Sign in to follow this  
Akimavok

GT-14 gear problem

Akimavok

Hello!

I am new here and I am from Sweden, so I will do my best to follow the rules and custom lines. Please correct me in my language if you want to, that will help me to learn.

I have just bought a GT-14, according to the list in this link>>> http://cnr12533.tripod.com/ it is made in 1972. I read somewhere else that the GT-14 only was made 1969 and 1970 so I can

oldandred

Frist off :omg: well they were made from 1969-1973 any way check the axle keys sounds like the set screw is lose or the key on the out put shaft on the side of the tranny it also may be lose or missing

clintonnut

Someone else could give you more info but I know there is a screw to adjust the speed. It adjusts the foward and rear speed depending the way you turn the screw.

Charlie

refracman

:omg: WOW fisrt GT Ive heard of across the pond!

Franz

It sounds like the forward control spring has failed. If you use this link and download the trans manual you will want to follow the the " hydro gear " section instructions. It starts on page 54.

Keep us updated and good luck

https://homeownersolutions.toro.com/portal/...nualsResultPage

Akimavok

Hello everybody and thank you for your response.

refracman.

I will take my GT-14 apart and see what I can find. I cant find that forward control spring that you are mentioning, oldandred. I am looking in the helpful document that you linked to, but I can not find a spring called forward control spring in the exploded view. Could you please take a look on the exploded view and maybe you could see what number it is marked with and tell me?

oldandred.

I am reading in all my dictionarys, but the only explanation I get for the word "key" is that little thing that can open locks :omg:

I beg you to explain a bit more to me about your suggestion "check the axle keys sounds like the set screw is lose or the key on the out put shaft on the side of the tranny it also may be lose or missing" Another word that I dont understand is "tranny", please explain it to me.

charliesd250.

The problem is not really to adjust the speed. It is something wrong with the mechanic parts.

Thank you again, I will get back to you for an update later!

pfrederi

In this case "Key" refers to a piece of steel used to lock together a hub and an axle shaft (or a gear and a shaft) Different shape "Keys" have different names like "Woodruff Keys"

In your case the key is a piece of steel .25" wide, .25 inch high and about 2.5 inches long. One half fits in a groove on the axle the other in a groove in the hub. The set screw puts pressure on the Key locking everything together. if teh key has sheared off or is missing the axle can turn but the hub will not....

Duff

Franz, the word "tranny" in English is a shortened form of the word "transmission". Some would call it a "slang term", but anyone who has worked on vehicles for any length of time uses the word often. Most dictionaries do not list slang terms, so I'm not surprised if you could not find it.

"Slang" is the changing of a word or phrase in a language to reflect local usage. In English, some slang terms have different meanings in different parts of our own country. I read somewhere that English is the hardest language to learn...I believe it!

Hope this helps!

Duff :omg:

refracman

Franz, sorry about that.

Try this link, it should take you directly to the corrct manual. https://lookup3.toro.com/classes/doGetPub/?pubid=6899

It will bring up a PDF of the complete manual for your Hydro Gear pump and transmission.

On page 54 the trouble shooting section begins and will give you step by step instrucions on how to proceed.

On the parts diagram parts # 73 and 74 are the spings which to examine. There are 2 sets of these spings, one set is reverse and the other forward. The reverse set is shown in the drawing, the forward set is on the oppisite side of the pump. You will need a 1 3/16" wrench to remove the cap to expose these springs.

It is common for part # 73 to fail in these transmissions and cause it act in this manner.

Hope this helps

oldandred

Just maybe I should more correct but then again a manual would help a lot

In yahoo there a group that one can down load a manual FREE

refracman

The manual from toro is free also,

but it is evidently beyond me to make it work or to explain it correctly. :omg:

Akimavok

Hello again!

I would like to thank you all, for your responses.

Refracman, your suggestion led me to the problem. Part 73 was broken and I got a new one and now it is working perfectly fine.

tophatbufflo

Would the same apply to a 14 Auto with the same tranny? :notworthy: Thanks

tophatbufflo

Akimavok-Thanks for how you phrased your question it sounds like a problem I'm having so I'm going to try what you have done. :notworthy:

can whlvr

in my c160auto the plastic plate was broken and my tractor did this also,would only move in reverse,the plate is located under the panel between your legs ,its a common wear out item

Akimavok

in my c160auto the plastic plate was broken and my tractor did this also,would only move in reverse,the plate is located under the panel between your legs ,its a common wear out item

The plastic plate on my tractor is also pretty worned, but is still working. I am thinking of fix it with some Plastic Padding or maybe have a new one made for me in aluminium.

There is no chance I can get original parts for a Wheel Horse here in Sweden. Motors and knifes & straps (probably not the correct word) for the lawnmower is the only things to buy here. And of course tires.

Duff

straps (probably not the correct word) for the lawnmower is the only things to buy here

Hi, Franz!

Great to hear from you again! :notworthy:

I think our word over here for "straps" is "belts". Interesting, because in the early days of the Industrial Revolution drive belts in factories were actually large leather straps sewn end to end.

Duff :thumbs:

can whlvr

wont the toro store ship to you,the part is only 8.00 canadian,and very light,worth a look at www.shoptoro.com

can whlvr

sorry i just looked and they wont ship to canada either,only in the us,but maybe someone knows of a supplier that will ship smaller parts.