Sign in to follow this  
tgranthamfd

what color primer

tgranthamfd

In my experiances, I have found that different color primers change the tint of the top coat color. My question is for you guys beautiful paint jobs , that I have seen, which color primer do some of you prefer. And if part rattle canned and part sprayed, will I have trouble getting it to match? Just for grins I see a lot using rusto regal red and a lot using IH red, which do some of you prefer?

PetesPonies

In reality, with most paints it does not make a difference in the final hue of the top coat. I use gray primers exclusively and use it under everytop coat I spray . . this is in automobile painting. I have in the past, used red primer under many different top coats. It could have an effect with translucent colors and three stage paint jobs. But a single stage white or red is not going to be effected.

travisg84

When painting my garden cart I used the ruddy brown rustoluem primer. It seemed to be a pretty good product.

linen beige

When the primer closely matches the shade of the top coat any future scrathes/chips will be less of an eyesore. :thumbs2:

Coadster32

I used a white primer. My concern was to use a bare metal primer, not just some sort of primer. White was all that I could fine. With enough paint, I wouldn't think the primer color would matter. Linen Beige brought up a good point about scratches though. (not that a scratch would call for a total restore job anyway) :thumbs2:

lakeratokc

The primer makes no differance, except for how much paint you have to use. I personally use grey rm primer for everything except yellow or 3 stage candys. The color of the paint should take over, if not, you arent getting coverage . the primer is not for top coats, it just provides a protective layer, and a good adhesion surface, with the added benefit of smoothing.