Sign in to follow this  
nwh1-0475

Which Horse should I use?

nwh1-0475

I am wanting to find a horse to put a FEL on but which one would be the best choice?

JimD

probably a gt14 or a c-195.

Jim_M

I have one on a D series and it works fine for me.

A 520-H would be a good choice also. They have heavy duty front spindles and wheel bearings and plenty of horse power. The gear reduction steering on a 520-H would help out a lot too.

C-Series14

C-Series is a good choice. Have seen them on everything from a B-Series to a D-Series though...

wh500special

Unless you can build/modify a loader, I'd be inclined to do the search the other way around...

Find the loader first, then find the mating tractor. Probably much easier that way since loaders are harder to come by.

I no longer have a WH loader, but think they work best on the 8-speed C-series tractors. Unless you have a foot control on a hydro you may find that you'll run out of hands trying to steer, operate the loader, and regulate speed and direction on a hydro tractor. The manual transmission is useful because you can clutch/declutch to slow down or speed up while entering a pile.

All around - for almost any job - the C-series is hard to beat. I much prefer them to any of the other tractors for any real work.

Steve

C-Series14

All around - for almost any job - the C-series is hard to beat. I much prefer them to any of the other tractors for any real work.

Steve

Now that is the truth!!! :omg:

HorseFixer

Gosh!! I love you Guy's Style! :drool: :omg:

C-120009.jpg

nwh1-0475

Well thanks for all of the info guys it is very useful and helpful. I was going to build my FEL if I can find some pictures as to how they are mounted to the tractor. I have been designing and building equipment for about the last 14 yrs where I work. Don't think this would be that difficult.

Again Thanks, Dustin

wheelhorse101

i have to agree with all the other guys with the c series tractors i got my FEL on my c-81-8 and i absolutely love it check her out

c81.jpg

Nick

Building your own loader might not be the cheapest option but it opens up any tractor model that you would like to use. Most of the factory units used a single size loader adapted to use on many different models so on some tractors it is a bit over sized. The older Johnson and Danco brands did have a model that looked to fit well on smaller tractors.

The factory loader sub frames clamp/bolt onto the transmission then hang from the mid hitch. Some sub frames did attach all the way up at the front hitch but I prefer the mid attached sub frame. The KW loader supports for the uprights run down to a bracket in the front hitch. Depending on the loader brand the pump is mounted under or to the side of the engine pto. The KW pump is mounted on the sub frame under the engine with sloted holes to tighten the drive belt. The uprights are used for an oil reservoir.

Ive used hydro tractors (C-195 and 520-H) for over 12 years and my small 8 speed for over 3. The gear drives have more power but the hydro for me can offer a bit more control. It all depends on the use and personal preference. If you want maximum destructive power a gear drive might be best. :drool:

A few pictures. :omg:

Lawn Ranger FEL

rock015-2.jpgtest4.gif

C-195 with KW and B100 with an Ark.

loader004-1.jpg

KW loader mounting locations.

Rear axle mount, mid mount and front.

KW001.jpgKW004-1.jpgKW007.jpg

jtmoyer

i liked my loader on the 520 because the front axle was a bit better then the rest of the horses. however i would have liked an 8 speed a bit better and the 20 hp was a bit of over kill to run the pump.