Sign in to follow this  
Workin_Horses

C160 Transmission oil

Workin_Horses

I bought and thus now have a 1976 C-160(61-16KS02) but I don't have a book for it. There was a leak in one of the hoses so I have drained the oil to fix the hose. The cap is on the transmission fill tube but unfortunately the dipstick is missing so I can't check the actual level. :omg: How much oil does it take to fill the transimission to the proper level?

Thanks

D3R3K

it takes either 4 or 5 quarts of 10W-30 motor oil

kyle y

i have a 161 hydro and it takes 5.5 quarts to fill the trans

kyle y

if anyone has any idea how to adjust the set screws on a 161 hydro i would appreciate the help got it up and running but engaged it forward and it went backward almost killed my nephew not really but was funny id appreciate the help

can whlvr

i dont know of ant set screws,sounds like you need to look at the linkage and the cam plate and the ball that slips into the camplate

Trouty56

Huh?? Sounds like the motor housing is on upside down maybe.

Does it go backwards really fast when you put the lever forward and go forward slower when you pull the lever back???

This isn't a 160 though.....maybe the 161 has an eaton tranny and I'm full o crap....let me check first before you listen to me.

OK.....it has the Sundstrand so I might be right.....

squonk

Try jacking up the rear. Make sure lever is in neutral. Loosen set screw. Start motor and engage drive belt. There is a screwdriver slot in the shaft the set screw tightens against turn the shaft with a stubby screwdriver so the wheels are not moving at all and tighten the set screw. When I got my C-160 that set screw was missing. I could move the motion lever and that pivot arm would grab that shaft only when it felt like it. Made for some interesting adventures just driving it into the shop! :jaw:

Trouty56

I guess it could be an adjustment but the motor cover could be on upside down too. When I got my first tractor I got it cheap cause it would go in reverse when the lever was pushed forward among other things. I posted one my first questions on the forum about this and the cover was upside down.

can whlvr

sorry kyle y,i was thinking of the first post which is definatly a sundstrand but yours could be an eaton,so im not sure about that setup

kyle y

thanks for the info once again am gonna try that tonight and will let you know

kyle y

as much of a dingbat this makes me ive been saying its a 161 hydro its actually a 141 hydro bought a used trans for it from a 121 like you sad it goes like a bat out of hell backwards with the handle forward but barely and i mean barely moves forward with the wheels in the air i thought there were set screws on that shaft but its a pin so ill have to assume and we all know about that that that cover is on upside down wont think that was possible but then again i also was thinking it was a 161 as always thanks in advance for any and all help embarrassly kyle

TT

@Kyle: Did you ever drive this tractor before or did you buy it in non-running/driving condition? That's helpful information to those who are trying to help sort your problems.

You can adjust the neutral cam 'til your blue in the face and it won't change the forward = reverse / reverse = forward on the DCL issue.

Regardless if it's a C-121, 141, or, 161, they all had the piston-to-piston Sundstrand hydro with the outboard brake drum on the motor.

Follow the advice from Bob T. and flip the hydro motor cover on the lower left side of the transaxle.

kyle y

bought the 141 about 5 years ago and was anexcellent tractor till the trans let go got another trans used will flip the cover and let you know thanks again

william y

the transmission after the cover was flipped did make reverse and forward work but took a long time to engage and reverse barely works.

Trouty56

You guys brothers or what???? lol Better check the oil level....If the linkage has not been moved the speeds should be the same as before....just a different direction. Nothing fell out when you pulled the cover did it?? The revolver stayed put???

william y

alright thanks we will have to change the linkage.

william y

when we change the linkage should that get rid of the sluggish start

Trouty56

William....I'm not sure what you did prior to flipping the motor cover. My guess is that if everything is as it was before then the tractor should work fine.

william y

thanks we will fix the linkage

william y

what change can you do to the linkage

Trouty56

There isn't much. Just change the neutral setting. I would go back and read from the beginning on the neutral thing. If things a not right afterwards then I would open it up and be sure the revolver and ring behind it are set properly. I has to be right for it to work. There is a sundstrand manual in the files section....maybe you should download it and try to look at some of the steps.

william y

also is there a check valve that could be causing the forward and reverse to take a while to get it to work because once it goes in to neutral then back it is real slow

thanks for the info

Trouty56

On my 160 it is behind my left leg under the fender (that is when I am sitting on the tractor...lol)

william y

on my wheelhorse it takes 3 or 4 minutes to get forward to engage and reverse doesn't really work at all and when the throttle is higher reverse doesnt work at all

Trouty56

Are you sure the belt tensioner is engaged??