Sign in to follow this  
nwh1-0475

36" Mower Deck

nwh1-0475

Gentlemen, I have a 36" Deck that is on a 73 10 Automatic. The center pulley has a slight wobble to it. I was wonder if there was another way to fix it other than buying a new pulley. If I do have to buy a new pulley should I replace the shaft while I am at it?

Thanks, Dustin

Docwheelhorse

HI--it will be very diffivult to fix a bent pulley.... unless its the bearings on the shaft and the whole unit is wobbling back and forth---seen that before. There are used pulleys and shafts etc... for your deck on Ebay right now.

Tony

nwh1-0475

Sorry that I didn't explain very well. The pulley isn't bent, the center hole is worn out, I think. I don't know if the hole is worn out or if the shaft is worn. The pulley that is currently on it is an aftermarket one. The other question that I have is that there is one on ebay of P/N: 103156 which is what mine calls for, I also found one with a P/N: 101849 which is a 1975 deck 36" side discharge, will it also work?

Thanks, Dustin

hodge

Not being able to inspect your setup, I will share what I went through on my B-80. I had the same condition- the pulley center hole had wobbled out enough, in conjunction with wear on the spindle shaft, that the pulley wobbled. Naturally, it will get worse. I tried replacing the pulley, but that wasn't the only problem, and the wear on the shaft caused the newer pulley to eventually wobble and get like the first one. I solved my problem by replacing the spindle and pulley with a used set that was still in great shape. It is good to go now, until it eventually wears down. There is a lot of stress on that pulley. The problem with Ebay is that you can't inspect it until you get it. I bought my last set from a member here on Redsquare, so I not only knew that the seller was aware of what constituted a good spindle/pulley setup, but I could trust the person. It is hard to get that on Ebay, unless you have dealt before/have a working relationship with that seller. Best of luck to you.

USHorse

Similar story to "Hodge" but mine on a older 42" deck with no ID and no part number for spindles. I had new spindles machined but I did not give the machine shop the pullies...so they machined to exact specs on the worn spindles :omg: This allowed too much play when matched new pullies and ended ruining bearings. I ended up buying new pullies (and some bearings) and then had new spindles machined to fit tightly with the new pullies which took out the wobble/play when spinning at high speed. The only good thing is that machine work is free for me (work place favors, etc :drool: )

So what i am suggesting, if rebuilding is your route, make sure all parts are in good order, otherwise your new part may be damaged by our old, etc.

As "Hodge" indicated, buying used may get you a smooth spinning assembly when done by hand, but put it high rpm and it could be a different story. In fact, I have some spindles from a 36" deck considering Ebaying, but now wondering if I am selling questionable quality....its all about your comfort level with buying used. New spindle assemblies are quite pricey, so used are fine with me. Good luck :drool:

nwh1-0475

Can somebody please tell me if the P/N: 101849 pulley will work on my 36" RD Deck. The 101849 is listed for a 1975 36" SD Deck. Mine is a 1973 36" RD Deck. I would like to get this bought off of ebay before the auction ends.

Thanks, Dustin

USHorse

According to Toro Master Parts Viewer, 1973 offered two 36" RD decks. The first model 5-0611 show center pulley as 101849. The second model 5-0621 shows center pulley as 103156. I could not tell you the difference, but Sohar's Parts shows that both part numbers supercede to the same part (probably aftermarket #99-5357) which tells me that it is the same part, but different numbering. Hope this helps.

http://search.cartserver.com/search/search...eywords=99-5357

:omg: