GlenPettit

Bearing #1533

GlenPettit

The lads in Denmark need ten Transmission Bearings, #1533, for some of the WH transmissions that they are rebuilding, they can repair, find or make all the other internal parts, except this one.

Toro still has it for $72 each, and JacksSmallEngines has it for $64.37 each.

Can anyone recommend another source that may have them for less?

clintonnut

We usually just rebuild them. Take apart the bearing, clean the races and install new 1/4" balls from your local parts store.

Charlie

HorseFixer

Glen What Size Bearing Is It?

GlenPettit

Duke:

It's #1533, a very common 1970

Don1977

#1533 is this the bearing that's 1 1/2 " inside dia. 2 15 /32" outside dia. and 1/2" wide.

I just used a rule may not be a good measurement.

TT

#1533 is the infamous proprietary bearing that IS NOT available from any source other than Toro.

Maybe someone could contact a bearing manufacturer about producing a few thousand of them. :omg:

oldandred

#1533 is the infamous proprietary bearing that IS NOT available from any source other than Toro.

Maybe someone could contact a bearing manufacturer about producing a few thousand of them. :drool:

I tryed that very thing with our bearing styore here in Richmnod Va, the guy called me back in two days and said it would cost 10,000.00 to set up the machine to make them then another 20,000.00 to make 50,000 bearings

so I said go ahead some body will buy them some time he started laughing like crazy

but i bet they could be made over seas for one third they want to make them for in the good old USA

:omg::drool:

Ps I have four of them email me off line for info

• Like 1

Duff

OK, this is a probably long shot, but if someone with a micrometer could PM me the specs on this rare #1533 bearing, I've got a friend who runs the machine shop for a local engineering school (they've got the latest and greatest in computer operated milling machines with more turrets than a freakin' castle!), and another buddy who works in a bearing plant for Timken Aerospace. Between them maybe, just maybe, we could get something made that would be up to spec. I doubt we'd get "thousands" of them, but even a few from time to time might benefit folks. If the engineering school is willing to make some, they might do it just for the cost of material and use the fab as a teaching tool. No promises, but I'm willing to do the leg work if there's a chance it would help guys out..... :drool:

Duff :omg:

GlenPettit

For the members looking into the bearing source, would this information help?

From "Geartooth"

"I am a new member on Redsquare. Haven't posted yet. Saw the post on the big ball bearing in the trans. I had one of mine apart a few days ago, and this is what it said on the outer race. Japan Pacamor S875B. This is on a C105 8 speed 1981. 1-1/8" axle. Hope it helps. Perry Vanderveen. I'm near Alto ,MI"

gwest_ca

It appears Wheel Horse also needed 1533 bearings in 1984 and substituted a needle bearing, inner race and thrust washer to continue production. This is explained in service bulletin 369. The part numbers are not listed nor can they be found in the ipl's. The bore in the case was deeper to accept the thrust washer and a spacer was available if it became necessary to replace the needle bearing with the 1533 ball bearing.

Earlier they did use a needle bearing 8048 listed as 1/2"x2-1/8"x2-1/2" in other transmissions with 8052 inner race but can not find where a thrust washer was used with them. Perhaps it is not necessary. The inner race is listed as still available for $129.45 but seems to me one could have an inner race made a lot cheaper than a ball bearing if the needle bearing could be sourced for a reasonable cost.

Garry

buckrancher

#1533 bearing is 1.500 ID X 2.500 OD X .500 wide :omg:

brianf

Yep as I guessed, the differential is toast, although it's far worse than I imagined. Picture here: http://yfrog.com/mrl44cxj

Also both roller axle bearings are destroyed, on one side the race is even gone. I did find someone offering a diff and/or a donor transmission. If I can get the rollers, I may just buy the diff, otherwise I guess I'll be looking at a new unit.

KB9LOR

The lads in Denmark need ten Transmission Bearings, #1533, for some of the WH transmissions that they are rebuilding, they can repair, find or make all the other internal parts, except this one.

Toro still has it for $72 each, and JacksSmallEngines has it for $64.37 each.

Can anyone recommend another source that may have them for less?

Sure hope we can find some of these reasonable... maybe we should find out who is making them today and try buying direct?

Buzz

Soooo...... Did anyone ever find a source other than Toro for these gold-plated bearings? They sure are proud of them. :thumbs:

• Like 1

myron in ct

My unidrive bearing (NICE 7439 )

is dia. 1.500 os dia 2.500 and width .500

Called all the bearing co. in area with no luck .

Myron in ct.

Duff

I've got my buddy who works at Timken Aerospace doing some sleuthing for us........ :thumbs:

Duff :thumbs:

ChevelleSSLS6

I've got my buddy who works at Timken Aerospace doing some sleuthing for us........ :thumbs:

Duff :drool:

Go Duff! Ditto with the engineering/machinist student way! :thumbs::thumbs: :thumbs:

Duff

Let's just say within the past hour I got a solid lead from an anonymous source!

(smiley with fingers crossed!)

Duff :thumbs: :thumbs:

SousaKerry

Hey any word on that tip yet I could really use two of these bearings. I just stripped down my Tranny for rebuild and then went looking for bearings only to find out the gold plated Toro price :wh:

BTW ordered all the other bearings and seals for less then $50 from Motion Industries of coarse that is the Industry pricing not the list. (Helps to work for a large OEM company.) :thumbs:

racinfool40

Still nothing I'm aware of :wh: Darn Shame!!!!!I contacted NICE about theses and didn't get anywhere.. You'd think they are TOP-Secret or something!!! I've found some that are close but are to wide!!!! :thumbs:

tunahead72

Not to complicate the issue, and trust me I know next to NOTHING about these things :wh: , but...

There's another ball bearing #111199 that's specified in the parts/service manual for my '86 310-8 (and some other 300 & 400 series models, maybe others as well), to be used instead of #1533. It's a 40 mm ID, not the 1-1/2" ID in the #1533.

Prices for the #111199 are substantially lower than those for the #1533 -- still not cheap, but $60 vs. $90 from Toro, about 20% less from PartsTree or Jack's.

Any chance the two are interchangeable?

And if not, is it maybe possible that #111199 could be included in whatever discussions are going on behind the scenes here? I know I'll appreciate it at some point, maybe this coming fall. :thumbs:

Just a thought.

WH854

P/N 111199 is used in auto transmission (Eaton) :thumbs:

Chas

Electro12WH

I have had people tellme before to just take the bearing apart and instal 1/2" ball bearings. I have no idea how to take one apart and put it back together.

Save Old Iron

specialty bearings can be rebuilt by "bearing rebuilders"

BUT

I know from experience it requires MUCH MUCH more than just replacing the ball bearings. Replacing the balls may make the tractor your trying to sell roll under its own power onto the bed of the buyer's trailer, and maybe ( seller hopes) even last a few months more, but if the race or carrier is damaged, ball replacement is not going to make for a long lasting repair.

SousaKerry

Well I figured out how to take mine apart, I cleaned up the races with scotchbrite and purchased 24 1/4 chrome ball bearings. put them back together (after much cursing) and they are a little noisy but much better then they were. With any luck they will last another 46 years :thumbs:

The biggest hurdle with this is getting the shields back in place. If you bend them getting them out, and hammer them back into shape the metal stretches and they no longer fit. So then ya gotta start grinding and fitting. I finally got mine back in with the help of a vise hammer and screwdriver(cussing helps lubricate them) they are ugly as hell but they do turn nice.

Any body here running synthetic gear lube in these tranny's?