Sign in to follow this  
clintonnut

The 550 and 1054 project

clintonnut

Hi,

We are deep into restoring these tractors now. Lots and Lots of sandblasting and metal work later we think we have something. The 550 will be done really soon but the 1054 I am just trying to get running with the new Clinton. Did a blast of almond last week and the red today. We put 4 coats on everything. Both the 1054 and the 550 engines are done and running so the rest is easy!!!! We got the suburban 550 at the show last year for $75 and it was a good buy. The 1054 currently has GT-14 rims but I will replace them as soon as I get some time to work up a sweat and put some tires on. My dad taught me how to use a spray gun when I was 10 and I am now 14 and can make the paint really nice. No runs!!

HPIM2582.jpg

HPIM2585.jpg

HPIM2588.jpg

HPIM2596.jpg

HPIM2599.jpg

HPIM2598.jpg

John(wallfish)'s Clinton Engine is hanging in this picture.

HPIM2597.jpg

wallfish

Nice job Charlie! :drool:

I'm glad to see your father taught you to wear a respirator too.

Is that my engine hang'n there? Make sure it doesn't drop :omg:

clintonnut

I just finished painting. I almost forgot about your Fairbanks recoil but I got it done. We are painting the engine Clinton style. The factory had a loop on top of the head that a wire would go through. It has 5 coats of red on it. I will probably get your engine running tomorrow or Thursday. You will get a full tour of the place on Friday.

Charlie

clintonnut

Will post pics of the 1054 tomorrow

Charlie

can whlvr

you should be very proud of your work charlie or should i say proud of your FUN job on your horses,its very nice to see some younger men using their hands to build something these are skills you will allways have with you,nice job !!! :omg:

HorseFixer

Good Job Charlie! :omg: uhhh is that Truck tool box still white now? :drool: or does it have essence of International Harvester Red? :drool:

Coadster32

Good work. Looks great Charlie. :omg:

bell

Looks GREAT Charlie!!! I can't wait to see pics of the 1054!

clintonnut

Here are a couple pics of the 1054 project. The engine is finished and I installed the front wheels today. I almost got it running but needed an engine pulley. I will post a picture of me driving it around tomorrow.

The big red torque monster Clinton 422

HPIM2575.jpg

1054 before deck off, new engine and repainted front wheels

HPIM2581.jpg

Charlie

clintonnut

Hi guys,

It runs very strong. I love the rib tires! That Clinton can pull the tree down.

HPIM2603.jpg

HPIM2604.jpg

Charlie

Operator

Charlie I'm impressed!! Very nice job. And like Wallfish said Tha's good to see you wearing a resperator.

Randy

CHARGER9AUTO

Hi,

We are deep into restoring these tractors now. Lots and Lots of sandblasting and metal work later we think we have something. The 550 will be done really soon but the 1054 I am just trying to get running with the new Clinton. Did a blast of almond last week and the red today. We put 4 coats on everything. Both the 1054 and the 550 engines are done and running so the rest is easy!!!! We got the suburban 550 at the show last year for $75 and it was a good buy. The 1054 currently has GT-14 rims but I will replace them as soon as I get some time to work up a sweat and put some tires on. My dad taught me how to use a spray gun when I was 10 and I am now 14 and can make the paint really nice. No runs!!

John(wallfish)'s Clinton Engine is hanging in this picture.

Charlie, I think you do Cool Spray Gun work to restore your 550 , 1054 tractors . :omg: Ben

clintonnut

Hi,

Just an update: We put most of the suburban together that we can without the transmission. Thanks Chris for the axle I will paint it with the transmission. The transmission is terrible. I think the last person thought water was a lubricant. The whole thing was seized up. Absolutely awful. I had a spare transmission with a couple parts to use but it will take a lot of sand to clean this piece up. The 1054 is chugging right along and I can see it as a future puller. I will probably paint it with the suburban transmission and axle.

HPIM2607.jpg

HPIM2608.jpg

HPIM2609.jpg

Charlie

clintonnut

Hi everyone,

Just found out I got some family coming to the show. My dad's uncle is coming and my uncle with his son Austin might be coming. Austin has a 400 we restored for him. We gave him the restored, rolling tractor after we sent him a clinton engine that was machined that needed to be put together and painted. It was like a father and son kit. He loves that tractor. I'll see if I can get some pictures of it or maybe get him to join the forum.

Just an update on the projects;

We realized that we won't get the 1054 done so we gave it a good cleanin' and we will repaint the grille and hood for it.

I got the 550's engine going yesterday after a good carburetor cleaning. We restored the engine for it about 5 years ago and I've been wanting to put it into a Suburban ever since. I got most of the frame assembled and the engine mounted. The transmission is ready to put back together after lots of haste. We have yet to paint the hood.

Pictures to come!

Charlie

clintonnut

Hi

Getting close. Will assemble transmission and paint it tomorrow. Engine runs like a clock. Still have to do hood and mount tires.

HPIM2611.jpg

HPIM2612-1.jpg

Charlie

TJ

Looks great. :omg:

HorseFixer

Looks great charlie! Can wait to see it at the show! :omg:

clintonnut

Just had to do it.

It was too nice for the tractors to sit in a dark barn.

HPIM2624.jpg

HPIM2625.jpg

HPIM2626.jpg

Going to shoot more red today and tomorrow. Will post pics VERY soon!

Charlie

bell

NICE lineup Charlie!!! :omg:

clintonnut

Was working hard the last 2 days.

Heres yesterdays paint:

HPIM2631.jpg

The 550 steering wheel with eastwood's steering wheel puddy applied:

HPIM2630.jpg

The fabrication of a new battery box for the 1054 which is now better than stock. Also note the grille and hood support!!!!!

HPIM2636.jpg

HPIM2638.jpg

HPIM2639.jpg

HPIM2640.jpg

Now just repaint the hood! No bondo here it is as straight as an arrow! We Welded on 1/4" washers to the outside for better mounting. Will finish the hood for the 1054 and the 550 next week! Since we have to do Almond-White again we will probably do the the temporary GT-14 rims on the back. We are going to buy a set of 7.60x15 tires from M.E. Miller later this year.

HPIM2641.jpg

HorseFixer

Did you guys weld or solder the edges of yer bat box? :omg:

clintonnut

We spot welded them together with a mig welder

Charlie

clintonnut

Hi,

We got the electrical system working today. I am still trying to get the tail light working I think it needs a better ground. The starter is so nice because I pulled a muscle badly by pulling it by hand.

Lights are VERY BRIGHT. Charges well, etc. etc.

HPIM2643.jpg

HPIM2645.jpg

Here are some parts we got from a junkyard. General rim and tire, 2 starter generators, two rear wheels, belt guard, Goodyear front sawtooth tires, etc.

HPIM2644.jpg

On the suburban we are waiting on some bearings for the transmission.

Charlie

Coadster32

Chugging right along. Good job. :omg:

clintonnut

Hi

I received the Straight from the Horse's Mouth 2nd edition today. It is #103.

The suburban tranny is done. Will paint it with the 1054 hood tomorrow.

HPIM2646.jpg

HPIM2647.jpg

HPIM2648.jpg

Charlie