Sign in to follow this  
plowmaster

just picked up an A-100

plowmaster

and now i have a few questions on this machine. its got some minor issues and i proly paid too much for it, but it looks like it may have some cosmetic interchangability with my charger 12, and i needed a mower quick. i liked the fact the engine started right up everytime and was real clean underneath. the deck was completley rebuilt last year for a bit over 300 bucks, sound right?

how similar are these stamped machines compared to, say a regular stamped MTD type mower? what generic models of tractors do they share parts with? i thought it was cool that i could probably put any rear out of another cheap tractor in it, or larger vertical shaft engines.

theres an issue with the "clutch". when depressed, i guess you could say it dosent disengage completley, and going from second to third ill grind the gearbox. although the rear is considerably heavier than the cheaper rears found on newer tractors, i dont think i should be slamming it into gear. is this an easy pulley adjustment from the underside? will i need to remove the deck to make the adjustment?

brakes, or lack thereof. they look like a pain to change. any advice there would be greatly appreciated.

any other precautions i should take with this tractor? tryin to get information on this thing is like pulling teeth. i guess there werent many made, or probably just scrapped?

thanks in advance for any and all help. this site is a great wheel horse resource with some very helpfull and knowledgeable folks that are willing to share their information. i have not found too much on the A-100 after many different searches. i would like to know what year the tractor is and if the engine is original.

regards,

jon.

plowmaster

would some pictures help?

this afternoon im going to tear it apart, didnt really want to but i guess its the only way i can learn how to repair it myself, ive looked all over the internet and havent found much information at all, oh well.

ill be sure to post what i find so that others with the same tractor can easily find some help.

plowmaster

this must be the rarest tractor in the world, as there isnt a sole on a wheel horse board that knows a darn thing about them.

would posting pictures be a waste of time as i would be the only one to need the aformentioned information?

C-Series14

This being Mother's Day, there are probably not alot of folks on here, specifically those who know about the A Series. All I know is they are small! There is another post down below about an A-100 with 1 response. Give it some time...someone will have a reply. :omg:

Oh, and they were made in 1976-1977...That might be why there is not much info on them!

plowmaster

im gunna go out and get some photographs. the black on white decals on it make it look to be from the early eighties. im gunna have to dig for a serial number.

thanks for the reply.

Buzz

the black on white decals on it make it look to be from the early eighties.

Nope. They were only made in 1976 (model # 62-10BP01) and 1977 (model # 72-10BP01). They are lawn tractors not garden tractors so they aren't quite as popular. If you're going to use it to cut grass and tow a cart they are good little tractors. If you go to Toro's site and enter your model number you can get a parts breakdown, the tractors specs., and what attachments were available for it.

Go here: https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro and enter your model number. We also have a manual available in the second manuals group. You have to join to access the files. Quick and easy. Here's the link:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wheelhorsetractormanuals2/

Good luck.

Ohio_Tractor_Nut

Plowmaster ... I just finished completely restoring a 1976 A-100. It was my first Wheel Horse project, so I went completely overboard with it. I also have one more A-100 and two A-90's that I will be combining into one more restore. Then I will be moving up to a true garden tractor.

Anyway, to answer some of your questions, although the A-series is a true lawn mower, they can perform light-duty tasks other than just mowing. One of mine came with a 36" factory snow blade for the vertical engine (A series). It is also supposed to be ok to pull a 24" or 36" lawn roller with them. This tractor chassis is made from 3/16" sheet steel which is pretty heavy. This is much stronger than todays (Home Depot) units. They are truely "stamped" from gauge steel that is easily bent or worn. You would not have a problem swapping out the engine for another vert, but I would be hesitant of the tranny. Any reputable Toro dealer should have an old tear down unit on the shelf somewhere. The tranny was manufactured by Peerless and is supposed to be maintenance free.

The clutch depression issue may be due to a linkage that is out of adjustment or bent. This can be adjusted under the chassis, but the deck will most-likely have to be removed. When you look underneith you will see they use many linkages on these machines. Something doesn't sound right though - you grind gears going from second to third? Are you shifting this thing like a car? If so, there is no need to do this and that will solve your problem. Otherwise, if this was a clutch depression issue, I would think you would always grind the gears (i.e. Neutral to first, N to 2nd, N to 3rd, N to reverse). It almost sounds like an internal alighnment issue or a shift fork issue. I would suggest though - if at all possible, do not open the tranny case unless it is absolutely necessary. Just shift the machine lightly, if it does not want to go into gear, let up on the clutch very lightly while keeping tension on the shifter. It should shift right in easily without grinding. You can use the clutch to align the gears so it shifts smoother.

February2009008.jpg

The brakes are easy to repair. If you remove the two bolts in the picture that hold the cam in place, and unhook the linkage from the brake pedal to the brake cam arm, the brake rotor slides right off of its shaft. the rotor is keyed to this shaft with a square key. the brake pads are located between the cam and the rotor and between the rotor and the transmission case. I am sure the replacement pads are readily available.

Post any other questions ... I will try to answer them.

:omg:

daveoman1966

Recently brought home an A-100 rolling chassis (no engine) but good trans and other parts. I also have a dozer blade for this tractor or the A-90. Wheels, tires, sheet metal, wiring, pedals, rods / linkages, etc.

my email is: daveoman@windstream.net

plowmaster

thanks for all the replies, very good helpful information here. im looking all over the tractor and cant find the serial numbers, but im sure theyre right under my nose. i also could not find anywere to tighten the clutch, i get under there and it seems to loosen the belt nicely when depressed, so i just take the idle down and baby it into gear and she does fine. i do wish the gears were a little slower though, first for rough lawns and second for regular mowing, third for travel. they are all a bit fast for all of those except travel, witch is too slow.

thanks again for the help and resources.