Sign in to follow this  
formariz

formariz's RJ 59 "project"

formariz

A few years back I got this RJ because...it was there and I just can't help myself anymore. Although it does not look too bad it was a rust bucket.Seems that it was half submerged in mud in the past. Seat and front wheels were not salvageable, hood has a few holes on bottom where submerged but I think I can make something of it.

Incredibly enough once the carburetor was rebuilt the engine started on the first couple of pulls and it has great compression. It is a replacement probably right before the tractor was trashed.

I have been tackling it on my spare time. Now I got this NOS K91S that I am trying to fit in it.I need to drill new holes in the frame to do so. I am a little unsure on how this belt tensioner works on the RJs. It is the spring that attaches to the brake that puts tension on the idler pulley it seems. However it seems to me that it does not put enough tension since it the brake band will not only hit the tool box but also the axle. Keeping that in mind it is critical where to drill the mounting holes for the engine.

Any thoughts on this?

May0800031.jpg

May0800031.jpg

May08000341_r1.jpg

May0800029.jpg

May0800030.jpg

May08000361.jpg

IMG_3991.jpg

IMG_4175-1.jpg

IMG_4104.jpg

IMG_4234.jpg

IMG_4235.jpg

IMG_4236.jpg

IMG_4040.jpg

IMG_4257.jpg

IMG_4265.jpg

IMG_4266.jpg

IMG_4268.jpg

IMG_4270.jpg

IMG_4271.jpg

IMG_4273.jpg

IMG_4267.jpg

HorseFixer

Looks like it is comming along nicely! :omg:

Brian1045

I'm lovin' it!..Looks good!

:omg:

bitten

Can not tell you anything about the spring but it looks like you are doing a very nice job on bringing the old girl back to life.

P.J.

Stigian

Nice work Cas, You've done a great job there :omg:

How did the tank cleaning go? It's always interesting to see how the electrolysis lark works out..

clintonnut

Looks very nice.

When we restored our 58 we never had that problem. A couple ideas popped into my head. One is you could put the band into a bench vice and make it a little smaller. Another idea is to take the split pin out of the cam arm and tensioner pulley rod and drill a new hole crossways while the pulley is at a different angle.

Charlie

bell

Looks GREAT!!! Nice work! :omg:

clintonnut

I also noticed that on my RJ I dont have a second nut on the brake rod. Mine doesn't have one on the front. If you back off your front jam nut you should be able to let the brake band retract and the idler pulley should go down.

formariz

Thank you everyone.

That may be a good idea Charlie. Drilling a new hole slightly ahead to increase the tension. I am going to drill the frame as close as possible and if the belt tension is not enough I will then drill a new hole. Does yours have any other belt tensioner /retainer attached to the engine at the pulley or just the ideler wheel?

On a different note do you have any information on a Clinton Model 777A? The "kid" found one yesterday.

kpinnc

Cas I had my doubts when you started talking about the blue engine earlier, but I must admit it looks fantastic on that tractor!

Not claiming my opinion counts, by any means... :drool:

I look forward to more pictures of this! :omg:

Kevin

formariz

I was quite skeptical myself when I first got the engine and thought about fitting it to the RJ since this little engine is really bulky with with all the extra stuff on it, but once it was sitting on the frame it really fits pretty nicelly with only relocating switches and using a different air filter,the original one does do not clear steering shaft. I think that on the later 2piece transmission i would have been able to use the existing frame holes since that transmission does not have the two side plates sticking out in front, therefor allowing the engine to stay close to it.

Of course the main reason I wanted to use this engine was so I can use some of my lights.

clintonnut

Our tensioner is just like yours and there is a spring going from the brake rod arm to the back of the transmission.

One thing that puzzles me is wheel horse had the option of a starter generator on a RJ. How did they deal with clearance. Maybe they just hacked off part of the transmission plate? And if they moved up the engine they would need a different belt guard? :omg:

Charlie

formariz

When I last looked at the literature for that option I believe the photos showed the starter/generator in the front t of engine kind of mounted on the frame. This was literature from starter manufacturer and not Wheel Horse. I actually never saw one on a Wheel Horse.

I thought about cutting some of the transmission plate but then I would have issues with the shifter. Also I want to do this without physically changing tractor.

mike_1951

Nice looking start,keep going it will look nice when complete,I have brought home some alot worse looking , the one beside my name is one that I completed

Suburban 550

Lookin' good, Cas. :omg: Nice job fitting the engine in.

formariz

I finally got the engine in.Put the tractor together temporarily to try the engine and work the kinks out. This is one sweet engine.It starts instantly. Getting the right belt and correct tension has been a little difficult.I might have to elongate the holes in the frame like the originals so I can move the engine a little bit.

Surprisingly everything fitted without major modifications, I will eventually change the on/off switch and starter switch for a combination starter ignition switch and use a solenoid. This way it will go in the original switch hole in the hood.

The transmission which had a lot of water in it prior to flushing was not frozen but it isn't totally free. Although it is much better after driving around for a while it still is a little tough. When pushing the tractor backwards in neutral it seems like it wants to engage.Any advice on this?

IMG_4285.jpg

IMG_4283.jpg

IMG_4284.jpg

IMG_4282.jpg

IMG_4281.jpg

IMG_4279.jpg

IMG_4277.jpg

IMG_4278.jpg

Duff

Cas, you look like a very happy man on what is turning into a really nice tractor! Congratulations, and nice work!

Duff :omg:

bell

Cas, it looks REALLY good!!! Glad you got it going! :omg:

formariz

That is actually my son (also a Red Square member)riding it while I take the photos and hang on to my pants since I used my belt to hold the battery in place. :omg:

can whlvr

Better watch out that your son doesnt try to claim the tractor on account that his shoes match the battery holder :omg: Don

acsousa82

Better watch out that your son doesnt try to claim the tractor on account that his shoes match the battery holder

What can I say, I always try to dress for the occasion. :drool:

That K91S can certainly hold its own and no doubt will make that tractor! :omg:

Nicely done Pop!

Alex

_____

New Jersey