dhabicht1

procedure to adjust hydro on 520-H

dhabicht1

does anyone know the correct procedure to adjust the hydro linkage/brake linkage for this tractor? I have adjusted the brake band according to the manual fully compressed bring then back off 1/2 turn but now when I step on the brake it wants to creep in reverse.

Just Piddling

Since no one has responded, I'll take a stab at it.

When you engage the brakes, the travel control is locked in neutral. There is a neutral adjustment under the seat in the form of a cam bolt. Jack up the rear, loosen lock bolt and slowly adjust cam.

You may also have to adjust the linkage from the lever to the plate on the hydro.

Do a search for "adjust 520-H" and see what comes up. I know the subject has been discussed several times. Remember to set the search date range to "any date".

Good Luck

dhabicht1

thanks Chris your a lifesaver

04fxdwgi

does anyone know the correct procedure to adjust the hydro linkage/brake linkage for this tractor? I have adjusted the brake band according to the manual fully compressed bring then back off 1/2 turn but now when I step on the brake it wants to creep in reverse.

I have the Eaton manual for the 1100 if you want it. Has everything in it.

Let me know your e-mail and I'll send it to you.

Bill Curtis

dhabicht1

I would love to have it, do you need to snail mail or is it in electronic format?

kpinnc

Your manual is available for download at Toro.com. The adjustment procedure is in it.

Kevin

04fxdwgi

I would love to have it, do you need to snail mail or is it in electronic format?

Just need an e-mail address and I'll send it electronically

tomshorse4keeps
On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2009 at 5:58 AM, 04fxdwgi said:

I have the Eaton manual for the 1100 if you want it. Has everything in it.

Let me know your e-mail and I'll send it to you.

Bill Curtis

Hello Mr. Bill Curtis, I just joined the forum and saw your post on 5/17/2009 regarding adjusting the transmission in a 520H, mine is a 1997, if the Eaton manual you have applies to my 520H, I would appreciate it if you could send it to me. Mine doesn't have reverse, it just kept getting more and more hard, to engage reverse, until it stopped going in reverse at all.  My e-mail is trspot1969@gmail.com   Thanks in advance,  Tom

WNYPCRepair
14 minutes ago, tomshorse4keeps said:

Hello Mr. Bill Curtis, I just joined the forum and saw your post on 5/17/2009 regarding adjusting the transmission in a 520H, mine is a 1997, if the Eaton manual you have applies to my 520H, I would appreciate it if you could send it to me. Mine doesn't have reverse, it just kept getting more and more hard, to engage reverse, until it stopped going in reverse at all.  My e-mail is trspot1969@gmail.com   Thanks in advance,  Tom

As a quick test, lift the brake with your left foot while shifting into reverse. If it works easily with the brake lifted, your brake return spring is broken, disconnected, or missing entirely. Also check the cam plate. Watch how it operates when you shift and see if something is binding

tomshorse4keeps
37 minutes ago, WNYPCRepair said:

As a quick test, lift the brake with your left foot while shifting into reverse. If it works easily with the brake lifted, your brake return spring is broken, disconnected, or missing entirely. Also check the cam plate. Watch how it operates when you shift and see if something is binding

Hi Brian, Thanks for the reply, something is definitely binding, the rod doesn't travel all the way, into the cam plate "slot", it gets stuck, in the middle, I am trying to figure out what needs to be adjusted, I saw some other posts, where others tried to adjust "something" and lost the forward gear or the brake, I don't want to make it worse! Others said to jack up back wheels and then adjust while it's running Mine has a seat switch, it won't run unless your seated. obviously you can't adjust anything while your seated on it, I don't know how to bypass the switch.   Tom

WNYPCRepair

Did you try lifting the brake pedal? If the brake isn't returning to fully lifted, you can't shift. I had the same problem until I accidentally figured that out. popped a spring on the brake and it worked perfectly

cleat

Make sure there is no grass or other debris that could be jamming up the cam.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

If the pto is OFF the engine should run without being in the seat.

Garry

WVHillbilly520H

Years ago my shift linkage turn buckle rod ends behind the dash broke and it wouldn't "shift" so I would pull all the access panels off at the dash and tunnel and check all the rod ends and linkages ,plus I replaced the ball style rod end with a "tie rod" style end but the picture I attached shows my new to me 520 and the shift linkage under the column, Jeff.

IMAG2015.jpg

IMAG2016.jpg

IMAG2034.jpg

IMAG2067.jpg

IMAG2022.jpg