Sign in to follow this  
tgranthamfd

Spindles

tgranthamfd

Hey guys, just wondering if any spindles will work on the suburbans. The part # is no longer available. Was hopeing that some other model was a close enough match, and still being produced. The old ones are really grooved out on the bottom inside on both thr left and the right.

sorekiwi

The problem with those early spindles is that the bore in the axle was verticle (so the two "arms" of the spindle were at 90 degrees to each other), and the later axles had some King Pin Inclination added, so the arms are at more than 90 degrees.

If thet are NLA, you will have to search for some NOS ones, or some better used ones.

They probably wouldnt be too hard to make, but you'd probably have to heat that 3/4 bar in order to bend it. Probably expensive if you have to pay a welding shop to do it.

On my 502 I bronze welded the worn part of the spindle, then filed it to fit the bore in the axle (couldnt work out how to chuck it up in a lathe!!) Its held together well so far, but that tractor doent get a lot of use either. While I was at it I did the same thing to the worn areas where the wheel bearing had worn it.

tgranthamfd

I know at work, when we were in a bind, we welded up a bad bearing groove and filed it down until the bearing fit tightly, then emery clothed it for a better fit. Guess I could try that. We used 6011 at work, but all I have is a Hobart 187 wire (220 V ) that says it will weld up to 5/16", although I have wleded 3/8" with it and it wasn't cranked all the way up, was useing flux core wire too. Wonder if it would be good enough. Got to do both sides, as well. Bearings won't be in untill later this week. Oh well, should give me time to get the wheels and tires done, just got to finish painting 1 front, haven't taken off the rears yet. :thumbs2:

tgranthamfd

Turns out the front shafts weren't that bad, the previous owners had taken out the bearings and replaced them with 7/8" bushings, so seemed real loose, but they was not that bad. Put new needle bearing, bearings in it. Just need to adjust out the side to side play, and it should be ok, for now.