Sign in to follow this  
Astrolite

8 spd Oil Quantity

Astrolite

I just recently changed the transmission oil in my C-100 8 spd. The service manual says it takes 2 qts, the dipstick shows it slightly over full at 1 1/2 qts. Another member thought that I needed to use the tractor a bit and the level would drop requiring the additional 1/2 qt to top it off. I cut grass for an hour last evening, let the tractor sit overnight and then checked it again today. It's still showing the same level, slightly overfull.

Is anyone else aware of this discrepency between the service manual and the dipstick reading? Should I put in the extra 1/2 qt and not worry about the dipstick? I'd really hate to run the transmission low on oil and screw up those outer axle needle bearings. Had to rebuild this trans when I got the tractor because of thoses bearings.

Thanks in advance.

kpinnc

The tractor's original owner may have swapped dipsticks/ filler tubes on you. They are easily broken. The other possibility would be that you didn't get all of the old oil out during the change.

At any rate, I would stick with the 2 quart recommendation. This is the normal amount on an 8 speed tractor so you can't go wrong.

Kevin

MaineDad

Unless you can raise the front end of the tractor high enough to get all of the gear oil out, you'll never be able to actually put 2 new quarts of oil in the tranny. I would go with what the dipstick reads.

oldandred

Im with the main dad on that also Ive got and had a few and never could get the two in even with the front raised and oil drained out so so I just add alittle and check some times the books arent correct

gwgdog66

I just recently changed the transmission oil in my C-100 8 spd. The service manual says it takes 2 qts, the dipstick shows it slightly over full at 1 1/2 qts. Another member thought that I needed to use the tractor a bit and the level would drop requiring the additional 1/2 qt to top it off. I cut grass for an hour last evening, let the tractor sit overnight and then checked it again today. It's still showing the same level, slightly overfull.

Is anyone else aware of this discrepency between the service manual and the dipstick reading? Should I put in the extra 1/2 qt and not worry about the dipstick? I'd really hate to run the transmission low on oil and screw up those outer axle needle bearings. Had to rebuild this trans when I got the tractor because of thoses bearings.

Thanks in advance.

Yea Astrolite that was me. When I drained mine I had the front end up on ramps.

When I ran mine I had to mow up; down & sideways on some steep slopes and ditches. I also used low range quite a bit. My oil level did drop when I checked it the next day. I got the extra 1/2 qt called for into it.

If your oil level is still showing full or slightly over after mowing an hour, I would leave the level it as is. Just keep checking it.

Astrolite

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the input. I'm leaning toward the idea I didn't get all the oil out. I didn't raise the front end when I drained it. So I think I'll just leave it where it is and keep an eye on it.