MikesRJ

RJ-58 Restoration begins

CasualObserver

Mike, those do look good... I look forward to an update down the road as to whether it soaks in and needs another coat, or how well it's holding up.

Thanks for the pics.

MikesRJ
Mike, those do look good... I look forward to an update down the road as to whether it soaks in and needs another coat, or how well it's holding up.

linen beige

Hope these help. I forgot this switch had been painted over, so here it is after a few minutes with some carb cleaner and a wire brush in a Dremel tool.

RJandlatercutoffswitch008.jpg

RJandlatercutoffswitch003-1.jpg

Dimensions are, A= 0.320", B= 1.010", C= 0.260", D= 0.480", E=0.6305"

The stamped lettering is 0.125 " tall.

RJandlatercutoffswitch001-1.jpg

Dimensions are, A= 1.445",B= 0.556" end of toggle down to ball shaped section that toggle swivels on, C= 7/16 X 32 TPI, D= 9/16 ".

This switch and face plate were very lightly nickel plated and most of the plating has come off of the toggle, leaving the underlying brass. The contact terminal is brass as well. The face plate had some surface rust on it, which shows it is plated steel. The mounting nut appears to be nickel plated brass.

MikesRJ

Perfect, :thumbs2: for the pictures and dimensions. Certainly above and beyond. The switch plates are easy to find, and I can readily get replacements locally. (Yes John (WallFish), I'll get one for you too!)

Unfortunately, that switch doesn't look anything like the "originals" I saw at the '09 Show (and the matching ones I later found), so I am still without a consensus as to what the 58-RJ original switch part might have looked like. The one's seen at the show looked like a standard SPST (single pole, single throw) switch (Bakelite case and small tab-style screw connections) with a short cone-shaped arm that has a ball on the end of the arm. I'll post a picture later, of what I saw and have in-hand.

I get this sneaky suspicion that this may be (yet again) another case of WH using whatever part was handy at the time of manufacture.

Eriks Red horse herd

Mike- The switch Jim (Linen beige) shows can be picked up at any electrical supply house they were also used on early weed wackers. Now on two of my two 58's the switches, the bodys of the switch is square and they're original to the tractors. The square body switchs are a discontinued item :thumbs2: (any where) have already tryed to find a replacement. But you might try a old electric motor shop they might have something in the back. Or get a two pole switch and gound one of the poles to the out side case of the switch. Just a thaught! good luck on what ever you decide.

MikesRJ

Eric,

I have a supply of what I believe to be "original". Also, the ones I have are circa 1956 switches, with very little doubt as to their date of manufacture. If nothing else they are period-correct.

Do the ones you have look like these?. Is this the correct switch?

037a.jpg

037b.jpg

037c.jpg

And here's a pretty pair of Horseshoes! Complete with "upgraded" axle ball bearings, which replaced the original sintered iron bearings. This falls under the heading "Restoration Enhancement", strictly intended to preserve the front spindles. I don't believe the tires will need that second coat of "Black Tire Paint" either.

QUESTION: Someone has now told me that they believe the tires may not be the correct vintage for a 1958 RJ. Does anyone have an opinion whether these are correct or not?

It's too late to change them at this stage of the game, so the preceding is strictly a rhetorical question. They are too pretty to turn back now! ......... :thumbs2:

037d.jpg

linen beige

Mike, I've seen both types of switches on the RJs. It may have been a mid year change of suppliers and Wheel Horse kept the original part number? I believe this one to be original to my 704, but I'm not 100% sure. I haven't found any other parts on the 704 that are not correct for that tractor. Wheel Horse may have changed to this type to save the cost of the extra wire and the labor to install it.

The on/off plate from this switch perfectly matches the outline left on the hood of my RJ-58 and if I recall correctly, this plate was the same on both types of switch.

The type you show was used on a lot of machines (tractors, cars, shop equipment, etc.) during the post war years. I think that type would be relatively easy to find. Here's a link to one that might be a close match for the lever, although the under hood part is different. It's about half way down the page, part # 35-170. No size is listed though.

http://www.action-electronics.com/switches.htm#Standard

MikesRJ

Thanks Jim. That'll be a lot of help.

wallfish

That black stuff really makes those tires look good! $20 for (almost) brand new tires. Thanks again for that switch Mike! Are you going to fill them? They did come filled from the factory and when you get it running you'll know why.

MikesRJ
That black stuff really makes those tires look good! $20 for (almost) brand new tires. Thanks again for that switch Mike!

MikesRJ

The square body switches are a discontinued item :thumbs2: (any where) have already tried to find a replacement.

Is the switch in the pictures I posted the same switch you were looking for Erik?

Eriks Red horse herd

Mike the switch looks close but i will have to check in the day light. I no it only has one post not two and the switch lever I think is straight not with little ball at the top? Going off memory so I'm not positive! will try to get pic's tomorrow.

linen beige

Mike the switch looks close but i will have to check in the day light. I no it only has one post not two and the switch lever I think is straight not with little ball at the top? Going off memory so I'm not positive! will try to get pic's tomorrow.

