MikesRJ

RJ-58 Restoration begins

VinsRJ

Pic 2

Attached Image

post-3-1248743489.jpg

MikesRJ

Vinny,

You wouldn't happen to have one of those NOS springs "in stock", would you? That is my last hurdle on the rear end. There was a spring on mine, but it was cobbled from something else and was completely wrong.

If anyone else happens to have an NOS Spring (ID #68 - WH P/N: 1014, Tension Spring) part, or a good method to reproduce one from some other new spring, I'm all ears. The spring that goes in must look and function exactly like the original was intended (for obvious reasons).

If anyone has spec's on the spring I'd appreciate that info too. I'd like to get the following; overall length from inside hooks, Diameter of the wire, and Outside diameter. From that I can figure out what spring to order from Granger: Granger Extension Springs

I found (on M&D) that two 1014 parts are listed;

- TORO/LAWN-BOY PART 1014P REPLACED BY: 83-2730 SPRING-CLUTCH, $6.54

- TORO/LAWN-BOY PART 112-1014, SPRING-EXTENSION, $11.67

But I don't know how to cross that over to whether it's right or wrong.

Mike

Eriks Red horse herd

Mike the last set of pics that you posted of the fuzzy black square switch is just like what I have on my two 58's I have.

MikesRJ

Thanks Erik, that's what I thought. I now have 16 of the original style, and 5 of the ball-end style switches. As soon as I can I will post clearer pictures of each style.

VinsRJ

Mike,

Sorry but I do not have any springs. The only original spring I've got is the one in the pics.

Vince

MikesRJ

Vince,

would it be possible to get some rough measurements of your spring?

Mike

MikesRJ

If anyone can supply the dimensions I need the following Clutch/Brake Spring dimensions.

1. Length of the coil from end to end (not including loops, just the coil portion).

2. Length from inside to inside of the end loops (that is the length between the inside of one loop to the inside of the opposite loop).

3. Wire diameter.

Thanks

VinsRJ

If anyone can supply the dimensions I need the following Clutch/Brake Spring dimensions.

1. Length of the coil from end to end

2. Length from inside to inside of the end loops

3. Wire diameter.

Thanks

Mike, totally forgot to get you those dimensions. I'll take it off and measure it up tonight.

MikesRJ

Thanks Vince, I appreciate it.

wallfish

Spring measurements are:

wire diameter - 3/32

coil length - 4 1/2

coil OD - 3/4

inside hooks 5 5/8

hook openings are 180 deg

HorseFixer

Looking good Mike! :thumbs2:

MikesRJ

Vince, John beat you to it.

John, Thank you. A new original RJ kill switch is on its way, definitely the original one this time around. No doubt about it. Also, I have 18 not 16 of them.

Duke, Thank you once again.

Rear end is now complete and the frame should be done in the next few days. Soon she will start looking like a tractor again! :thumbs2:

039f.jpg

VinsRJ

I'm to Slowwwwwww.....

While I'm here.....

Coil length 4.117"

In side of hooks length 5.026"

Wire Gauge .072"

Coil Diameter .624"

MikesRJ

From John and Vince's dimension we can assume the following;

SPRING, EXTENSION

- 5/8" - 3/4" Coil Diameter (0.625-0.750)

- 4-1/8" - 4-3/4" Coil Length (4.125-4.750)

- 5" - 5-5/8" Hook-Hook Length (5.000-5.625

- 0.072" - 0.094" Wire Diameter (0.072 - 0.094)

That makes it an approximately 10-20 lb spring, with a 1-1/2"-2-1/2" extension.

I'll see what I can come up with as far as suppliers, and what is available.

MikesRJ

OK, found a supplier and I am asking for a consensus of opinion (TT, you're up).

I found the following spring and it meets all of the aforementioned measured spec's. The only thing I am concerned with is the initial tension.

My Question: Is a tension of 8 lbs enough to hold the idler on the belt and keep the clutch engaged. Opinions?

The easiest way to determine if this part meets WH's original spec would be to use a fish scale on an RJ with a known original spring. Measuring the force point at which the idler begins to move, when using the fish scale to pull it upwards against the spring tension.

Spring Supplier - Hardware Products Company, LP

Item# 22085S-4 Extension Springs - $6.94 ea

Outside Diameter (inches) - 0.750

Wire Diameter (inches) - 0.094

Coil Length (inches) - 4.000

Maximum Load (lbs./inch) - 33

Maximum Extension (inches) - 2.7

Initial Tension (lbs.) - 8.0

Spring Rate (lbs./inch) - 9.5

Weight (lbs./foot) - 0.518

Material - Stainless Steel

This part is intended to replace (per the RJ-58 Manual):

ID#: 68 - WH P/N: 1014 - Tension Spring - 1 ea.

sorekiwi

On my RJ (and in fact, all my 4 speed tractors) I am using Toro # 83-2730 for the clutch spring. My Toro dealer in Indiana came up with that number as the superceeded number for the 1014. I havent found proof of this with RCPW or any of the other online parts houses, although RCPW does list this number as a supersession for 1014P

However my dimensions are way off the ones quoted here. :thumbs2:

My dimensions on a brand new spring:

Coil ID: .582"

Coil Length: 3.575"

Inside Hook to hook: 4.367

Wire diameter: .073"

My tractors seem to function as they should with this spring. My RJ does do wheelies, (but what mid engined tractors dont!!), and my front tires arent "loaded" any more...

MikesRJ

Thanks sorekiwi, I had seen that 1014P part on MowParts a while back and could not get a firm answer on size. The information will come in handy.

As many gave commented and questioned:

Yes, I have changed my screen name from McGuire2003 to MikesRJ.

MikesRJ

Gentlemen, We're up on front wheels!

Frame has been assembled, front end components installed, Clutch/Brake assemblies installed. Pictures to follow (as soon as the damned rain will stop) ......... stay tuned.

MikesRJ

:thumbs: I noticed today while assembling that I am missing a piece which was not attached to the original tractor as found. This also answers the question why I found the spring appeared cobbled together. Unfortunately the installation of said piece is going to make me mess up the paint on that nice clean transmission. The bright side is that it is located behind and below the brake drum. :thumbs2: I hate when I miss things like that.

I know that the missing part is ID 104 - WH P/N: 3582 - Spring Anchor

Does anyone have a picture of the part at the tail-end of that spring? Any info would be a big help.

MikesRJ

Pics in this thread: http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...=7184&hl=clutch

Hope this helps. Awesome Job!

Mike

:thumbs2: Helps a bunch.

It looks to be as thick as the brake band metal and I do believe I have a piece of stainless that thick. Time to go make one! The pain is going to be installing it. Once I remove the bolt it's got to be a fast switch. I'll also have to do the dutch-boy thing with my finger in the dike holding back the gear oil.

Thanks for the help and thanks for the compliments.

VinsRJ

Mike
I'll also have to do the dutch-boy thing with my finger in the dike holding back the gear oil.

MikesRJ

Same reason I never bought an AMF Harley! I don't like leaks......

MikesRJ

Sneak Peak.......

Rear tires are painted and are drying. They should be ready by this weekend to mount. All remaining parts have been dry-fitted before final finish and assembly.

In the mean time.........

039g.jpg

fireman

Looks awsome! Nice Job :thumbs2: