Sign in to follow this  
illinilefttackle

HYDRAULIC RAM REBUILD

illinilefttackle

Ok Guys- I just noticed a small amount of fluid under the left foot board of my tractor :P -it seems to be coming from the lift ram-but its coming from somewhere on the top part of it-whole cylinder is wet-it's not much-the tractor has only used 1 pint of trans fluid (10w-30w oil) since I got it last spring.

Is rebuilding of this just a matter of replacing O rings? I have a bunch of Nitrile Rubber O rings. Any advice would be welcomed-AL :D

Rollerman

Al some of the rams are welded & need to be cut apart & rewelded to work with them.

Most are pretty easy to disassemble though by removeing the fittings & pulling it apart.

I've never rebuilt a leaker..some of mine drip a little. :D

But have had a few that were weak & I replaced the O rings on the piston with regularly available pieces from TSC.

Before you go through the trouble of pulling it apart...clean it up real good & make sure it's one that can be pulled apart.

Sparky

My C-125 auto had a leaky one as well but it was just a loose fitting going into the top of it. Kinda tough to get a wrench in there but I managed to get a bit of a turn on it and ....no more leak. Might want to check that out before you dismantle it.

Mike......

kj4kicks

Ditto. It sounds more likely that it's a hose and/or hose fitting. Take the footboard off so you can get a good look after it's cleaned up.

Whether it's a hose, or the cylinder, taking the board off will make life easier.

Rollerman

Al it always seems I have good intentions & someone else comes up with a simpler answer. :D

I think Eldon & Mike nailed it....let us know what you find?

nylyon

On my C-120, the fittings were loose as well. Lots of oil everywhere because of that.

T-Mo

The cylinder on my C141 was leaking also. I thought it was coming from the o-rings, but I should check the fittings first. Good advice, guys. :D

WheelHorse_of_course

And BTW, if you want to look for hydraulic leaks when the system is under pressure (e.g. running) never use your hand, use a piece of paper or cardboard.

Hydraulic fluid sprayed out under pressure can be injected under your skin and cause nasty medical problems.