Sign in to follow this  
TLWheelHorse

Help! Maintenance on B-80

TLWheelHorse

What is this for? Mine looks like it was plugged for painting..

100_2400.jpg

TLWheelHorse

Does anyone have any tips to keep the hood latch closed? It comes undone after 2 minutes of mowing....

mcwh1950

Group: Members

Member No.: 1,517

What is this for? Mine looks like it was plugged for painting.

it's a lift cable tube for a cable to run through for rear attachment as the clevis hitch, slot hitch, and tiller.

picture of clevis hitch

hitchrearwheelhorse.jpg

slot hitch

oldtiller2.jpg

this picture was borrow from so where here on red square

TLWheelHorse

Update:

I ordered $150 worth of misc parts to do maintenance.

All New Belts

Misc Nuts/Bolts/Pins/Screws/Spacers

Misc Gaskets

Carb Rebuild Kit

New Filters (Pre-filter & Fuel Filter - not previously installed, Valve Cover Filter)

Choke/Throttle Knobs

Missing Spring from clutch assembly.

Hub Caps

Trans Boot

New Spark Plug

I am also going to take the head off, clean it, and put a new head gasket. After that, i am going to adjust the valves as both of these are supposed to be done @ 500 Hours. And im sure they were never done.

I ordered new engine and trans oil:

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/ase.aspx

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/svo.aspx

I got the engine cleaned and painted... it came out real nice. Now i have to paint all the small stuff to re-assemble it.

Can't wait till its finished.

TLWheelHorse

The engine was not painted what so ever by the previous owner. He painted everything else but the engine... so it kinda looked out of place.

engine1-1.jpg

engine2-1.jpg

engine3-1.jpg

He also did not paint this tray. It was real dirty and had some surface rust..

engine4.jpg

Duff

Nice work! Looks great!

Duff :thumbs2:

d180man

Hi nice tractor :thumbs2:

TLWheelHorse

Ok guys... i got this back together last summer, did all the maintenance and it would not start!! It killed the battery...

I got frustrated with it, and am just now trying to figure out the problem (i have TONS of other projects that i have been working on).

Adjusted Carb

New Points (adjusted to .02)

New Coil

New Condensor

New Spark PLug

It just turns over and nothing... I was reading that it might be the ignition switch??

mavfreak

Does it have spark and fuel

TLWheelHorse

It has fuel... im not sure on spark... I held the spark plug wire over the spark plug and didnt see anything.

Is there another way to test for spark?

Thanks for the help! I need to try to figure this out so i can get parts ordered asap.

TLWheelHorse

How do i test the ignition switch? I have volt meter....

Do i just turn the key on, or do i have to be trying to start the engine?

What wires do i test?

DSC06956.jpg

mavfreak

they sell spark testers at any parts store. or pull the plug and put the wire on the plug and hold plug against the head bolts and see if there is a spark. should be a nice crisp blue color. also make sure you hold the rubber boot of the plug wire if you hold the plug it'll be shocking.

TLWheelHorse

they sell spark testers at any parts store. or pull the plug and put the wire on the plug and hold plug against the head bolts and see if there is a spark. should be a nice crisp blue color. also make sure you hold the rubber boot of the plug wire if you hold the plug it'll be shocking.

There is no spark when i touched it against the head bolt....

mavfreak

You need to see if your getting power to the coil.I'm not sure which side should be the power side without going and looking at my tractor I can't really help much at this point. I have a commando 800 which I do believe is pretty much the same as the b 80. Other could chime in. Or you could do a search and see other posts that discuss this same topic. If I get a chance to steal away from daddy daycare I'll get some more info for you on how I would check the coil and the ignition. Do you have a multi meter?

Helmer

Thats a real nice B80 you have. Looks super.

I ran into a similar problem with my K241 after some clean up and new parts. I found I had power to the coil. Then I found that I had power to the points. Then I found that the "new in the Kohler bag" points would not conduct power when closed. :D Turns out these were hanging around in my Dad's garage since about 1978 or so. Must have been some surface corrosion that was non conductive on the points. So now I get power all the way except still no spark. I put on a brand new coil and condensor. Still no spark.. :omg: Now I check out the plug wire and find that the center core wire was broken at one of the terminals. Fixed that and now have enough spark to light the whole town...runs great!! :D Hope you solve your problem. Just have to eliminate each potential problem area one by one. Good luck!!

TLWheelHorse

See if this makes sense...

Power wire from battery goes to starter terminal... on that same terminal there is a power wire that goes to the amp gauge. On the other side of the amp gauge, there is a green wire that goes to the ignition switch... this would be the power to the switch right? Anyways, i have 12V at the green wire, but when i turn the switch, i dont have any volts on the wire that goes to the coil.

Bad switch?

Helmer

The wire from the points goes to the negative post on the coil. The condensor goes to the negative terminal also.

TLWheelHorse

The wire from the points goes to the negative post on the coil. The condensor goes to the negative terminal also.

Thanks, i got those hooked up right.

I think it might be the ignition switch... it worked fine before i tore it apart tho..

Helmer

Could be in your PTO switch or connection ar your ignition switch. Check any connections you removed during your cleanup. mke sure you have these plugged in well. A wiring diagram will help you quite a bit. If you need it , I can email one or try to post a copy of one here. Yes the power come thru that wire connected thru the ampmeter.

Helmer

You may want to unplug the connector at your PTO and ignition, clean the terminals with a fine wire brush or some fine emery and reconnect them. I've had to do that before and it solved my problem.

TLWheelHorse

Could be in your PTO switch or connection ar your ignition switch. Check any connections you removed during your cleanup. mke sure you have these plugged in well. A wiring diagram will help you quite a bit. If you need it , I can email one or try to post a copy of one here. Yes the power come thru that wire connected thru the ampmeter.

I have a wiring diagram (helped a lot).

I cleaned the terminals on the ignition switch, but not the PTO. I never disconnected it during clean up, but i will clean those too.

TLWheelHorse

Cleaned the PTO and still no spark!

KC9KAS

Very nice looking B-80! :omg:

No spark...have your wife hold the wire while.....oops, mine just came into the room. :D

rickv1957

Nice looking B80 there!,Rick

TLWheelHorse

Thanks guys! I would look even nicer mowing the lawn instead of buried in my garage since it doesn't run lol.

I will prob order a new ignition switch tomorrow and see if that works, im ready to use it!