Sign in to follow this  
Duff

Possible Paypal scam...

Duff

Hi, folks,

Today I got two separate email messages telling me there was a Paypal alert waiting for me. The first thing I noticed about the messages is the "Recipient" field was blank. The text field was also blank. There was an enclosure which, when opened, directed me to click on a link and log in to my Paypal account. Being in the fraud investigation biz, I didn't bite. Instead, I closed my email then went to Paypal using the bookmark I already have for my account and guess what: NO alerts waiting for me!

Lately there have been a bunch of such "fake" messages, usually involving fraudulent banks or credit card companies (they may look remarkably legitimate)asking you to link to them and enter your account information or password. The scammers then harvest your information and use it to either tap you for funds or rack up chargs to your card. :omg:

Anyone else get one of these messages? I'm going to contact Paypal and see what they know.

Duff :drool:

Brian1045

I got a similar message in my email last year.The so-called "paypal" wanted me to verify my account.

I clicked on the link that looked just like paypals link. Something about it just didn't feel right though. I opened a separate window to paypals site and saw that a couple things were different.

The hoax site wanted we to verify my account by putting in my social security number and it also had a couple click able links that took me nowhere. More less it said "page cannot be displayed".

Well I did an IP trace on the hoax site and it showed me that the IP for it was in GERMANY!

I immediately responded to them with a horrible sounding msg. I more less told them I had their address and I may pay them a visit with a shotgun...lol. Of course I'm not going to Germany but I got to let off some steam.

You really need to be careful in cyberspace. Someone in another country ever gets your social, there is nothing you can do to get back your money.

formariz

Hi Duff

I get those messages on a regular basis. It seems to me that that when you use PayPal somehow it triggers them like someone is watching it. I contacted PayPal about it and it seems they can not do much about them. If you log on as they request on the messages, automatically they have your password and access to your account.Just delete them. They also show up for eBay stating your account has been suspended.

CasualObserver

you can forward those to spoof@paypal.com and they'll get it shut down. There's thousands of them out there, but every little bit helps.

Coadster32

you can forward those to spoof@paypal.com and they'll get it shut down. There's thousands of them out there, but every little bit helps

I agree. I went through the same thing last year... three times.

whchris

I knew i shouldn't have given them my social :omg: but i thought it was funny when they asked me to send them a bunch of signed blank checks but the guy assured me that that's how paypal works i spend the money and they just fill out the check and send it :drool: still wondering where these silly letters from the bank saying insufficient funds are coming from

no but more seriously i have gotten tons of them also from capitol one

T-Mo

I knew i shouldn't have given them my social :drool:

I knew I shouldn't have given them your social security number also, but..... :omg:

whchris

i was wondering why my taxes were addressed to Terry Reed