Sign in to follow this  
Workin_Horses

Hydaulics Help - C-160

Workin_Horses

I just picked up a 1976 C-160(61-16KS02) and it has a leak in one of the hydraulics fittings in the hydraulic lift system. The fitting that is leaking is on the end of the hose that goes to the bottom end of the hydraulic ram, then end opposite the end of where the piston comes out to raise and lower the lift arm.

I don't have a manual for the tractor so I have questions. How do I go about removing the hydraulic fluid from the system and the refilling it once I get the hose fitting fixed? What type of fluid should I use? Is there anything else I should be aware while working on the system?

Thanks for your Help

jerrell

Justin i think you will have to buy a new hose, i have found that if the hose is leaking between the metal fittings the flared part and the nut to tighten the hose to the cynlinder(ms) it is hard to repair ,, :omg: it may be repaired by taking it to a hydraulic shop.?????? they may be able to recrimp the fittings ..

there is a lot of the hoses on ebay, i have a c175 and got a set for 10.00,

as for the fluid is it a sunstrand or eaton auto, i think the eatons all use oil not ATF, someone will jump in here and give specifics on this, my 175 has an eaton and uses 10-30 oil...

on refilling(assumeing this is an eaton) remove the plug at the bottom of the tranny and drain the oil ,(helps to remove the dip stick and have the oil warm) when drained , replace plug and refil. it REALLY helps to remove one of the bolts holding the lift cable guide directly under the seat, this will let oil to be poured into a long neck funnel , into the dip stick pipe, if you don't do this , it will take forever because the air inside the tranny has to escape back up the dip stick tube and it will burp and bubble and take a long time.

someone on here will jump in and give you the exact amount of oil to use or you can just keep checking the dip stick, i usually have my oil mesured(ms) out and pour it all in at one time.

if you have the sunstrand hydro forget the above as i only have eatons and not familiar with them. hope this helps

jerrell

Workin_Horses

I believe my tractor has a sunstrand.

Is there anything special I have to do to complete the hose replacement process or can I just drain the tranny fluid, remove and replace the hose(s), refill the tranny, and then I am done?

Also, Does anybody have an electronic copy of a manual for this tractor?

Thanks