Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Question about deck spindles

Bill

Does any one know if the deck Spindle shafts are harden or not???

kajamo240

I do not think so. I know that they were at one point but now they are made really poorly. Had to replace 2 spindles in the last 2 years... :omg:

hodge

I think the old ones are.

Bill

Ok thanx..... so it the new ones I'm having made could be harden then without any problems right??

linen beige

Heat treating MAY cause some distortion. Make sure the new ones are rechecked and have them ground back to spec if needed.

BTW, I love the siggy! Do you know what Elvis would be doing if he were alive right now?.............

He'd be clawing the inside of his casket.

Bill

Heat treating MAY cause some distortion. Make sure the new ones are rechecked and have them ground back to spec if needed.

BTW, I love the siggy! Do you know what Elvis would be doing if he were alive right now?.............

He'd be clawing the inside of his casket.

:omg: love it..... and thanks for the info on the spindle......

Coadster32

A little five second test will tell you. Take a good file and run the corner across the spindle. If it cuts, it's not hard. If it screetches over the surface, it is. Good luck. BTW- I still have a line on that sulkie for you.

WHC-125

Bill, I have will have them done the first day I go back to shop(They will take me about 15 minutes each)

Chris, I will try that whe I bring them to school.

Bill

A little five second test will tell you. Take a good file and run the corner across the spindle. If it cuts, it's not hard. If it screetches over the surface, it is. Good luck. BTW- I still have a line on that sulkie for you.

ok thanx Chris.. and I pmed u about the suklie .... also your new Student saw what you wrote about the harding of the spindles.... next question is once 125 gets done making then can you cut a keyway in them for me with out me having to take out a loan on the house?????? lol

Bill

Bill, I have will have them done the first day I go back to shop(They will take me about 15 minutes each)

Chris, I will try that whe I bring them to school.

Did you miss that day in class when they taught you how to tell if its hard or not?????? :omg:

Bill

I think we need a machinist section now.. :omg: