Sign in to follow this  
WH1055

Hey guys! New here!

WH1055

Hey guys! I am so glad to have found this forum, I have logged many hours years ago into finding info on these tractors, since I acquired one when I was about 15 or 16. I got some old machines and an outboard running for a man my dad worked with, for my time he gave me a 1055 Wheel Horse and a Simplicity Broadmoore 727. The Wheel Horse is all complete, I pulled it out of the shed it rested in for about 20 years, covered in dust, oil, grease, and full of nests. I was amazed at how much of a machine this thing was. Built the old- fashioned way. Bulletproof. Once I got it home I dove into it and received a bit of an education. Every day after school I would come home and degrease some more, clean it up, grease it, go over the whole thing. I rebuilt the carb and the fuel pump, figured out the starter/generator combo, filed the points and wow to hear that big Kohler K241 roar for the first time.... Riding around on it was the coolest thing. But there was work still needed to be done...

The motor ran pretty well, but I had a TON of blowby coming out the breather, oil was literally coming out of the cover. Rebuilt the cover, still the same deal. Total Rebuild was needed. I saved up some money and just before christmas that year I had the complete rebuild kit ordered off of ebay and at my house. I dont know who had owned this tractor before, but this motor had some time on her for sure. I honed the cylinder to spec (took a while...) and installed and rebuilt everything. That Kohler K241 AS screams now and with no oil consumption or blowby! And without shooting oil on the driveway! The mower deck was complete, but it was rotted in some spots. The cross shaft was also trashed due to someone brazing the wrong pulley to it cocked off the shaft, because the previous pulley had also trashed the shaft. Could not find one at the time so I had one machined for me at a now defunct machine shop. The owner really gave me a break when I told him what it was for, and the end product was better than a NOS replacement IMHO. The pulley under the motor pulley on the front of the deck had a lot of play but it works well, and the mower deck does function well and reliably.

That was 5 years ago. Things happened and I became very busy. The tractor became trapped in my dad's garage for about 3 years. I had pretty much forgotten about her with graduating High school and working 40 hours a week and college and all of that. Well, about a month ago on a day off i saw that the garage had become cleaner. I worked my machine out of the garage for the first time in 3 years. I bought a new battery, and she literally started right up. After 3 years. Dont you love doing something right the first time? She mowed the grass after I changed its oil. I also have found a new usage in moving my boat around tight spots in the yard, as well as other machines or trailers. I know I cant be parted with it, because of what it represents. I look very much forward to restoring it, but still keeping her working, nothing that tough should ever be a museum piece. What impressive machines these things are, and I really like seeing what you guys have and what your doing with them, as well as the great resource here. I will use it extensively. Thanks guys! Let me try and dig up some pics!

- Matt

TJ

Good story, and :omg:.

Bill

:omg:

bitten

Sounds like you have a great introduction to the Wheel Horse family. :omg:

HorseFixer

Nice story and :drool: stimulate or economy buy more tractors! This help-s in several ways.... You will spend so much money on restoration parts and paint to fuel a third world country :drool: good luck :omg:

Duff

Hi, Matt, and :drool: ! Glad to have you among us!

A good Horse is a friend for life!

Duff :omg:

WH1055

Hahahahahaha! Thanks guys! Yes that is all very true. And to think while she was sitting stuck in that garage I was considering dragging it out and selling it! It all came right back to me as soon as she came back to life and performed for me. I have a few pics in my other computer, I just need to find my flash drive so I can transfer them. I am really looking forward to fully restoring her. I see that they have not really reproduced any 1055 decals... I would like to order a full set! I had all of the info on it written down, serials and what year it was from, I think I even bought a owners manual on ebay years ago. Gotta start looking!

Duff

Matt, we've got a member who's a real artist at reproducing decals for our tractors. Go to the "Wheel Horse" section of this forum, then to the topic heading "Painting, Decals and Restoration". His name is Terry, and he's tops!

Duff :omg:

d180man

Hi :drool: :omg:

Just Piddling

Good story :omg:

gwgdog66

:omg: Matt :drool: