MikesRJ

RJ-58 Restoration begins

HorseFixer

Looks like you have a good start :thumbs2:

MikesRJ

Looks like you have a good start :thumbs2:

Duke,

I still have your email at home (home is PA, I am presently still in TN till Sunday) after our previous conversations. Would you mind if I send you another email with a few questions? Thanks in advance.

Coadster32

Looks like a great start. :thumbs2:

MikesRJ

while stripping the steering wheel I located a number (2159) punched into the steering wheel hub. Can anyone here tell me if this is the serial number for the tractor, or something else. It does not appear to be the part number for the wheel as the parts list reads the number to be p/n: 3415.

019.jpg

CasualObserver

McGuire, good to see you over here.

Perhaps that's the part number of the casting? The serial numbers on RJs were only on the decal on the frame rail towards the front. Many are lost because that decal comes off.

I'll have to check mine and see if there's anything there.

HorseFixer

HorseFixer

Here is what a Model And Serial Number Tag looks like on a RJ. My RJ was in pretty fair shape and unmolested The Serial # is legible but not from that camera angle :thumbs2:

RJDIFFERENCES006.jpg

CasualObserver

Just went and looked at mine... must be the casting number for the center piece, mine has the same number on it.

TT

Since that number appears on the majority of that style of steering wheels, I'd say it is the manufacturer's P/N. Wheel Horse bought those wheels from a contracted "outside" supplier just like they did with Kelch in later years.

Chances are you'll find that same number on steering wheels used on other machines from the same era.

MikesRJ

That reminds me. I know there are several sources for the three stickers (2xWH + shifter pattern) for the RJ, but does anyone know of a source for a reproduction Model/Serial sticker for the RJ? I has abe using another frame which has a painted over Mod/Ser sticker. If I can get the paint off, without trashing the underlying sticker, I may use that frame and try to get a repro sticker with that serial number on it. Any thoughts?

clintonnut

Looks like you are making progress :thumbs2:

We never take the steering wheel off the shaft we just sandblast it all together. I see you are located in S.E. PA. What town are you in? You can come look at our RJs if you need some measurements. We also have a unmolested plow you can take measurements on. We are located 15 miles south of Gap, PA on RT41.

Charlie

Duff

That reminds me. I know there are several sources for the three stickers (2xWH + shifter pattern) for the RJ, but does anyone know of a source for a reproduction Model/Serial sticker for the RJ? I has abe using another frame which has a painted over Mod/Ser sticker. If I can get the paint off, without trashing the underlying sticker, I may use that frame and try to get a repro sticker with that serial number on it. Any thoughts?

My money would be on Terry Dennis (Vinylguy). He seems to be prepared to fab up just about any sticker or decal for any Horse, and he does a terrific job of it!

Duff :thumbs2:

MikesRJ

Looks like you are making progress :thumbs2:

We never take the steering wheel off the shaft we just sandblast it all together. I see you are located in S.E. PA. What town are you in? You can come look at our RJs if you need some measurements. We also have a unmolested plow you can take measurements on. We are located 15 miles south of Gap, PA on RT41.

Charlie

Charlie,

Thanks for the offer, and I will probably take you up on it. I do have a few questions concerning dimensions. Also, I am just up the road from you in Downingtown. PM me with a phone number and I will call you next week. I'll be traveling from TN to PA tomorrow morning.

stevinator

I saw the tractor at MTF,your gettin after it. :thumbs2: I got my decals from Mayhew's reproductions but can't remeber the contact info.Someone on here or mtf can tell you because that's how I found out in the first place.

linen beige

Since that number appears on the majority of that style of steering wheels, I'd say it is the manufacturer's P/N. Wheel Horse bought those wheels from a contracted "outside" supplier just like they did with Kelch in later years.

Chances are you'll find that same number on steering wheels used on other machines from the same era.

:thumbs2:

That's precisely what I was told by Toro several years ago. The same # is on the hub of my RJ-58 and both of my 400s.

MikesRJ

Decided to keep a running web page log of the progress if anyone is interested. Making allot of headway, and talking to Duke, Vic and **** McNeal, and the Byers family at the show was immensely helpful. Thanks to all for your suggestions and sage advice. Lots of good looking machine there, and I am already making plans to attend next year.

RJ-58 Restoration Progress Web Page

Suburban 550

Keep up the good work. :thumbs: Lookin' good. :thumbs2:

Gene_S

Looks like your going to have a better then new tractor. Great job :thumbs: Do you by any chance write books on the side? :thumbs2:

Thanks,

Gene :ychain:

MikesRJ

Looks like your going to have a better then new tractor. Great job :thumbs: Do you by any chance write books on the side? :thumbs2:

Thanks,

Gene :ychain:

Nope, don't write books, but it sure looks that way doesn't it? :ROTF:

I just like the research part as much as the restoration part. I'm trying to restore this machine back to "documented" configuration as closely as possible, with only longevity mdoifications.

The restoration log is just my way of documenting the research and learning process parts, and I guess justifying what I am doing and why. I believe it will become useful to the community for informational purposes, should anyone else new to RJ58/59 restorations stumble across the pages.

MikesRJ

Does anyone know what the status of the gas cap was, for the RJ58 coming from Wheelhorse in 1958? Was it painted, or left bare metal? Thanks in advance.

Gene_S

The restoration log is just my way of documenting the research and learning process parts, and I guess justifying what I am doing and why. I believe it will become useful to the community for informational purposes, should anyone else new to RJ58/59 restorations stumble across the pages.

Your very right McGuire2003 it makes it nice for another person who is about to restore their machine. Your doing a very good detailed job... :thumbs: Keep up the good work... :thumbs2:

Thanks,

Gene

MikesRJ

Your very right McGuire2003 it makes it nice for another person who is about to restore their machine. Your doing a very good detailed job... :thumbs: Keep up the good work... :thumbs2:

Thanks,

Gene

You have also given me an idea. When I finish the restoration, I think I will port the entire article over to PDF to create a download. Thanks for the kind words, and the encouragement they provide.

Also, if any of the experienced RJ restorers have comment on any of the articles content, either public or private, please post them here or PM me. Thanks.

Still waiting on an answer to the gas cap question.........

MikesRJ

Here's a nice start-to-finish thing to see... Purdy too!

The story of restoration:

You start here.....

032a.jpg

..... and End here .....

031c.jpg

And the top picture reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask of the experts.

I can't count the number of RJ's I've seen with the pipe hanger being used as a muffler pipe clamp, rather than replacing (apparently) the original U-bolt. Does anyone have an explanation for this phenomenon other than they are usually more handy than a 1-1/16" u-bolt?

linen beige

Still waiting on an answer to the gas cap question.........

Mine's painted. I beleive it to be original. I know for sure the one on my '60 400 (Which my dad bought in '60) was painted when new.