MikesRJ

RJ-58 Restoration begins

MikesRJ

Engine rebuild seal kit and carburetor rebuild kits arrived. Engine coming to gether nicely. Still have the recoil issue to clear up, as well as what I am going to do concerning the exhaust system.

063a.jpg

063b.jpg

063c.jpg

rickv1957

Mike,engine looks very nice ,great detail!,Rick

VinsRJ

Can't wait to see her in June! :D

tgranthamfd

Nice very nice. When you get her going, you should put a video up, with it running. I like the oil bath breather.

MikesRJ

Completed the throttle linkage, I've received the correct length cup for the recoil, the exhaust has been tapped. Just a few more small items to finish up and this engine will get "wet", started (hopefully), and tuned up for the show.

069a.jpg

Lawn Ranger kid

Great job! :D:USA:

Josh

blaster

You do awesome work! :D I love those old engines when they're restored with such detail!

rmaynard

As quoted from your website:

"My aim is to produce a restored tractor which holds to the original design and likeness of what was delivered to the Wheel Horse Dealership in 1958, with as little modification to the original design as possible."

and you are truly doing what you said. :D

Nice job Mike.

Bob

linen beige

all of the bolts will be replaced with grade 8 zinc chromate type,

the engine block and oil pan was painted with Dupli-Color DE1653 Red ceramic engine paint.

I'm not too sure I would go with grade 8 in an engine. Grade 5 handles the heat expansion/contraction much better.

I like the ceramic paint on engines, but a word of caution may be in order. It is VERY brittle and tends to flake off of any parts that flex, such as belt guards, etc.

You have raised the bar for the rest of us Mike. :D

MikesRJ

I'm not too sure I would go with grade 8 in an engine. Grade 5 handles the heat expansion/contraction much better.

I like the ceramic paint on engines, but a word of caution may be in order. It is VERY brittle and tends to flake off of any parts that flex, such as belt guards, etc.

Point 1: You're the second person to mention the grade 8 vs. 5. I may recant and go with 5's, at least in the head.

Point 2: The only thing painted with the ceramic paint is the engine block. All other parts are painted with Valspar Resto Series for the same reason you quoted.

jusjeepn

My aim is to produce a restored tractor which holds to the original design and likeness of what was delivered to the Wheel Horse Dealership in 1958, with as little modification to the original design as possible.

Mike your doing awesome work! This tractor looks far better than when it was delivered to the W/H dealership. I'm not trying to be critical in any way shape or form, just want to point out a few things. W/H didn't prime any parts before painting, the majority of the fasteners/bolts were painted as well because these tractors were painted after some assembly. As near as I can tell, all engine parts were painted because paint was applied after it was fully assembled.

You have and are doing an awesome job on this machine and it looks far superior to most "Restorations" that I have seen done. Your details definitely have put this one above and beyond.

As in most assembly line assembled products, there are always, and I repeat, always flaws simply because of the fast pace that they are being assembled. Yours appears to be flawless.

Great job and even greater documentation! I commend you and your efforts!

MikesRJ

Thanks for the comments, but this thing is far from flawless ... all should reserve comments until after you've seen it up-close.

Certain things, such as the priming of parts, were done specifically under the heading of "conservatory deviations". Some processes were done strictly to assist in the longevity of the restoration product.

The original statement in its entirety is as follows:

I define my intended restoration's as follows: Return this machine, as closely as possible, to its original factory condition with 100% accurate parts and original configuration;

1. Aside from hardware items (nuts, bolts, screws, washers, cotter pins, Zerk fittings, etc.) complete the tractor with 100% original Wheel Horse parts.

2. Only deviate from the factory standard configuration, by addition; substitution; or modification; when it preserves the longevity of the machine and/or protects the longevity of the restoration work;

3. Make no aesthetic changes except where they add value to either intent #1 and/or #2 above.

It is my sincere hope that future Wheel Horse, and particularly RJ-58-59 restorers, will find and use this article as a guide to their own restoration work. I believe this is a good starting point for those new to restoration, and those wishing to perform the same level of painstakingly accurate restoration work which I have done, in order to preserve the beauty, legacy and legend of the Wheel Horse brand.

Quoted from: http://www.mywheelhorse.com/modules.php?na...o=show_doc&id=2

buckrancher

all of the bolts will be replaced with grade 8 zinc chromate type,

Head bolts are grade eight don't worry about it Mike :D

MikesRJ

Getting closer, engine needs started and tuning, a few odds and ends to clean up, but she's about ready for the show.

DSCN2391-a.jpg

BTW, Dwayne: I found the belt cover stand-offs to be 1.300" (back) and 1.400" (front) long respectively. YMMV

VinsRJ

Getting closer, engine needs started and tuning, a few odds and ends to clean up, but she's about ready for the show.

DSCN2391-a.jpg

Mike, can't wait to see it :D

I have a correct Kohler NOS muffler for an RJ..... its not cheap though.

hcminis

WOW Mike. That thing is really awesome.

Great work.

MikesRJ

I have a correct Kohler NOS muffler for an RJ..... its not cheap though.

:D Keep it handy, I already have a close and 1-1/2" pipe nipples standing by ...

rickv1957

Mike,tractor looks mighty fine,very nice work! :D Rick

MikesRJ

Here's where we started:

001.JPG

Here's a few more out in the partial sun:

DSCN2392.JPG

DSCN2393.JPG

DSCN2395.JPG

DSCN2396.JPG

DSCN2397.JPG

DSCN2398.JPG

DSCN2399.JPG

DSCN2400.JPG

buckrancher

She looks great Mike :USA:

They're going to look good setting next to each other at the show :D

did you fire her up yet?

Lawn Ranger kid

You did aa great job! :D:USA:

Josh

MikesRJ

She looks great Mike :wh:

They're going to look good setting next to each other at the show :D

did you fire her up yet?

I have two implements, need one for the show? You're welcome to whichever I don't install. You did drill implement mounting holes, right?

They sure will look good together (Preview for the interested)

Can't get it running as yet, still working on it. She fired a few times, but a sputter is all I've gotten so far. Engines 'taint my strong suite. You guys (you and Ray) may have some engine work to do Thursday night, I'll bring the lanterns ... :USA:

clintonnut

Mike,

If I get some spare time before the show you can bring it over here!

Charlie

Suburban 550

Totally awesome, Mike. :wh: I only hope that one day I can learn to paint as good as you. :USA: Looks like me and Brian have our work cut out for us on Thursday. You wouldn't be the first one to push your tractor around at the show. :D