Sign in to follow this  
418a

tiller tines

418a

I was able to get a 36 inch tiller very cheap come to find out that it needs tines,not knowing they cost an arm or two,any ideas on how to fix the ones I have or make new ones or cross reference ones on different kinds of tillers.Any ideas would be GREAT.I have an 7-1252 Brian :omg:

kpinnc

Brian, I've had the same problem you do. Picked up a cheap tiller only to find worn out tines when I got it. Took a chance that I'd be able to find some and bought it anyway.

I found a set from an old Ford LGT that fit. They are the same tines, on the same ID shaft, but I had to drill one hole to match the WH axle pins. Pretty simple swap!

I would also imagine many tillers have similar tines, so if you can cut and weld steel, you've got options for modifying any set you find as well, or for changing the ones you have.

I have seen a set that the owner welded up a new leading edge, and ground them into a decent shape, but have no clue how well it works. Personally, I wouldn't advise that since the heat would change the temper in the steel. Just FYI...

Kevin

Jim_M

I had a Wheel Horse tiller that was repaired by the previous owner. The tines were almost worn out so he cut the tips off of a bunch of old lawn mower blades and welded them to the tines. It looked funny but boy did that tiller dig! I think it tilled better than one with new tines.

kpinnc

I had a Wheel Horse tiller that was repaired by the previous owner. The tines were almost worn out so he cut the tips off of a bunch of old lawn mower blades and welded them to the tines. It looked funny but boy did that tiller dig! I think it tilled better than one with new tines.

I kept my old tines. I'm gonna have to play a bit now. Dangit Jim! :omg::drool:

Kevin

KyBlue

Now ya got me thinkin too!!!!!! Dangit LoL

.5racer

Why cut and weld . Would it not be better to heat and bend ? Another idea would be to get some flat stock , heat , bend, quinch in old motor oil to harden cut edge ,,, waa laa ,, tiller tines !

linen beige

Why cut and weld . Would it not be better to heat and bend ? Another idea would be to get some flat stock , heat , bend, quinch in old motor oil to harden cut edge ,,, waa laa ,, tiller tines !

:omg:

418a

Thanks guys I was thinking about old lawnmower blades bolt or weld them in tillin I go.The other treads got me the pulley set-up,got to make them to.I think I'm going to hook it up to the C125 a coulple of pipe clamps I'm thinking and I hope that will work? Brian

Jim_M

I'm guessing the guy did it because he had a pile of old mower blades, a welder, worn out tines and some time on his hands.

If you heat the old tines and bend them you'll lose tilling depth because the tines will be shorter.

I thought about making some new tines for an old walk behind tiller that I have here and played around with oil hardening some hot rolled steel, but the results just weren't what I was hoping for. I'll probably buy a new set of tines for it one of these days.

418a

Jim,The steel not strong enough .Brian

Jim_M

Yup, that's what I found out.

418a

How about cheaper new tines and weld them on or bolt them in,theres no way that i can make the tines hard enough on my own.Maybe find something aftermarket that would work I just don't see paying 330.00 a side for new wheelhorse tines!! Brian

Jim_M

I found a set on eBay a while back that look like they would bolt right on a Wheel Horse tiller. They were listed as tines for a Roto-Hoe. $139.95 "Buy it now".

Most tiller tines are pretty close to the same. You may have to buy a cobalt drill bit and re drill one hole out of the 2 to make them fit but I'm betting you can find a lot of tiller tines out there that will work for a lot less money than Toro wants for a set.