Sign in to follow this  
TLWheelHorse

Help! Maintenance on B-80

TLWheelHorse

Hey,

I just recently purchased my first wheel horse. Its a 1977 B-80 8 Speed. I am the 3rd Owner. Most of the parts are original, even the decals. Some parts were replaced that couldn't be saved.

It needs a few maintenance items, can you please help me find part #'s and places to purchase these items?

WH1.jpg

WH2.jpg

I need the belt that goes from the clutch to the deck (and around the front pulleys)

WH3.jpg

Does the clutch pad look like it needs to be replaced?

WH7.jpg

I need a new choke lever... Do they make an aftermarket one that will not break?

WH4.jpg

How does the brake shoe look? It doesnt stop that well and i cant get the parking brake to work

WH6.jpg

The belt to the right does not have alot of tension and slaps the guard when the clutch is let out (when the deck is disengaged).

WH8.jpg

The Screw on the bottom of the carb leaks gas? Is it supposed to, do i need to seal it up?

WH9.jpg

I have been using this site to help find parts... but i cant find some things.

https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?...es&xCaller=Toro

Thanks for your help

wallfish

:drool: That is a nice tractor you have there :omg:

You can try this site to look for parts and it will show you if they are available and gives a price.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/

I am by no means one of the experts but in my opinion

The clutch pad looks good to me but if it is slipping you can adjust the trunion right above it on the rod to tighten it up a little

I would keep the original choke lever and replace the cable if possible

You should clean up the brake shoe and drum and there are a few adjustments that can be made to tighten that up and get your parking brake working. A manual will help you out for most of your issues

Replace the drive belt and I see you need a new shifter boot. This will keep the water out of your tranny, which you should check to see if there is water in it now

Find out exactly where the carb is leaking from and replace any/all gaskets

TLWheelHorse
:omg: That is a nice tractor you have there

wallfish

You can find the belt from the deck drawing, not the tractor drawing.

If it's just the plastic handle that's broken you can find them on ebay or post a want ad here on RS. I don't think the levers usually travel the whole length of the slot but as long as the choke and throttle on the motor are traveling the full distance it shouldn't matter

There is a drain plug in the bottom of the tranny and if water is in there the gear oil will be a light milky color

You can join this free manual group to see if yours is there or go to the toro site

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wheelhorsetractormanuals/

There is a gasket/washer that should be under the hex head and maybe it needs to be replaced or tightened

TLWheelHorse

Great,

I joined the group.

I also have been on Toro's website trying to request a manual, but it wont except my serial # of 7159.

ID.jpg

Am i looking at it wrong?

wallfish

Type in none for S/N I just tried it and it works

can whlvr

Are you sure that is your serial,i would try 71-08k801 i think that might be the right # the toro master parts veiwer says it is a 1977 b-80

gwgdog66

:omg: I used the search by model and left off the 17564 and pulled it up.

71-08K801

If your mower deck is a 36 inch side or rear discharge the drive belt, coming from the engine to the deck, is Part number 102741

TLWheelHorse

Are you sure that is your serial,i would try 71-08k801 i think that might be the right # the toro master parts veiwer says it is a 1977 b-80

Yea... Thats the only # i can find for a serial #.

I have tried a few different combo's and nothing comes up.

I may call toro tomorrow and see what they say.

TLWheelHorse

:omg: I used the search by model and left off the 17564 and pulled it up.

71-08K801

If your mower deck is a 36 inch side or rear discharge the drive belt is Part number 102741

How did you come up with that part #? I would like to know for the future.

I will have to check the size, but its a rear discharge deck.

can whlvr

Just looking at the drive belt you need and it is #7473 and is the same belts on both of my mid 80s 8 speeds,just ordered one for 38 dollars from the dealer try to stay with oem belts their worth it,yhey last,and work the best.

Confused99

I believe the "7159" is the date code translated to '77 on the 159th day. I could be wrong though.

