Sign in to follow this  
Rideawaysenior

What a haul

Rideawaysenior

Well, yesterday I took a ride. A very long ride up to Fort Kent ME to meet with Greg AKA Norman from our group. The trip one way was 489 miles and let me tell you with the hills and my box trailer, my Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 Hemi passed everything but a gas station. I would say the entire trip of almost 1,000 miles cost just under $200.00 in fuel but it was well worth it. I left at about 4am and finally got there a little after 12 noon. I was loaded with a 414-8 with a 16hp engine with a tiller all set to go, Raider 10, 36in rear discharge deck and a few other items.

Greg was outside when I pulled up with a big "howdy do" and smile on his face. Real nice guy and a pleasure to meet. He seemed real happy with his score, and I was equally impressed with what I brought home. I'll post some pics later on but what came back was a 420 LSE with deck, a D180 with a 26hp Kohler EFI engine and a three speed rear end. All set and done, I did good and hope he feels the same. I wish it was not such a long drive as I would have stayed and talked a little longer with him.

Greg, thanks very much again.

Jack

HorseFixer

Jack Sounds Like Quite a Haul! :thumbs2:

norman

Well, yesterday I took a ride. A very long ride up to Fort Kent ME to meet with Greg AKA Norman from our group. The trip one way was 489 miles and let me tell you with the hills and my box trailer, my Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 Hemi passed everything but a gas station. I would say the entire trip of almost !,000 miles cost just under $200.00 in fuel but it was well worth it. I left at about 4am and finally got there a little after 12 noon. I was loaded with a 414-8 with a 16hp engine with a tiller all set to go, Raider 10, 36in rear discharge deck and a few other items.

Greg was outside when I pulled up with a big "howdy do" and smile on his face. Real nice guy and a pleasure to meet. He seemed real happy with his score, and I was equally impressed with what I brought home. I'll post some pics later on but what came back was a 420 LSE with deck, a D180 with a 26hp Kohler EFI engine and a three speed rear end. All set and done, I did good and hope he feels the same. I wish it was not such a long drive as I would have stayed and talked a little longer with him.

Greg, thanks very much again.

Jack

Jack is was a pleasure having you... and I hope you enjoy your 420 because I wanted it to go to a GREAT home... And the D180 also......

Of all the things you have been thru and to be so upbeat and take this ride to "you cant here from there" Show what kind of person you are....

I could have talked to you all day also....

It will be my turn next and maybe for the D160 Ha....

Keep in touch and please send pics of the progress.....

Oh BTW I tilled 1/2 of my garden after you left.... The 414-8 (16hp) runs awesome and with a little french rigging the lift works great...

The Raider 10 will be an easy fix...... I want to get it running so I can you it to mow....

And thank you for the 18 hp Vert and caster..... Will post pics of the final product....

A french swisher tow behind 54 inch mower.....

Thanks Jack and please dont be a stranger......

Jack is a true WHEEL HORSE NUT FANATIC ETC..... :thumbs2:

1000 Miles Guys

norman

Hi Forum Friends

Jack AKA rideawaysenior just logged 489 miles 1 way to Maine to drop and pickup some Wheel Horse goodies....

Awesome Haul

norman

AWESOME HAUL JACK

Great to meet you

TJ

That is a haul. :thumbs2:

Rideawaysenior

Here are some pics of the 420 LSE. I'm going to go through her from the ground up. Anyone know where or who might be able to make some chrome decals?

100_1751.jpg

100_1750.jpg

100_1749.jpg

100_1748.jpg

100_1747.jpg

100_1746.jpg

Rideawaysenior

It needs some attention but I've already made a few calls to a friend who does chrome plating for restoration shops and he' s going to hook me up there. The paint I'm also going to have done by my neighbor who does special detail work at his autobody shop. The only thing left is to find some decals.

Duff

Jack, I'll lay odds Terry Dennis (Vinylguy) can hook you up. If it's a decal-related, I'm pretty sure he's capable. Might PM him?

Nice haul, my friend. Got to come see it in person and get that tranny..... :thumbs:

Best always,

Duff :thumbs2:

Sparky

Cool tractor Jack. Is anyones name on the build plaque?

Mike........

CHARGER9AUTO

Cool tractor Jack. Is anyones name on the build plaque?

Mike........

Mike, I had the 48" TORO Wheel Horse Snow / Dozer Blade from Jack in trade for my '68 LAWN RANGER on the 418-A pushin fallen trees out of the way . in the woods where I ride around on my Horses . Ben

Rideawaysenior

Mike,

Nope the plate is blank.

73-18 automatic

Pics of the D-160 please :thumbs2:

Rideawaysenior

Here is the post thread that has the pics of my well used 420 LSE. I just had the seat redone. I'll be posting some pics in the AM.

420lse

Looks like it's in a lot better cond. than mine. Hows the decal search going?

Rideawaysenior

My neighbor has a friend that says the sign shop he works for can make them. I'm just waiting on him to comon over and do what he needs to do in order to get them printed. I was thinking of getting a few sets just in case it needs another restore down the road, or someone here needs a set.

Shuboxlover

How many hours are on that baby???

I love seeing old NOS tractors like the one Rick just picked up, but I ALSO love to see these special tractors in there used condition.....I would like to know the story behind the person who bought it, and the smile on their face while they are out using the crap out of their $7K garden tractor!!!

keep us posted with the restore

rickv1957

Jack,looks like a very nice haul indeed !! B) Rick

Rideawaysenior

It's got some 900 hours on it, and I'm going to venture that it was used every single one of them. I wish I knew the entire story behind it. The gut I got it from is a great guy. Norman from Kent ME which as you may have read in the beginning of the post was almost 500 miles away one way. It was quite the trip, but well worth it. The 420 and a D180 was traded to me for some cash and a couple of other units.

The 420 as you can see in the pics looks like a used machine from the mid 80's. The seat had some weathering and some cracks. I had it redone at a local shop and it came out real nice. The steering wheel I am going to try to polish the chrome and recolor the leather as its not in that bad of shape. The engine does run but the Norman (Greg) advised that there was a hole in the block so, knowing it runs, and seems to run smooth, I'm going to open the case to see what caused the hole. While apart, I'm planning on new rings and gaskets as well as what ever else needs to be replaced.

I've spoken with a few guys about the body work and they seem to feel that a shop may not be the way to go. I really wanted to have it done by someone who will do it right. Not saying I won't, I just don't have the same experience. Marv told me a horror story about dealing with a body shop and restoring a tractor. So, I guess I'll see what damage I can do first and then see. I'm fortunate in one aspect, I've got a friend that owns a body shop in the area and he will let me use his spray booth which is 100 times better then the vented table that I set up.

I plan on documenting this one well, so stay tuned for updates.

Roger from southern Iowa

It sounds like a lot of nice equipment changed hands. I'm anxious to see more pics of the rest of the story. B) Sounds like both parties are happy, good exchange!

norman

It sounds like a lot of nice equipment changed hands. I'm anxious to see more pics of the rest of the story. B) Sounds like both parties are happy, good exchange!

Just to comment.... Jack is a great guy also and the trade we made was like the old days.... A hand shake type of deal... Felt good both parties were happy and Jack I WANT PICS of the 420 as you start fixing her up....

Rideawaysenior

No worries Greg, I'll send them along. I have not started with much yet, I'm still waiting on my decal guy to do what he needs to do so I can get them printed. I'm locked and loaded so to speak and ready to git r done though.