Sign in to follow this  
grinch1989

Simple PTO Question

grinch1989

I have a 1985 312-8 with a (new to me) RD deck. I don't have an owner's manual for it, however in my dad's 1984 GT1100 manual the PTO to Deck belt should be in groove closer to the motor. However, we take his mule drive and belt off of his machine and put it on mine the belt is too short to make the large groove and I can only run it in the smaller (outer) groove. Is this because his is a briggs and mine a kohler? Thanks!

C-Series14

yes....

WheelHorse_of_course

yes....

So what is the dog in your sig?

Is it an Australian Shepherd pup? :omg:

C-Series14

Yep...bigger now!

Grinch, also, the belt does go towards engine.

can whlvr

I believe that the inner groove,is larger than the outer so it will spin the deck at the proper speed and the outer for slower needs such as tillers.

mcwh1950

Yep...bigger now!

Grinch, also, the belt does go towards engine.

:omg: mike you got me second guessing myself,are you saying that if i have a deck model number 05-36mr02 for a 1984 gt 1100 horizontal briggs that it will take a diff belt then a 1984 c-105 kohler horizontal . i have be wrong many time before, but i thought all belt were make for the model deck, and not the engine.

mcwh1950

I believe that the inner groove,is larger than the outer so it will spin the deck at the proper speed and the outer for slower needs such as tillers.

can whlvr. if you're using the outer groove for a tiller i think you might be wrong. the way i learn about the housing clutch was that all attachment that go behind the tractor you use the inner groove , and all attachment that you use for the front of the tractor you use the outer groove, except the lawn vac.

C-Series14

:omg: mike you got me second guessing myself,are you saying that if i have a deck model number 05-36mr02 for a 1984 gt 1100 horizontal briggs that it will take a diff belt then a 1984 c-105 kohler horizontal . i have be wrong many time before, but i thought all belt were make for the model deck, and not the engine.

Well, let me say that I don't know for a fact but I do know if you have 2 tractors with different engines, the deck's drive belt MIGHT not work because the engine's crankshaft center might be different. I know there is a little difference between my C-161 with the Kohler and my C-161 with the B&S. One of the belts worked on the other but I had to adjust the front mule drive way out to tighten the belt. Not sure what goes to what after many years of swapping stuff around!!! :drool:

Also depends if you use the same deck. If you use different decks then there are more different lengths...

So, in the end, I would be just guessing that is why his wouldn't fit... :drool:

grinch1989

Thanks for all the replies guys! Many variables=I will use what works! :omg:

Irv

The manual for decks says use inner groove (closest to motor) for mower deck. Manual for snowblower says use outer groove.

TT

From a mid to late 80's IPL:

PTObelt.jpg