The "17564" is the serial number I believe

Jason

gwgdog66

I used the model number for your horse, pulled up the manual section, clicked on accessories, and looked up the model numbers for both the 36 inch decks ( 75-36MS02, 36" Side Discharge Mower, 1977) and found the belt part number that way.

TLWheelHorse

I believe the "7159" is the date code translated to '77 on the 159th day. I could be wrong though.

Jason

Thats what i was thinking too... But 17564 does not come up as a good serial # either.

Thanks for the help.

TLWheelHorse

THANKS!!

I see now. I did not know you could view the accessories like that.

I measured my Deck and it is 36". I also pieced my old belt back together and it is right on at 97" long.

I really appreciate the help.

gwgdog66

Go to the Wheel Horse tractor area. There is a pinned topic at the top called links there is a belt conversion tool to cross the toro part number over to a Gates belt part number. I've had very good luck running Gates belts they last just as long as the factory belt, and ar cheaper in many cases.

TLWheelHorse

Go to the Wheel Horse tractor area. There is a pinned topic at the top called links there is a belt conversion tool to cross the toro part number over to a Gates belt part number. I've had very good luck running Gates belts they last just as long as the factory belt, and ar cheaper in many cases.

That is so funny you said that!

I was on gates website as you wrote that, looking for a belt.

Gates says 102741 converts to 6638BR.

I found 84002970 Truflex V Belt from Gates

Napa offers these belts (Napa Part #'s) that should work.

NBH 6638BR - Gates

NBH 4L960W

SME 7078193

I am gonna keep looking, i am very good with part #'s. I may get the 84002970 as its only $12 online compared to $25 (102741) from toro. That way i can get a back up..

gwgdog66

:drool: :omg::drool: Cool Deal

TLWheelHorse

Well i finally had a chance to work on it...

Got the carb off and im gonna put a new gasket kit in it. The air cleaner was dirty, so i cleaned that. Also, i am gonna detail the air cleaner housing, and engine block as the previous owner did not.

I checked the trans fluid and it does look "light milky". So i need to replace that... Does anyone know what fliud to use? I am an amsoil dealer, so i will be using that oil in the tranny and engine. (I still have not found a service manual, even after joining all those groups.)

I am gonna order a new shifter boot, and a few misc items that i saw were worn or missing.

I found an adjustment on the brake, so i am gonna try that... but there isnt much adjustment left.

I also took control panel off and detailed that, all the paint was missing of the lettering. A paint pen and 30 mins does wonders!

Thanks for all the help guys! I wanna get this in tip top shape so it will last a long time.

TLWheelHorse

Is this spring supposed to be there?

WHSPRING.jpg

I saw this picture of an 8 speed trans and theirs is not the same???

2009-05-13101.jpg

WH854

You can find an owners manual at this group ypu will have to join to get them though.It is under files Tractor 1977 Bseries C series OM PDF

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wheelhorsetractormanuals2/ hope this will help you

Chas :omg:

TLWheelHorse

You can find an owners manual at this group ypu will have to join to get them though.It is under files Tractor 1977 Bseries C series OM PDF

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wheelhorsetractormanuals2/ hope this will help you

Chas :omg:

I found it... Thanks! Just need a little help lol.

mcwh1950

Is this spring supposed to be there?

WHSPRING.jpg

I saw this picture of an 8 speed trans and theirs is not the same???

2009-05-13101.jpg

i not for sure , but here are some picture of mine b-80 1977

100_2397.jpg

100_2396.jpg

100_2398.jpg

100_2400.jpg

100_2405.jpg

hope this help you.

Don1977

Jason

That won't work my 77 C-120 (71- 12k801- 3450) (7302). I bought my Wheel Horse in

April 1977.

I look up on the Toro Site and the #43 original clutch spring is no longer available. The spring belong on the other side from the clutch rod back to the hole in the transmission case. If it works I would not worry about it.

TLWheelHorse

hope this help you.

Thanks!!! That helped a lot.

I took my spring off... I think i just need to do some adjusting, i may need a tighter belt.