Sign in to follow this  
fordsonmajortom

Diesel Horse

fordsonmajortom

There's a 512 D on uk ebay , I see that they only produced this model for a year.Was it not very succesfull as they only made it for a year or was the Robin diesel not up to it.

Michael

Jim_M

I have no personal experience with these but I've heard that the engine was reliable, dependable and nearly indestructable. I've heard the reason for the short production run of these was due to the price. They were priced considerably higher than most of the gas powered Wheel Horses of the same era.

If I had the chance to buy one I would jump on it, but I have never seen one in person here in the US.

HorseFixer

Looks pretty :thumbs: I bet it has torque out the azz! :thumbs2:

wh500special

If I had the chance to buy one I would jump on it, but I have never seen one in person here in the US.

I think you'd be fighting off the likes of me and Dustin too!

As far as anyone knows, these were export-only tractors. I'd bet perhaps a few lingered here in the States, but probably not many.

About 10 years ago on eBay a Sweepster broom was listed in Minneapolis. The seller said it had been removed from a 512D Wheel Horse. Having never heard of one I assumed he meant "520". I wish I'd have followed up on that at the time and think of it every time this topic comes up. Who knows.

The Robin engines are supposed to be nice little power units. The DY41 used in this application is rated elsewhere as an 8.5hp/9hp model, so I'm not sure where the "12" in 512 comes from. :thumbs2: They are stout little engines, but apparently in this application a special starter and bracket was used that was problematic and actually would - on occasion - break the block of the engine! Apparently warranty fixes on this tractor were tough to swallow for WH since Robin did not sell a shortblock and required either the entire engine to be replaced or required the purchase of a bare-block neccessitating costly complete teardown and rebuild.

Since I couldn't get a real Diesel Horse, I made one from a C165-8 and a clone 10 diesel. I'll start a thread on that in the engines section later...(EDIT: Here it is )

There is just something about diesels and tractors that goes together like "peas and carrots"

Forest Gump

dkopp

I would just love to drop one of them new Kohler twin cylinder diesels into my heartless C-111. Think about it, smooth power, lots of torque at low RPM's. :thumbs2:

fordsonmajortom

We have got the 1968 brochure and price list which lists the 512-D. This was priced at

fordsonmajortom

I got the 512 D on tuesday,so i am now the proud owner of a diesel horse.She starts and runs well, every thing works and the oil is clean in the transaxle.There are one or two minor issues with it ,no stop cable,small leak in the diesel tank etc but apart from that mechically sound.

Tried the mowing deck out on some long grass with very blunt blades she mowed in high second with hardly any revs drop an no black smoke mores the pity, you cant beat some black smoke when a diesel is pulling hard.

There's now another on on uk ebay now its got up to

igota310-8

That is sooooo Cool, you need to make a video so we can hear her go!

Congratulations!

Eric

Stigian

Hi Michael, so that's who was making the price go up :ychain:

I was one click away from spending more that I could afford on it, but backed out at the last second.

Glad to hear it has gone to a good home

Just no bidding on the 518 hydro you hear :thumbs2::ROTF:

Oh, out of interest another 512D has popped up on fleabay, looks like you got yours for a good price :thumbs:

Another 512D Link

WheelHorse_of_course

Congrtulations!

:ychain:

:thumbs: :thumbs2:

iicap

Guys, I don't say much here on RS these days, But----- about a week / ten days ago there was a Wheel Horse Diesel with attachments for sale on CL eastern CT with a RI address. It was very pricey and I thought a misprint on the diesel part. It was being sold by a woman. the Pics appeared to be same as the one in the UK.

iicap

I retract my earlier statement about the diesel tractor from RI. I have found the add and I will call her tomorrow and see if it is a misprint. It does not look like the UK tractor. It looks like a Toro/ MTD type of machine/ vertical shaft. I apologise for being misleading and will post what she has to say. She has it as a 523DXI and that only comes up as a decal on Toro search for me. One of you can prob do a bettter search than me.

iicap

Ok I called this woman today, she says the tractor was just sold. It was not a mistake it had a diesel engine. It was purchased new with a 48' deck and they bought a 62" for it. 240 hrs on it

The add is still there today, with the pics, CL Eastern CT. posted on 06/15/09. titled "WH Diesel Tractor 523DXI, w/att.- $4,500.00".

I tried but could not copy and paste add with the pic's. Could she still be mistaken? She sounded pretty sure of herself that it was diesel talking to her.

Again I'm sorry for any misleading info

truckin88

those are not MTD machines, they are the 520XI series, and the deisel ones are rare, amazing, and expensive. They aren't the beloved 73 and up GT's but they are built well, I think they are horizontal shaft most of them etc, not sure. Look up 520XI and 522XI.. are not as many attachments, but they push blowers well.

Bow_Extreme

The 523DXI is correct. They are good tractors!! I'm still looking for one if I ever come across one within a reasonable distance.

Nick

Those 523Dxi diesels looked like great tractors but I think the list price with a deck was over $10,000. They are starting to pop up now and then at good prices so with luck you might find a good deal on one.

iicap

Hey guys, thanks for the comeback, glad to know they do exist and the lady was correct, did anyone try to look at the add and what was offered for $4,500.00. With 240 hrs and all those att. guess it was a pretty good deal.

Thanks again

Bow_Extreme

I didn't see the ad but that is a fair price for a diesel with any attachments.

poodle

does any one know the engine model# I'd love to make a clone of this bad boy

iicap

427, thanks for posting the ad, I see how you did it.

I've only been doing this Wheel Horse/ Garden Tractor thing since last Jan and this is the first time I've ever seen reference to this series with the diesel in it. Much about repowering with other diesels, but nothing on factory built. Would be nice if someone has the info Poodle asked for.

M550

Hi everyone.

Engine is a 3 cylinder Diahatsu diesel. 522447 is the code. It is, apparently, made for quite a few machine. Check google and do a search with the number above.

Ltr, Didier

iicap

M550, Thank You

fordsonmajortom

here she isIMAG0010.jpg

IMAG0009.jpg

IMAG0007.jpg

Michael