Sign in to follow this  
N.C. horserider

Exhaust Help

N.C. horserider

Have a problem with the exhaust can getting so hot it burns the side of the hood, are there any sheilds available or anybody that has made one that could help out.

These Kohlers put out a lot of heat. The can is about an inch from the hood and a half inch from the air cleaner. Any suggestions for an alternate way to run the exhaust are appreciated.

001.jpg

003.jpg

wh500special

You can fashion a heat shield from a piece of heavy sheet steel and affix it to the outside of the muffler leaving an air gap of 1/2" or more between the muffler surface and the sheild. For ideas, roll under your automobile and have a look at how they do it under there. All you're doing in that case is blocking the radiant heat from the muffler's surface.

You might also want to verify that the timing and carb adjustments on your engine are set correctly. If the engine is running too lean or the spark is not timed properly your exhaust might just be abnormally hot and can be fixed by some adjustments to the running characteristics. I had a C-160 that would make the exhaust elbow glow red at night until I gave it a carb overhaul and a tuneup.

Steve

Kelly

I have a tractor that the PO put a alum heat shield on it looks bad he could have done a better job but it seems to work, held on with large hose clamps.

N.C. horserider

wh500 good idea never thought to look under the car it's to obvious sitting in driveway. I'll check the carb and ignition out tomorrow thanks.

Kelly that sparked an idea thanks.

TLWheelHorse

Wrap it in exhaust header wrap... Should contain the heat inside the muffler and bring the temps down.

Or they have heat shield (with a sticky back) you can put on the hood itself.

They carry these products at advanced auto:

http://www.designengineering.com/products.asp

I have used the header wrap on my car, and heat shield tubing on my 4-wheeler. Nice products..