Sign in to follow this  
Chopper Tom

20 hp onan help

Chopper Tom

:omg: Can anyone tell me if there is an alternative to a Nikki 6100 carb for a 20hp Onan?

I bought an EZ GO GXI1500 work cart that seems to get too much gas and boggs down when I work the throttle. I get fuel droplets flying out of the carb and the engine runs so hot that the exhaust manifold glows red. I pulled the heads and lapped the valves to a good seat. I also pulled the carb and cleaned the hell out of it but did not rebuild it. This did not correct the problem and I have deduced(I think) the problem to the carb. I was told that the rebuild kit ran about $150.00 but I see the same carb go for $95.00 new and complete! BUT, I don't want to "spend" anymore than I have to while I'm troubleshooting. It's bad enough I'm reusing the head,intake, and exhaust manifold gaskets which would be about $250.00 for the amount of times I've pulled them! I don't want to swap carbs with my 520H to test because with my luck, the Horse would stop running right! No local shops will "part" a carb out off of a motor, and we all know why. Short story long, can anyone tell me if there are any other carbs that are in wide supply and would work on an Onan?

Thanx,

Chopper Tom

Ian928

I am not sure if you have the same type of Onan engine as us, but our engine did the same thing as you described. We made an adapter and fitted a small SU carburettor off a Triumph Spitfire. This carburettor is a vacuum type and is adjustable. It is working really well! (Although we plan to refit the regulator that the PO removed).

175541177_9f041662b7_o.jpg

kpinnc

Though I have not verified it, the Onan Performer engine's carbs and the Briggs V-twin Vanguard engines seem to have identical carbs. Very similar, in the least. Might be worth looking into.

Kevin