Sign in to follow this  
steven

wheel horse raider 12

steven

Iam a new wheel horse owner, and id like to find out what year this horse is. the model # is 1 6253 and the serial# is 732270. and i want to tune this thing up, however i cannot fine any points or condensor, if it is any help it is a k301, any info would help me . thanks, not sure if im posting this right, so please let me know.

blaise314

Putting your Model # (1-6253) into the Toro Master Parts Viewer, shows your tractor to be a 1970. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly to answer your question about your points.

rickv1957

your model a 1970 would have the breakerless electronic ignition,is the coil small with a single wire attached to the bottom side,if so they are pretty much maintainance free,Rick

steven

ok, it does have the single wire at the bottom, it has a slight backfire and a miss, but will smooth out when i engage the blades, the miss is still there, just not as bad

rickv1957

more than likely your carb is the problem,rebuild kit is about 10.00 or just an adjustment,Rick

steven

ok, thanks, i will get a kit for it tommorow and get started, i do however need to get a gasket that goes to the fuel pump to engine, leaking oil pretty bad, thanks for the info.

gwgdog66

:omg:

Confused99

I have a '70 Raider 12 too. It is a great machine and is my main horse. It has mowing duty during the summer and plow duty during the winter.

Here is a pic of my Raider and my D200 :omg:

IMG00141.jpg

Jason

Raider 12

:drool: I have the same tractor and had an issue with the ignition (lost the spark completly). I had a local mower shop convert it to points ignition, works great now. As far as your oil leak goes (mine had the same problem) take the pump off of the engine and clean it up good. Then look at the pin that the pump lever pivits on, mine had slid out half way and oil was coming out the hole making a big mess. After finding this and knocking it back in and resealing the mounting gasket with a thin coat of RTV, the leak had stopped!!! O.K. on the engine miss if you don't want to tear into the carb just yet try this. There should be two adjustment screws one on top and one on the side, counting the turns, turn them in till they bottom out lightly then take them out all the way. Clean them and if you have an air compressor blow out the holes somewhat then put the screws back in to the original settings and try running it again. This helped mine on low speed and idle speed. Good luck and have fun!! :omg:

steven

my raider 12 is my main mowing machine now, as I just sold my john deere tonight, I will post pictures as soon as i get a camera or figure out how to put pics on here from my cell phone. Thanks for the hardy welcome, this is by far the best wheel horse forum around.

rickv1957

What did you do to get the raider running right,Rick

steven

Great I will try that with the carb adjustmen screws, and fuel pump, I really dont want to tear anything apart until the mowing season is done. I just purchased this raider for $200 and is in very good shape, no rust anywhere, not even the deck, although it has sat in a barn under a canvas cover for 5 years. got it home and checked the fluids and added gas, to my surprise it fired up and ran good, ecxept for the miss and backfire. I will get pics as soon as i can

steven

Hi rick, i havnt done anything yet, but will start in this weekend on the carb adjustment screws and fuel pump, if that dont work then i will rebuild the carb.

steven

Well, i just completed a full tune up and rebuilt the carb on the raider. A big thanks to all the good advice, it runs like new and didnt even hiccup, mowed the yard with it, and it did superb............now ive gotta find another one to bring back to life.

steven

the mechanical fuel pump seems to be leaking oil, I have replaced the pump to engine gasket, but continues to leak oil, where else on that pump could the oil be coming from

rickv1957

more than likely your pump is leaking from the pivit pin on the side of pump,Rick

steven

is that something that can be taken apart and fixed? i spoke with a wheel horse dealer here in marion and he says there is no rebuild kit for them.

rickv1957

if it was mine I would remove and clean pump and add a little JB weld to where pin comes thru pump housing to seal it,or replace pump,Rick

wheel horse 1045

did you get the wheel weights with it

steven

I will do the jb weld and see how that works, and to answer 1045 question, I didnt get the wheel weights, it was just the tractor and deck. I just got back home with a b-80 and a 252h, I really didnt want the 252h but had to take both. the o nly bad thing is the b-80 didnt have a deck with it.

USHorse

:omg: Welcome to RedQuare

:drool:

steven

thanks for the nice welcome, this forum is great. Also, if anyone has a need for a wheel horse 252h I have one that runs but will need a tune up and a crack in the deck fixed. I want to trade it on a good deck that will fit my b-80.

Raider12

:drool: I have the same tractor and had an issue with the ignition (lost the spark completly).

I had the same ignition problem 10 12 years ago with my Raider 12. The local dealer said it was very expensive to replace the modual and the pick coil. So I converted mine my self and after all these years I still have had to replace the points. Run like a top! :omg:

WheelHorse_of_course

A couple of points on the breakerless ignition.

There is an adjustment - the trigger coil must be at a certain gap.

The other thing is the spark plug gap is different than the other models. ISTR it is slightly less. 0.18 vs 0.20?? :omg:

:drool: