheel Horse Fan

Well I didn't win the tractor on ebay that I posted about last weekend, but I guess the winning bidder didn't work out. So I got a call and picked it up about an hour ago. It's as clean as it looks and the guy spent a few hours cleaning and waxing. In case you forgot or didn't see the post it's a '97 416-8, 234 hours, 48" deck. The Onan engine sounds nice, definitely different then the Kohler.

I plan to change the oil, filer, fuel filter, drive belt and deck belt. It's a new PTO belt. Any other suggested maintenance? The clutch pedal doesn't return all that fast, is there a spring missing or is the strut? just old?

Enjoy the pictures:

WH-12.jpg

WH-11.jpg

WH-1.jpg

d180man

Hi nice horse! :thumbs: we had one that did the same thing we oil the link and it helped but you need to just go over it and see ahat you find but nice find! :thumbs2: :ychain:

USHorse

Kinda sounds/looks like ya got a new horse!! :thumbs2:

Coadster32

Looks really nice. I'd go over it with a wrench also. Pob. take 1/2, but you'd know where you stand. Good Luck. :thumbs2:

Duff

Sah-WEET looking machine! Very nice! :thumbs2:

As to the clutch, make sure the clutch pedal is well lubricated where it rides on the footrest support shaft, and that the actuator shaft that runs through the frame rails to the pulley-side of the tranny is also well lubed. I don't see a grease fitting on the clutch pedal in the pictures, but I think most of the later 300-400 series tractors had them. Some of the pre-'89 300 series did not, I've found out! :thumbs:

Good luck!

Duff :ychain:

Olratlr

That Horse looks like it just came from the Factory nice. :thumbs2:

TJ

Looks great.

Section8

Very nice looking horse. Now I know what mine will look like when I repaint it next fall. Sharp.

Clutch Pedal: assuming your '97 is like my '91, and if you mean that the pedal does not always engage the clutch when you release it (and is prone to "wheelies" when it does engage), the problem is the expensive little strut (gas charged spring, $65) on the idler pulley arm.