Sign in to follow this  
dgjks6

More 42 inch deck questions

dgjks6

So I got this 42 inch deck I am trying to get in working order. Thanks to a friend here I got all of the pieces I needed. Set the deck on the garage floor, and the blades are below the ends of the deck.

Is this normal? So I have the wrong spindles? Did someone re weld the adjustment bar at the wrong angle?

The blades are about an inch off the concrete when the deck is not attached.

100_3424.jpg

100_3425.jpg

Greg

C-Series14

On my 48" deck, my spindle nuts are even with the side of the deck, but what is strange is your gauge wheels. With mine in the full up position like your picture, my gauge wheel arm is pointed down, yours is level. In the lowest position, the selector arm towards the deck, my gauge wheel arm is level. So the gauge wheel arm is at about a 45 degree angle to the selector arm, yours is close to 90 degrees. Maybe the 42" deck and the 48" deck are different?

dgjks6

I have a feeling it was broken off at some point and re welded.

dgjks6

When I go to the toro site and enter the deck number 0542ms05 - I get diagrams for a 42 rear discharge and 48 side discharge. The only 42 side discharge diagram is for the belt and mule drive.

Does this mean the spindles for the 42 rear discharge are the same as the 42 side discharge?

Sparky

How bent up is this deck? In the first pic with the spindle and blade you can see the spindle in the background and seems to not line up with the other one at all. Is the shell caved in and causing the blades to appear lower?

Mike........

C-Series14

I noticed that too. My 48" deck is completely flat across the top, this one looks like it has an identation... :omg:

dgjks6

The deck is slightly bent by the middle spindle - causing the effect you see. That explains the middle spindle being bent, but the bottoms of the spindle/blades are an inch below the rim. The deck is actually pretty flat. I assume if it was that bent in I would be able to see it.

After I get it semi running right I am going to take it to the tractor shop and have them flatten it out. There is also a dent in the front. I just want to make sure it is worth putting money in the deck.

mcwh1950
When I go to the toro site and enter the deck number 0542ms05 - I get diagrams for a 42 rear discharge and 48 side discharge.

Jedakiego

My deck is EXACTLY the same, 42 inch side discharge, 3 blades, blades about 1 inch below the deck, deck recesses where the spindles mount and height wheels and adjusting arm angles.

I believe this is why my deck cuts the way it cuts. It leaves a trail of cut grass in the center of the cut area. When I drive on the driveway with the deck running and clippings on the drive the air from the blades seems to push the clippings down in the center of the deck at the back of the blade.

Jedakiego

I have been looking at the issue with the deck today and have a few options. My deck has already been worked on as the center spindle has had material welded on top of the deck causing the center pulley to be about 1/8 inch above the others so they spaced the others up. I could make a spacer for the height adjuster to make the wheels move farther down to raise the deck which on the highest setting is only about 1.5 inches now.

I was considering three different options.

A. cutting the spindle mounting surfaces out and raising them to get the blades into the area of the deck. This would increase the vacuum of the deck and should improve the cut. BUT I do not like the thought of cutting up the deck.

B. Adding material to the center of the deck basically dropping the bottom edge of the deck but it goes back to the problem of cutting the deck.

C. Getting a deck off of a MTD and using the deck chassis from a Wheelhorse deck.

Option C is the best idea as I am not cutting up anything Wheelhorse. I have 2 now and I have wanted one ever sense I was a kid watching them push racecars around at the Nascar and Indy races. The last thing I want to do is cut one up, Heck I have about 40 hours in the 42 rear discharge deck for my 312-8 trying to get it back something that can be used.

I more than likley will have to step up the RPM of the deck with an intermediate pulley as the MTD decks use a large drive pulley on the engine. This could easily be done and make it a front mounted deck at the same time to get under trees better. If I do this I am going to go to a larger deck.

Any opinions or opinions would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!! If anyone has done this already feel free to pass on any info.

Thank You!