:thumbs2: That sounds like you're describing a hybrid of my switch and the one Mike pictured. :thumbs:

TT, What type of switch does your 704 have on it?

MikesRJ

:thumbs2:

Axle Seals and bronze bearings finally arrived (yesterday afternoon). Got them installed in the tranny last night, cleaned and degrease the exterior, and got the tranny into a fresh light coat of primer.

Will shoot some red on it today and post pictures tomorrow. Finally I can get back in high gear with this project.

TT

TT, What type of switch does your 704 have on it?

I checked my early 502, the 633, and the 704 and they all have the self-grounding switch like you posted the pictures of, Jim.

roundhoodstuff72509016.jpg

roundhoodstuff72509003.jpg

roundhoodstuff72509001.jpg

roundhoodstuff72509010.jpg

Mike: awesome progress on your RJ! :thumbs2:

MikesRJ

Terry and Jim,

Thanks for the pictures. Very helpful.

Terry,

Thanks for the compliments, I'm getting very near to the end of the tractor restoration, but still a lot of work left to do. The hood alone will take a bit of time, but the frame should go rather quickly. Tranny got it's first coat of red and, as I said earlier, I'll post pictures of it probably tomorrow or the day after.

I'm starting to get to the point where the excitement is building. Up to now I haven't thought much about the end result, just been too focused on the work at hand.

MikesRJ

Transmission, or more appropriately the entire back-end, is almost ready to go. There are a few pieces missing and one backwards in the pictures below, but you'll get the idea.

Here's a statement I've made before.......

The Story of Restoration

You Start here........

017.JPG

..... and you end here!

038a.jpg

038b.jpg

038c.jpg

038d.jpg

stevebo

where did you get the tire paint? Product name? Looks great!!

MikesRJ

I bought it from the M. E. Miller eBay store. The stuff is awesome! Well worth the $20.00 and it'll go a long, long way. I quart will probably do this tractor before every show, and my three cars, for the next 5 years. A one quart container makes a half gallon of "paint", and the tractor tires took a whopping 3 ounces of product to do two coats on each tire.

The tire paint is called "Black Tire Paint" and can be found at;

M. E. Miller Tire Co.

17386 State Hwy 2

Wauseon, OH 43567-9486

http://www.millertire.com/

phone: 419.335.7010

fax: 419.335.9881

toll free: 800.621.1955

Email: memiller[AT.AT]bright[DOT.DOT]net (email addresses "munged" to keep the innocent SPAM free)

Business Hours Monday-Friday 8:00 - 5:00 pm EST

From their website:

If you want to fax (419.335.9881) or e-mail (memiller[AT.AT]bright[DOT.DOT]net) your order, please call or e-mail for your shipping cost. Some of our products are available to order online at our M. E. Miller eBay Store.

linen beige

I checked my early 502, the 633, and the 704 and they all have the self-grounding switch like you posted the pictures of, Jim.

Thanks Terry. It's beginning to look even more like Wheel Horse changed parts, from the rounded ball end toggle to the smooth shaft toggle, without changing part numbers. Or maybe the ball end toggles I've seen on a few RJs were replacements? :thumbs2:

MikesRJ

Fellows,

Check out the bottom of page 11, I think I found a viable replacement source:

Switch Specs - PDF

Look for part - 55089 SPST Light Duty Grounding Switch

Also found a supplier:

Electric Direct

Also found this one too, and it's available at Ace Hardware:

Raco P/N 6362

3135431.jpg

MikesRJ

Does anyone have a picture of the brake configuration, perhaps from an original RJ or unmolested (w/ original or replaced OEM spring) version. It did not have the correct spring installed when I picked it up in TN so I don't know what "right" looks like. I'm looking for a picture similar to the below shot. Any pictures or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

038e.jpg

MikesRJ

I also have 16 of these with the correct ON-OFF placard: They are "Grounding SPST Toggle Switches, 5A, 120V", single terminal, body grounded, and appear to be the original per the RJ manual. Pictures aren't very good, so I'll try to get a better one later.

SPSTSwitchGrounded_1.jpg

SPSTSwitchGrounded_2.jpg

d180man

Hi looks great! good job ! :thumbs2: :thumbs:

VinsRJ

Does anyone have a picture of the brake configuration, perhaps from an original RJ or unmolested (w/ original or replaced OEM spring) version. It did not have the correct spring installed when I picked it up in TN so I don't know what "right" looks like. I'm looking for a picture similar to the below shot. Any pictures or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

038e.jpg

Mike,

Here's a couple pics of a RJ tranny that I have in stock which has never been apart.

Let me know if this helps and if you need better pics.

Vince

Attached Image

post-3-1248743418.jpg