Sign in to follow this  
Raider12

Mower deck issues?

Raider12

I have a a 1970 Raider 12 with a 42" deck. The problem Im running into is when I am mowing and make a turn, there is a stirp of grass left uncut. It seems as though the strip is left between the right out board blade and the center blade! The blades appeared to be the same lenght as the originals? This is not something that just started, Iv just put up with to long. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Denver

Just Piddling

Just turning in one direction, or both?

TJ

My 310 does the same thing. I think on sharp turns, the deck doesn't have time to pull the grass up to cut it. I try to avoid sharp turns.

Raider12

Just turning in one direction, or both?

I only notice it when mowing in a counter clock direction. So I am making left hand turns. I just never mow the opposite due to blowing the cut grass back onto the un-cut grass! :omg:

gwgdog66

I was having this problem, until I got mine on a level garage floor, a re-leveled it the deck. Doing that and mowing only in first gear has just about eleminated the problem. The only time it happens now is making a turn in second gear or cutting real high real thick grass.

WheelHorse_of_course

Hi Denver,

One more tip. Most people don't realize that mower manufacturers recommend mowing with the throttle all the way up (Wide Open Throttle).

If you are not doing so, this just might make the difference. Or it may be a factor combined with some of the other ideas mentioned above.

Good luck

:omg:

travisg84

Mine has always made strips in the turns, I just mow straight lines now as much as I can then if I do have to make a turn I'll come back for another pass about 6 or 8in in and that seems to clean it up.

Buzz

You can download a "Quality of Cut" manual from Toro that tells you how to set up your deck, level it and a lot of other tips. They cover your stripping problem in section 5 under streaking. Yep, sharp turns can cause it. If you want to down load a copy go here: https://lookup3.toro.com/request/request.cfm

Enter model number 21-10K801 and "none" for the serial number. I used that model number because it takes you directly to the manual.

WheelHorse_of_course

Is this a 2-blade or a 3-blade deck?

On a modern (un-timed) 2-blade deck it is somewhat unavoidable, though it will be noticeably worse in one direction.

:omg:

Raider12

One more tip. Most people don't realize that mower manufacturers recommend mowing with the throttle all the way up (Wide Open Throttle).

When I mow the lawn, I normaly run the throttle about 75% to 80% and in second gear. I givces me a nice cut with the exception of this problem in the corners. Now if my wife mowes the lawn, she would run the same amount of throttle but she cuts in first gear. (trying to get out other house work) But it will still leave this littel strip of grass in the corners. This tractor has a 42" 3 blade deck. I purchased this deck brand about 8 years ago or so.

I appreciate everyones input! :omg:

Wilsonrl48747

Just thought it was worth mentioning, make sure you have your blades sharp. I had the same problem, went through hours of checking the deck level, adjusting things and I still got the higher corners. Since the end of the blades do most of the cutting, if they are dull, you won't get a nice cut, especially on the corners. I used to sharpen my own blades, but I just can't seem to get it right, so I get them sharpened at the local mower place for $3 each, and it takes care of a lot of striping problems and HELPS with the corner issue. Gowing slower helps too, but I usually just do an extra pass at each end of the yard to clean up the stray grass.

hounddoghundzsa

Not sure if they make them for your tractor or not, but check out Hi-Lift blades/ They will give you a far more superior cut than any other blade, Gator blades included.

nylyon

I think that all the 42" decks will leave that strip of grass, just the geometry of the cutting deck. As for the throttle, I would use 100% all the time, but it's not as bad if you are using a manual trans unit. If you have a hydro, you really should use 100% throttle as this will increase the life of the hydro and it's what is recommended by Wheel Horse as well.

bo dawg

I also noticed by keeping the deck clean, at least every other mow, makes a difference in the cut. When mine starts leaving lines or can see different levels of cuts between the blades, I just scrape it clean, then back to a better cut and more even.

:thumbs2:

Red Iron

May I chime in? Most people wonder why we get that strip of

grass as we turn. Blades are not "in-line" straight across the deck.

The position of blade centers are set so blades can not hit each

other, but yet overlap when mowing straight. Hard to explain the

science of circles, but take 3 cans (any can of same size), Set the cans

so you have a visual patteren of your blade position. Now walk around

those 3 cans and see if you can see through.

But yes, sharp blades help, so do the "fins" that create the "lift" .

Older decks had antiscalp rails , sometimes they would hold the grass

down and not cut it as you turn.

Always room for improvement?? :thumbs2: !